Converting the ac compressor to on board air

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Has anyone converted the ac compressor into a on board air system? I was wondering what I would need for fittings and lines?

Cody1771

Explorer
there was actually an article about this in Petersons 4Wheel awhile back... aparantly its not hard todo. just a matter of wiring the electric clutch to a switch and pressure cutout. then of course getting fittings that work, and fixing an intake filter

Waytec

Adventurer
I converted my A/C compressor in my 95 XJ. Many magazines have done conversions over the years, but each time they used a kit from someone. I found it cheaper to get everything from local sources and build it my self.
It cost me about $400 Canadian. Including two Viair 2.5 gallon tanks at $80 each. And it is not that hard.

luckyrxc

Observer
ac compressor

Must you use an air tank for this? Is there enough output from the compressor that you could omit the tank(s) and go directly from the compressor to an air hose for such tasks as airing tires or running an air tool?

Thanks and sorry for the hijack.

Lucky

Waytec

Adventurer
I would have a small tank 1 liter or so because the compressor is a constant out put. If you just hook up the hose it will expand the hose until it ruptures. (Seen it done) You will also need a pressure switch that shuts the compressor off when the tank is at max pressure giving you a small reservoir at also acts like an accumulator. The Warn Power Plant uses a small tank as well.

Last edited:

jwtrapper

Observer
I have a york compressor on my cherokee, right now I don't have a tank and it takes a bit longer to air up. I am not able to use air tools either. On my last two jeeps (yj, xj) I had air tanks on them with the york and it was much better and I could run any airtool that I wanted to. I just haven't gotten around to putting in the tank on my new build yet.

TOTJ

Adventurer
I use to work for Kilby Ent. and can fil you in a bit.
First off if it were a york, No problem but if you use the factory
compressor you will need to put in a pre oiler. This will put some
oil into the compressor as it runs. Rottory type compressors dont
have a oil crank case like a york. Then you will need a COALESCING FILTER
to remove the oil that gets past the compressor. You would also need
this with a york. Then a pressure switch so it will turn off of the compressor
at 140 to 150psi. A small Air tank is a good idea. Its easier on the compressor.
Here is the Diagram from KIlby's site
OBA-cat-schematic.jpg

As you can see this is with a York using a oil return line from the coalescing
filter.

GetBentFab

I'm doing an on board air system using the york compressor in my Wagoneer and here's something I found about controlling the excess oil problem.

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/york_mod/index.asp

Most write ups I've found detail "The hard way" but after reading "The easy way" I can't imagine doing it the hard way!

There's also mention of venting the crank case that isn't usually mentioned in other write ups but it sounds like something to seriously consider doing in my opinion.

Another tip listed on this write up that I like the the "Load Genie Unloader"

Here's another good write up.

http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/project-cj7/project-cj7-onboard-air-York-install.htm

TOTJ

Adventurer
Brad Kilby and I have tried all those mods and they never make much diffrence. York Compressors dont have oil rings on the pistons.
The best way to keep your oil down is 1st dont race the engine when
the compressor is engaged. 2nd Use a good coalescing filter that is no closer then three feet from the compressor. Use a air tank 1 to 2.5gal. No bigger
If you smell its getting hot stop using it for a little bit to let it cool. Hot oil is thin oil

Donsfast

Observer
I dont have a tank and have great results, airs tires up quick etc. If you plan on using air tools often a tank is a great idea though since it gives a great volume and longer time with full PSI. I ended up making a copper line coming out of the compressor, like what others have mentioned a rubber hose will get hot and POP off. I got everything from the hardware store except for a pressure cut off switch which I ordered from Kilby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad