Coolant Filters

gtbensley

Explorer
Would it work to install a filter in the coolant lines that went to the rear heater? Right now I've just got a loop of line to connect them together (since the heater has been removed).

The advantage would be that it would be mounted to the frame rail where space is plentiful.

Mine have shut off handles for the rear heat allowing mr to stop the flow, so I imagine it's a non critical flow if it's shut off.

kcernest

Observer
I put on the NAPA coolant filter kit and got a bunch of the filters with SLC additive in them. After pulling out the rear heater unit in my ambo I just ran the heater supply in and the return out, mounted the thing where the manifold for the heater was under the drivers side frame rail. For you guys running the IDI you should be running coolant with SLC and not putting ELC in there. The SLC prevents cavitation, which these are prone to and is their only detractor.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Good to know. I've got a PSD, but figure on doing the same as you have.

I'm going to check around on filter sources locally vs online and compare price & quality.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Called around. Can pick up a Baldwin base locally for $42 out of Vancouver... and $15 for the filter to go on it. Add < $10 for fittings and I'll be set to go.

Way to go Coast Industrial!

If you've not already ordered the filter Dave, don't go steal mine.

I know the filter doesn't have additive. However, since I Just changed more than 6 gal of coolant, I should be good for a while. I figure I should change it a couple times on a short interval and then I'll consider switching to filters with additive.

For all of you south of the 49th, $72=<$55 usd... without any shipping on top of it.

Last edited:

FDM2012

Adventurer
Here is mine after about 3k miles on it. Not horrible, but not pretty, either.

My motor now has about 179k on it. I will do the next one at 5k miles.

Glad I did it!

IMG_20170211_101134.jpg

Navi

Adventurer
Didnt realize this thread exists. Looks like i have some reading to do. I hope i can make the Mishimoto 6.4 kit works becausevit already shipled!

derjack

Adventurer
When you look into the YT video you'll notice what really matters: CHANGE EVERY 15K!

My guess is that all filters we've seen in this thread were not installed on engine with 15k changes on their whole lifetime..

Navi

Adventurer
The mishimoto 6.4 kit worked great for my 6.0 van. Their brackets bottom 2 bolts need just a little finesse to mount up to the stock water/fuel seperator under the drivers door. I tied it into the rear heat hose under the dog house and then up to the degas bottle. I had to buy a 90° brass elbow to mount one of the ball valves for clearance reasons.
I'll change the filter next week sometime and cut it open.

clarkh

Observer
What coolant are you guys using in your 7.3? Mine is a 2000 and currently running the motorcraft green after I flushed it a year ago. I'll be filling my hydronic loop soon and figure they should be the same so the hydronic can be used in motor if needed. Pretty sure I can use the ELC but curious what you guys are using. ELC seems easier to find as well.

This coolant filter seems like a good idea, adding it to my list of future upgrades

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I'm using the Rotella ELC concentrated.
I've found it at all the tractor supply co. I've been to. And less than $15 a gallon too.

VOODOO7.3

Adventurer
I used Delo ELC. It was rated excellent but not available locally, so I had it shipped. When I replaced my radiator I did a complete flush. Used about 14 gallons of distilled water flushing several times, and a few more for coolant mixture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach