Considering a Go-Fast Camper - Interested in real world experiences and reviews.

Matt1377

I put my deposit down a few days ago. The wait is not a huge issue right now since I use my ARE camper shell to adventure out of now. We have 2 toddlers and will utilize the GFC upstairs tent as their bedroom. The bride and I will continue to sleep on top of the drawer system in the bed of the truck. Totally pumped about the GFC though. My only issue was I wanted to be able to lock and open the back panel from an inside latch. No option as of yet for that, but that didn’t put a damper on me ordering one.

Hey, I put my deposit down in June (number 739...haha). They quoted me on September 2020, but being a project manager I feel like they are giving themselves a larger window to deliver.

Do you feel like your camper will be done before their original date?

Thanks!

Matt1377

Hello,

Are you getting ready to get in line for a GFC Camper ( https://gofastcampers.com/pages/camper-landing )? If so, here's your chance to move up the waiting list at no cost to you.

I put my $575 deposit down on a GFC Camper back in December 2018. The Camper no longer makes sense for me so I'm offering up my spot on the waiting list. I'm not looking to make any money on the deal - just want to get my deposit back. I'm #457 (out of 677 currently) on the Go Fast Camper (GFC) "Leaderboard" for a new Camper ( https://gofastcampers.com/pages/leaderboard ). I've been in contact with GFC and they say transferring my spot is no problem (will send you GFC emails if interested and can confirm with them again w/ you in the loop if you're serious). At the rate they're producing Campers this could save you up to 10 months of wait time. The deposit would be applied to the full purchase price and you would still be able to configure the Camper to your specs (mid-size vs. full size, color, window, etc). Let me know if you're interested and we can figure out the transfer.

Matt

Just curious. When you put your deposit down December 2018. What did they quote you on a complete date?

Thanks!

Kwood4life

Just curious. When you put your deposit down December 2018. What did they quote you on a complete date?

Thanks!
I have been waiting for my GFC since October 2018 they say it should be ready by mid to late August but I don't see that happening. When determining to make the purchase for a GFC the estimated delivery time should not be a high priority. If you want this thing you've got to be willing to just sit back and wait with no expectation. This company is changing rapidly when it comes to production so who knows what things will be like in one year from now. Maybe it will take longer, maybe it will be sooner, it's just too hard to determine. Probably not sooner

rodred28

If anyone changes there mind about there camper and needs to sell there spot in line I would be interested. Looking to purchase a GFC but the wait on there website says production start will now be January 2021.

shade

That's ridiculous.
I agree, but I'd rather see them self-limit than burnout. Are they hitting their delivery dates?

I haven't kept track of their output or growth of their shop. When I was there last fall, they had plans to basically double the size of their facility by taking over some adjacent space, but that may not have happened. It also seemed that the labour market in Bozeman was pretty tight, so that may be hurting them, too.

Roger M.

Adventurer
The real issue with wait times is that they rarely decrease on extremely popular products (of which the GFC certainly is one) ... rather than get ever longer.
A two or three year wait time will ultimately drive potential GFC customers away in large numbers, and really isn't anything close to a sustainable business model in the long term.

They have a hot product, and they have the opportunity to sell potentially hundreds more units than they currently are able to sell ... and this is the point in business where you go seek outside investors to ramp up your production to a point where your capacity meets your products ongoing demand.

Doing what they're doing now will inspire dozens more "imitators" (as it already has), many of whom will take business away, and one (or more) of which will invariably come out with a more popular product that will then become the next "hot" property to own, and which will reduce the desirability of the GFC to a point where rather than see their business grow, they'll see it diminish.
The GFC most definitely isn't a niche market item (like for example, an Ursa Minor top, which is somewhat Jeep dependant), it's marketing itself in the world of truck caps and canopies in general, their customer base is literally every person on earth who owns a pick-up truck.

The GFC is a super-hot overland item right now ... and GFC needs to seriously strike while the iron is hot!

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
A two or three year wait time.... isn't anything close to a sustainable business model in the long term.

They have a hot product, and.....this is the point in business where you go seek outside investors to ramp up your production to a point where your capacity meets your products ongoing demand.

Doing what they're doing now will inspire dozens more "imitators" (as it already has), many of whom will take business away, .....which will reduce the desirability of the GFC to a point where rather than see their business grow, they'll see it diminish.

The GFC is a super-hot overland item right now ... and GFC needs to seriously strike while the iron is hot!

Those are some thoughtful and otherwise reasonable comments, but as a retired university College of Business professor, I will offer another point of view.

Growth strategy for any business, but especially for a newer one, has to be planned to occur in a sustainable manner.

The huge delay between the time it takes to raise additional investment money, build expensive new facilities and then finally ramp up your production levels, will also often allow competitors of a hot product like GFC’s to enter into the market and steal away one’s market share....similar to the comment above about imitators taking away market share because you cannot produce fast enough to meet your backed up orders.

Even though, as pointed out above, the potential market for GFC and similar shells may be enormous, it’s extremely risky for a newer, growing business to rely on hypothetical, expanded sales projections as the sole basis for taking on huge, burdensome new debt levels for the construction of new production facilities.

Too often, by the time the new company has finally completed its new facilities, the wave of product popularity has already crashed upon the rocky shore and ebbed back into the fickle sea...leaving that company now struggling mightily to try to cover its current, higher debt obligations while sadly also watching its sales figures drop and fail to keep up with its new, much higher overhead costs.

The result then:
Possibility of bankruptcy for the once promising business.
(See XP Campers as a perhaps similar type of situation)

So, you see, it’s just not that easy or safe for a smaller company to speedily, economically, sustainably ramp up production when the sudden explosion of popularity of a new product seems to otherwise mandate that path.
(Class Dismissed! ?)

Last edited:

shade

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

GFC's wait time is long, no way around that. A year ago, they were in the process of automating more processes to speed production while keeping labour costs under control. Seeing them adopting as much CNC machinery as they can afford speaks well of their plans and skills, IMO. They were also located in a mini-industrial park, with the possibility of doubling their work space, allowing them to take over the whole gated complex. Their plans were realistic at that point, but that was many orders ago. I haven't kept in touch, so I don't know if they followed through on any of that, or where they stand WRT numbers shipping per week.

I know nothing about their business plan or finances, but they've done better than some fabricators that struggle to run a business. As @Roger M. said, they're probably missing out on many sales due to the long lead times, but @AbleGuy makes excellent points about the risks of overexpansion. Last year, unexpected steel tariffs hit GFC hard, as well as many other smaller shops that can't easily absorb abrupt increases in costs or lack of availability. A rise in fuel prices could dampen the entire "overland" industry, sweeping away many smaller manufacturers. They're still very much in a critical phase of development as a company, and a succession of bad decisions or unlucky breaks can take them down.

Graeme, Wiley, & Ross are smart guys, and the Bozeman area seems like an excellent place to run an outdoor business and attract investors. I saw a lot of promise in the company and was one of their pre-order customers. So far, the only issue I've had with my camper was with the tent latching pins getting stuck in their tube, which I remedied myself and took measures to prevent in the future. Other than that, the camper has been a great purchase. If GFC can continue to grow in a sustainable way, I think we'll see them close the gap on lead times, but I know that there's a lot of hard work needed to get them to that point. I'm betting they'll make it.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Loved the Dangerfield clip! Boy, did that bring back some memories...

Thanks for adding a rare bit of levity to the discussion.

So folks....Have we solved all of the problems yet ? ?

oheric!

SOLD! I recieved the sample kit yesterday and an email stating that production on mine starts within 12 weeks. GFC Platform Camper (Standard) It is Unit #590.
$500 deposit PM if interested.

Last edited:

Superduty

Adventurer
Maybe a dumb question. Am I correct that you enter the sleeping area by opening the tailgate and climbing into the bed of the truck? At that point do you have to close the tailgate from inside the bed? I imagine the hatch that closes to the tailgate is easy to close and is lockable from the inside?

shade

Maybe a dumb question. Am I correct that you enter the sleeping area by opening the tailgate and climbing into the bed of the truck? At that point do you have to close the tailgate from inside the bed? I imagine the hatch that closes to the tailgate is easy to close and is lockable from the inside?
Yes, but you could also use the larger rear tent door for entry if you added a ladder or step stool. It may sound more complicated than it is.

1. Pull the tailgate closed from inside the truck bed
  2. Climb into the tent bed
  3. Replace the tent floor cushion
  4. Unzip the rear tent door
  5. Close & latch the rear canopy door
  6. Lock the tailgate & canopy door - if desired

The sequence can be a done this way if you want to avoid external latching.
  1. Close tailgate
  2. Pull canopy door closed from inside
  3. Wedge or tie off the canopy door so it won't easily pop open
  4. Enter tent bed and replace tent floor cushion

Superduty

Adventurer
Do most folks set up a ladder or stool and enter similar to a roof-top tent or is the preferred method to enter via the tailgate? I have a Ford F350 - opening and closing the tailgate while in the bed of the truck is no easy task. I suppose much easier on a Tacoma.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333