Considering a Frontier as overlanding platform, need some opinions

Nadnarb

Hey Guys,
I'm thinking about starting a slow build on my 06 Nismo Quad Cab Frontier and thought this would be a great place to start kicking some ideas around. I'm interested in learning as much as I can about overlanding and the best and most usefull modifacations to make to my truck. I've had other trucks in the past that I've lifted but am now more interested in function over flash, really drooling over the OME full lift with HD leaf springs. 1.5-2 inches of lift would be fine, but right now a lift is down the road when the cash is there. I dont want to get stuck modifying without ever getting out there and doing. So I am looking for first basic, cheap and reliable mods that I can do to get me out in the wilderness.

To all the guys wondering about transmission failures and the process to get it fixed feel free to ask. I've had 2 new transmissions in the time I've owned this truck. Both were under warranty and neither failed in the same way. First tranny died in Rangeley and limped home only to be covered under warranty by 300 miles. Had a replacement tranny put in but the old radiator was kept, dealer didn't know about cross contamination at the time since I was the first in the state with this problem. 18 months later and it died again. It never showed any strawberry radiator fluid but there was a shake under partial throttle. If you're looking to buy a used truck I would advise you to take the truck up above 45 mph and let the OD kick in under partial throttle. If there is a shaking then run away and hide. The tranny is just waiting to die. And it only really shows under partial throttle going into OD, I was able to make it disappear by turning the OD off.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
You don't "need" to do anything to your truck to enjoy over landing. Seriously. But, a lift and good tires (in that order), will greatly extend the type of terrain you can safely visit.

What you do Need, are basic items, such as:
- quality tire repair kit
- air compressor/PowerTank
- first aid kit and Wilderness First Aid training
- maps and navigation training, maybe a GPS too, but maps first.
- recovery gear (straps, shackles, gloves, etc...)
- basic tools for trail side repairs
- a good cooler or fridge
- good sleeping gear
- performance clothing

That's it. Now GO!

srileo

Thanks for keeping the thread going. And the terrific advise about what to look for in the tranny. I resolved that i dont want to buy any frontier with more than 70k on it, just for the reason you showed.
My own search for the perfect nissan has been rather painful. Found the dream truck that my wife and i loved - red brick, 4x4, long bed, low miles, great price, and just down the road from us. Took it for a drive and loved it. But the dealer sold it from under us, after we had done all the paperwork and were due to return the next day to pick her up. sigh.. wife was heartbroken. and i know it will be a long wait until we find this combination again. Oddly enough, the long bed 4x2 are really difficult to sell, and the long bed 4x4 are really difficult to find.

Hey Guys,
To all the guys wondering about transmission failures and the process to get it fixed feel free to ask. I've had 2 new transmissions in the time I've owned this truck. Both were under warranty and neither failed in the same way. First tranny died in Rangeley and limped home only to be covered under warranty by 300 miles. Had a replacement tranny put in but the old radiator was kept, dealer didn't know about cross contamination at the time since I was the first in the state with this problem. 18 months later and it died again. It never showed any strawberry radiator fluid but there was a shake under partial throttle. If you're looking to buy a used truck I would advise you to take the truck up above 45 mph and let the OD kick in under partial throttle. If there is a shaking then run away and hide. The tranny is just waiting to die. And it only really shows under partial throttle going into OD, I was able to make it disappear by turning the OD off.

duckhunter71

Adventurer
That's rough! At least you know that you like them and what you're looking for now. I love that Red Brick color, hopefully you can find another one!

humz

Good luck with the search! I've had my 2010 Pro-4x since new and couldn't be happier. Since then I've added 255/85/16 km2's (33"), full heftyfabworks skid set, calmini rear bumper, and titan swap with SAW coilovers.

But with a good skid set and a set of 33's on a 2" lift, you will be able to take it just about anywhere.

IrishXJ

Observer
A little late to the party, but...

I've had my SV Frontier since last July. Still stock, but I've had an absolute blast in the thing. By the time this weekend rolls around, the odometer will roll over 15,000 miles. I have not had a single issue out of the truck, save for the fact that the oil filter is fairly difficult to change, until you get the hang of it. I've taken it through Daniel Boone National Forest and Land Between the Lakes without much trouble -- all stock. The truck is surprisingly capable in stock form, and the manual transmission works perfectly with the 4.0L. I desperately loved my old Cherokee, but I've been won over this new thing.

I'll be putting 235/85/16 Toyo Open Country A/T II's on it within the next two months or so. The trade-off in better fuel economy and initial savings of not having to lift the truck to fit the slightly taller (and narrower) tire, means more money for things like a fridge, armor, things to make trips more comfortable -- and more importantly, the trips themselves. :smiley_drive:

IMG_0018.jpg

Plus -- the name of the paint for this truck is stealth armor. I officially have a stealth truck. My adolescent fantasies could not be any more fulfilled than they already are.

Sangster

Adventurer
My '08 Frontier Nismo 4x4 crew cab has been great. 197k miles and no major issues. didn't do the radiator bypass either.

Tappet

Observer
Some Navaras/Frontiers in Australia do come with the 4 litre engine. So I imagine parts would not be an issue here . US Frontier is not exactley the same as the the Spanish built Aussie version of the truck but the're close and share quite a few components.

As far as mods go. A trans cooler fluid to air. 2inch lift, any higher with these trucks comprimises reliability, along with UCA to coil bucket contact. Some decent under body protection, they are fairly exposed. A decent bumper, the're fairly prone to damage at the front to. Possibly look at a larger fuel tank, it can be a long way between drinks in some parts here.
I would pay particular attention to the cam chain and tentioner. Nissans are weak in this area and my diesel version here is no better.

2011 Navara ST-X King Cab, 6 speed, Diesel

Last edited:

duckhunter71

Adventurer
Originally Posted by Laxaholic

What years can you easily find the manual trans with the 4.0?

As far as I know the V6/6 speed combo has been widely available from 05-13. I see several 6 speed models available on Craigslist regularly.

nw-outlaw

Im looking at buying a 2010 frontier with 56k miles, will nissan do the bypass for me under warranty? Or is the warranty only if i am already having problems with the coolant leaking into the tranny fluid?

duckhunter71

Adventurer
Im looking at buying a 2010 frontier with 56k miles, will nissan do the bypass for me under warranty? Or is the warranty only if i am already having problems with the coolant leaking into the tranny fluid?

Just to clarify, Nissan won't do the bypass. If there is an issue within the confines of the extended warranty, they'll fix whatever breaks. The bypass is something you will have to do yourself if you so desire.

Mo4130

Adventurer
From what I have gathered, the 2010 radiators are of a new a design so there are no issues with the coolant lines busting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal