Considering a Frontier as overlanding platform, need some opinions

skibum315

Explorer
Yep, I got a similar letter, also in January (IIRC) ... thanks for the reminder, Mike. I often forget about stuff related to the SMOD or related warranty/settlement extensions/claims, after an initial passing interest, due to the fact I've got the manual trans.

... 'course I'm also easily distracted by shiny obj ... OH look a squirrel!!
squirrel-eating-big-nut.jpg

srileo

Thanks for the advise so far guys. Slight change of track here..

I am getting a bit frustrated with my truck search. Looking hard for a 2nd gen Frontier 4x4, crew cab, LONG BED, automatic. These are really extremely rare to find. Autotrader lists only 6 in the whole damn country right now, all in the east coast.

So, am starting to consider the first gen Frontiers. For some reason, the crew cab long bed 4x4 1st gens are more plentiful in the 1st gen. And a lot cheaper. And they seem to have a better reliability history than the 2nd gens (no radiator-transmission failures). However, there is the issue of them having only about 180hp on tap in the v6, though the supercharged version has 210hp. In your view, is that even sufficient to haul a 1000lb camper? Our jeep wrangler has about the 190hp and while it is fine for driving around on the highway, am not sure what 1000lbs will feel like..?

Mind you, the camper will be on permanently and the truck will not be our daily driver. Just excursioning.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I think the Frontier is a great choice. The cab is roomier than the Taco, and the ride and interior noise level is better as well. On the whole, a more pleasant place to spend mind numbing hours on the pavement getting to your destination.

I have had the opportunity to spend a fair amount of trail time comparing brand new 2012 Taco's to a 2007 Frontier. I was greatly impressed with the Frontier. The Taco in question was the latest and greatest, off road package, traction control, rear locker, etc..., but was completely stock. So was the Frontier. What impressed me the most, was that despite less overall ground clearance, the Frontier exhibited a significantly better suspension set up, with much greater articulation and better absorption and rebound control as well. I was also impressed that the Frontier's older TC system was not in any way inferior or slower in responsiveness or effectiveness compared to the Taco's traction control system. I think with a mild OME lift (2.5-3"), decent tires, and some armor, the Frontier would make an excellent vehicle for overland travel.

duckhunter71

Adventurer
Spend some seat time in a 1st gen before making that decision. They're quite a bit smaller inside and are definitely down on power when compared to the 2nd gen trucks. I like them both. I like the simplicity of the first gen, but the 4.0L V6 in the 2nd gen is a big selling point for me. My 07 Crew Cab Nismo 4x4 gets over 20 mpg on the highway (driving 60ish) and about 18 mpg on the interstate (75ish mph). That being said, if you spend the majority of your time in flatter terrain, the 3.3L in the first gen may be enough. I spent enough time in a friend's 03 Xterra in college to know that the 3.3L was underpowered when it comes to the hills and mountains we have here in NW Arkansas.

I fully support either generation of Frontier, though. I have always been a Tacoma fan, but there is nothing the Tacoma offers that justifies the price premium over the Nissans. I'm very happy with the size and driving dynamics of my Frontier and feel like you would too.

wesel123

Explorer
So does anyone know if there is still an issue with the radiator/tranny leak??? I picked up a 2012 Pro-4X and am curious.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I have a first gen Xterra (170 hp) and it does fine. I haven't done a lot of towing but I have towed around 3000 lbs a few times and it does quite well, just takes a bit longer to get up to speed.

The Xterras are rated for 5000 lbs and I imagine the frontiers would be the same.

Don't forget there was a factory supercharger available in both the frontier and xterra. Added about 40 hp and ft lbs of tq (ish) if I am not mistaken

srileo

I learned about the supercharger on the 1st gen just today. Looks like 210hp total. Thats not bad at all. How is the reliability of the superchargers? Also, does the SC kick in only when when going uphill or is it on all the time?

I have a first gen Xterra (170 hp) and it does fine. I haven't done a lot of towing but I have towed around 3000 lbs a few times and it does quite well, just takes a bit longer to get up to speed.

The Xterras are rated for 5000 lbs and I imagine the frontiers would be the same.

Don't forget there was a factory supercharger available in both the frontier and xterra. Added about 40 hp and ft lbs of tq (ish) if I am not mistaken

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Superchargers run off the engine belts (not exhausts like turbo) so they are essentially running all the time.

The only "knocks" against the superchargers I have heard of are the knock sensors have a tendancy to fail (simple fix),you have to use premium fuel and the gas mileage is worse than the regular (which is not great anyways)

nasko

Adventurer
I would avoid the SC, it takes only premium gas, has a finicky knock sensor which is expensive to replace. I had a 2002 SC Xterra and I liked it apart from the MPG, currently drive a 2005 manual Xterra and think it has a much better engine. Hope it helps

srileo

Nasko,
that is great info. The knock sensor - what is the replacement cost we are talking about? Premium gas in the US is no problem for me. The mileage loss, i think i can live with considering we drive a jeep wrangler right now at 18mpg.

I would avoid the SC, it takes only premium gas, has a finicky knock sensor which is expensive to replace. I had a 2002 SC Xterra and I liked it apart from the MPG, currently drive a 2005 manual Xterra and think it has a much better engine. Hope it helps

mortonm

Expedition Leader
The knock sensor failure is common on all. Had to do mine. The part is about $250 or so, however its in a real pain in the *** spot to get to on the NA 3.3 so on the supercharged I would think it would be even worse.

I believe the supercharged engines go into limp mode if the knock sensor fails.

You will wish you had 18 mpg. I get about that hwy, little more.

Better figure somewhere around 15mpg at best for the supercharged under mixed driving

srileo

Hmm, you make me want to consider the 2nd gen more seriously. From what i am gathering here, it looks like the 1st gen is good only for the occasional heavy load. Hauling a 1000lb + camper fulltime might not be a bright idea on a 180hp motor...

guess i'll just wait and hope a nice 2nd gen turns up..

nasko

Adventurer
wow 18 MPG with the SC was hard to come by, only on the high way and with 100km/h or less. I honestly do not think the SC ones are worth it. The knock sensor online can be had for $50 from ebay, (OEM). However the labour to do it right would be $600-1000 or so. There is a knock sensor relocation, which is relatively easy and does OK. The difference between the NA engine and the SC ones are that the NA will function fine without a knock sensor, where the SC ones goes into limp mode. There is quite a bit of info on the subject at clubxterra.org. Right now here in Ontario the 2nd Gen Xterra's are getting to be around $8000, the Frontier's are a bit more, but still a lot more reasonable than the Tacoma's. I definitely prefer the 2nd Gen X to the 1st. I really liked everything about the 2002 Xterra other than the SC 3.3 engine (reliable, but THIRSTY, power/MPG ratio is very low IMO) Cheers

Last edited:

duckhunter71

Adventurer
Hmm, you make me want to consider the 2nd gen more seriously. From what i am gathering here, it looks like the 1st gen is good only for the occasional heavy load. Hauling a 1000lb + camper fulltime might not be a bright idea on a 180hp motor...

guess i'll just wait and hope a nice 2nd gen turns up..

I think you'll be glad you did. Ironically, when I was looking for my truck all of the good deals were CC Long Beds and I was set on a shorty!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal