Conqueror USA. Finally?

Timgco

Adventurer
Saw you at the Boathouse District yesterday. Very nice setup.

Yes, fully loaded it would be about 470 lbs over. I've got a brake controller, Dynatrac Big brake kit, air bags and the Hemi so it doesn't do too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

west_ok

Adventurer
Saw you at the Boathouse District yesterday. Very nice setup.

Thanks I was out there trying to keep my head above water and my kayak under me. Little harder than I had anticipated, but sure is fun.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
We had the same experience when we had our Commander.

We have similar experience with the Airstream now. Believe it or not, people say: "I didn't realize that Airstreams were still being made!"

When we had the Commander, people would say: "I've never seen anything like that." And I would say, "I expect not, unless you've been to South Africa or Australia."

Fuji4

Observer
they look pretty cool. What am I missing about the pricing? Don't these commanders retail in SA for like 235-250k rand? that's under $20k USD. If you bought one there and put it in a container from cape town ($5k to LA) it would still be less than $25k... Maybe I am missing something about regulations, registration, outfitting for 110v or something.

Link working, agreed the site needs some work - http://conqueror4x4usa.com/

UEV 390 - $27,750.00
UEV 440 - $38,750.00
UEV 490 - $42,650.00

Looks like they will come very well equipped with 285/70-16 tires and National Luna 90L fridges among other things.

Link to the spec sheet - http://conqueror4x4usa.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Conqueror-North-America-Pricing.pdf

west_ok

Adventurer
they look pretty cool. What am I missing about the pricing? Don't these commanders retail in SA for like 235-250k rand? that's under $20k USD. If you bought one there and put it in a container from cape town ($5k to LA) it would still be less than $25k... Maybe I am missing something about regulations, registration, outfitting for 110v or something.

Sounds easy enough, why don't you do it?

Fuji4

Observer
I was really asking for some info - didn't some people buy these directly before? I mean, I am looking at Kimberleys and Bruce will outfit 110v and ship it no problems. Same with other Aussie MFG (pioneer, patriot, etc). and the exchange rate plays in your favor. Do you have any info as to what the american distrib does other than act as a middleman? Because conqueror puts these all over the world. Does the distrib have an exclusive license for all sales to the usa now? are they outfitting 110v stateside or in SA?

west_ok

Adventurer
I was really asking for some info - didn't some people buy these directly before? I mean, I am looking at Kimberleys and Bruce will outfit 110v and ship it no problems. Same with other Aussie MFG (pioneer, patriot, etc). and the exchange rate plays in your favor. Do you have any info as to what the american distrib does other than act as a middleman? Because conqueror puts these all over the world. Does the distrib have an exclusive license for all sales to the usa now? are they outfitting 110v stateside or in SA?

SA runs the wire installs the control panel and fridge all the other components are installed when they get stateside. David has distribution rights to North America. There's only one other Conqueror Caravan I know of that's ever been imported to the US and it was all SA spec. I looked at the Kimberly's also they look really nice they're just not a Conqueror. Some other costs that go into the USA spec'd trailers are the different regulations for DOT and changing out all the wear parts so they could be sourced here.

Fuji4

Observer
thanks for the info. I like what I see on these trailers.

It's interesting how each overseas MFG works for pricing, and they are all somewhat different. Kimberly (and other AUS) is-

"the pricing is based as follows:

Calculate the pricing from the Australian price guides, or do an online quote.

The export price is the the Australian price less 20% for export.

The export price includes shipping and insurance and unpacking at Los Angeles California for most products. There is a surcharge for the Kruiser and the Classic Kamper. Kimberley manage all the importation process with no involvement by the customer.

As Australia and the USA have a free trade agreement, there is NO DUTY or import taxes paid by Kimberley (or the customer).

The price is then further reduced by the exchange rate. At the time of this publication, the rate is US$0.75 = AUD1$ so you reduce the final price by multiplying by 0.75 to get the price in US$. Once you commit to purchase and pay a deposit, Kimberley lock the rate as at the date of deposit so a fixed price is assured.

Pricing summary: For a trailer with a AUD $100,000 retail price, the landed price to Los Angeles is around AUD$80,000 x 0.75 = US $60,000 . State Taxes have to be paid by the individual as applicable."

Bruder is similar (no real uncharge to outfit to USA spec) but CHARGES the container cost to LA -
"Bruder launched the EXP-6 in Australia this month, where it starts at AU$105,000. The first units will be delivered next month. Availability won't be limited to Australia as Bruder has its sights on the global market. In the US, the EXP-6 prices in at US$68,000. Bruder estimates a $3,000 US shipping cost and plans to set up a more formal distribution network by early 2017."

So i am trying to get a feel for the upcharge for conqueror between the home country price and the USA price as it compares to other off road campers. Because unfortunately, it really seems like the really top shelf stuff is coming out of SA and AUS. But the AUS companies seem to do the 110v stuff there, and there is no upcharge.

SA runs the wire installs the control panel and fridge all the other components are installed when they get stateside. David has distribution rights to North America. There's only one other Conqueror Caravan I know of that's ever been imported to the US and it was all SA spec. I looked at the Kimberly's also they look really nice they're just not a Conqueror. Some other costs that go into the USA spec'd trailers are the different regulations for DOT and changing out all the wear parts so they could be sourced here.

west_ok

Adventurer
thanks for the info. I like what I see on these trailers.

It's interesting how each overseas MFG works for pricing, and they are all somewhat different. Kimberly (and other AUS) is-

"the pricing is based as follows:

Calculate the pricing from the Australian price guides, or do an online quote.

The export price is the the Australian price less 20% for export.

The export price includes shipping and insurance and unpacking at Los Angeles California for most products. There is a surcharge for the Kruiser and the Classic Kamper. Kimberley manage all the importation process with no involvement by the customer.

As Australia and the USA have a free trade agreement, there is NO DUTY or import taxes paid by Kimberley (or the customer).

The price is then further reduced by the exchange rate. At the time of this publication, the rate is US$0.75 = AUD1$ so you reduce the final price by multiplying by 0.75 to get the price in US$. Once you commit to purchase and pay a deposit, Kimberley lock the rate as at the date of deposit so a fixed price is assured.

Pricing summary: For a trailer with a AUD $100,000 retail price, the landed price to Los Angeles is around AUD$80,000 x 0.75 = US $60,000 . State Taxes have to be paid by the individual as applicable."

Bruder is similar (no real uncharge to outfit to USA spec) but CHARGES the container cost to LA -
"Bruder launched the EXP-6 in Australia this month, where it starts at AU$105,000. The first units will be delivered next month. Availability won't be limited to Australia as Bruder has its sights on the global market. In the US, the EXP-6 prices in at US$68,000. Bruder estimates a $3,000 US shipping cost and plans to set up a more formal distribution network by early 2017."

So i am trying to get a feel for the upcharge for conqueror between the home country price and the USA price as it compares to other off road campers. Because unfortunately, it really seems like the really top shelf stuff is coming out of SA and AUS. But the AUS companies seem to do the 110v stuff there, and there is no upcharge.

Sounds like we were in the same boat. I had just about given up on Conqueror and was going the Kimberley route. But gave them one more call to see if me and a friend could get a couple containers of them then sell them but they had just made the deal with David. He's been great to deal with and he dealt with all the changes and certifications that had to be done. I'm glad it was him and not me. From the sounds of it that wasn't any fun. Good luck in your search if you get a Bruder you gotta let me know those look slick I just don't have the rig to tote it around.

Fuji4

Observer
Sounds like there is a good deal of value add with the conqueror Usa operation. Did you have to pay shipping to you from Ohio?
I hope you do a post about your thoughts after having it for a bit. Interested to hear what is good and bad.
Something like the Kimberley patriot or conqueror I would be ok with buying site unseen. They have track records and some feedback from users. The bruder I would love to put my hands on before pulling the trigger. It's a lot of dough and I like to do a firsthand try out on something I am going to use a lot and am supposed to fit in (6'4").

west_ok

Adventurer
I'm planning on starting a thread. I wanted to go up and help put it together so I went and picked it up myself.

Heakle

Saw the Conqueor trailers at the Overland East Expo last weekend. WOW, great trailers and the importer is in Ohio.

Attachments

• IMG_3248.jpg
    IMG_3248.jpg
    583.1 KB · Views: 45

El Diablo

I was hoping to make it to Expo East this year, but it just didn't work out. Instead, I was in Ohio camping so I called Conqueror to see if I could see them in person. He was at the Expo for the North America debut. Damn! Maybe next time. They seem like a great trailer. West_OK, I'm looking forward to your thread as I won't actually be in the market for one until I save some more cash.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shazpete