Containerized: Retromod Global Tacoma

Containerized

Adventurer
Okay, okay, people have been asking for more info on the XZL's.

They're slightly more than 36"... they're 925mm in diameter, which is about 36 1/3 inches, nearly 36 1/2.

People also wanted to see markings, since most XZL pics on the web are of older tires, not ones made in 2012 or more recently.

Note that tires made after June of 2009 will have four rows of tread blocks instead of three and are somewhat quieter.

Note that all tires marked XZL should say MADE IN FRANCE and should not have any gap between the tread and the carcass. If there is a gap between the tread and the carcass, it is a retread (even a 1/16" gap). If there is not a MADE IN FRANCE marking, you are looking at an XZL manufactured before 2005 that has been retreaded with the new-style tread. In short, learn about these tires if you plan to buy them. As with all things where where middlemen are making substantial amounts of money, buyer beware.

Here are some pictures (nice sunny day today):

1238343_379297605532257_28826432_n.jpg

1185715_379297565532261_1967341743_n.jpg

1236991_379297168865634_2141226193_n.jpg

Last edited:

toyotech

Expedition Leader
good info there. i hear a few talks about these tires. what is the big deal about them? are they good DD tires...

Containerized

Adventurer
Well, where I live (primarily) there is one paved road within 250 miles. Hence, when I'm at home, I rarely exceed 35mph or so.

As nearly all driving is on packed dirt roads or "barely improved" paths, all of which turn to mud in the rainy season, performance on dirt and mud is far more important than road manners.

That said, the road manners of the XZL are shockingly good for a tire designed for "80% off road" use according to Michelin. And they balance easily and beautifully for a tire of this weight and size.

The KM2's did well in Uganda, but I expect the XZL to be even better in these conditions.

But for a daily driver in the U.S. or any developed country? Seems like anything like the XZL or even the KM2 would be a big compromise of on-road manners for people who are only off tarmac 20% of the time (or maybe 10%?).

The big deal is how good the tires are off-road, that they are radials (most tires in this size are bias-ply and balance poorly), and that they have extremely tough steel-belted sidewalls.

Aegis

K9 Handler
Though I'm not necessarily a fan of the front-clip situation, you built it with your money, not mine -- so it's a moot point, haha.

Overall though, I think this is just supremely fantastic, and a properly brilliant way to use the money if you have it. Cheers, and I'm looking forward to any and all updates!

A quick question/request: how do you like the XMITTERs in the front/do you have any shots of it all lit up? :)

Containerized

Adventurer
I like the XMITTERs and they're plenty for what I do, given that the truck very rarely exceeds 40mph.

If I were like some of you who are on highway/pavement more frequently, I might want to be able to throw more light, or throw it further.

I can take a few pictures tonight of what it looks like with everything turned on.

Containerized

Adventurer
Sorry for the low-quality phone pics, but this gives you an idea. This is just with low-beams on the 80 Series housings.

1269272_389920844469933_258981199_o.jpg

Here's low beams plus XMITTERs in the center grille and 2x2 LED flood-pattern squares off to the side (on the stock fog switch).

1267176_389920841136600_1840875720_o.jpg

Containerized

Adventurer
Can try to get some pattern shots later. But it definitely lights up the road and (most importantly) the edges of the road well. Much more concerned about not hitting a cattle or any of the many small deer-like creatures around than I am concerned about seeing far off into the distance. A roof (or "over windshield") bar might be best to really throw light far out there... lots of examples of that on other Tacos.

Aegis

K9 Handler
How can you tell by looking straight on at the lights? All I see is lens flair.

There's some flair there, but it's controlled and directed to some effect; not just smudgy and muted. Also looks like it has a solid overlap. Obviously a shot from inside the cabin or behind the rig would offer some better insight, but working with what's given, doesn't look to be all that bad :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad