Cooper ST's - 255/85/16

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
How much tread depth so you have remaining?

Yep, I think aftermarket siping is great for traction with most tires, but not necessarily good for chunking/chipping. I have siped many a tire, but not my S/Ts.

Last edited:

jim65wagon

I answering this question from Jim over here because it seems like a better place to comment and share...

The Cooper S/T (Sure Trac)

It's not the most:
Aggressive
Heavy-Duty (only 4-ply tread, 2-ply sidewall, & the sidewalls very exposed- ‘255/85 size')
or Quietest

And while they are not quiet, they are quieter and more civilized than the Maxxis Bighorns, BFG MT KM, and KM2 in 255/85, and MT/Rs in 285/75.

I guess what is most telling is that while the Cooper S/Ts have never been my favorite tire, they have stayed in my garage for a couple years while other treads have come and gone for a variety or reasons. They have staying power.

Thanks for the answer! While I've only had three different treads on the Tundra, I have experience with many types/brands/treads on various vehicles. My thoughts on the ST's are simple...it does not excel at any one thing in particular, but it does everything well. Since the truck sees everything from sand, snow, mud, road, rain, gravel, etc; it only makes sense to have a tire that covers the gamut. I think someone has used the phrase (in another context) "like a good multi-tool..." that's the Coops....the multi-tool of tires. That's why they have staying power....and why I bought the 2nd set....

jim65wagon

but they still don't hook up well on wet pavement.

How much tire pressure are you running on pavement. Have you tried different tire pressures? I find with the Tundra 38 psi on the rears is the tipping point, over that with no load and I have to be very gentle in the rain. 32 is normal for me now (rears) good traction in the rain, still handles well, enough pressure to haul moderate loads. The Taco, being even lighter may need something like 28 psi.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Don't know if it will fix tacollie's issues but I agree with the psi comments/questions. On my heavy 4Runner I'm currently running 31-psi. 35 is about the max I put in any tire in this car.

I've never had problems on wet pavement, but we don't have much rain where I live. And, I still have 14/32" of tread remaining.

tacollie

Glamper
I will try running a little less psi and let you know what havens.

On a seperate note I took them in for the 1st tire rotation(5k mile) and the lugs were coming off the casing on 2 tires. I am friends with the guy who owns the shop and he said he hadn't seen that before on that tire. I got 4 new tires under warrenty.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Wow, that is not good!

snip....
On a seperate note I took them in for the 1st tire rotation(5k mile) and the lugs were coming off the casing on 2 tires. I am friends with the guy who owns the shop and he said he hadn't seen that before on that tire. I got 4 new tires under warrenty.

Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
They said is was a wear issue and not a safety issue. It was a nice surprise when I picked it up from the alignment.

tacollie

Glamper
My air gauge was off by about ten psi so not that my Coopers have 35 psi and not 45 psi I am in love with them. I also think the siping is key.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
35 psi

Depending on what vehicle (how heavy) you are using the S/Ts on I would think that 35 PSI would be plenty.

A 255/85R16 is rated to handle 1,920-lb. each at 35 PSI.

Last edited:

CB3

I used to have Cooper ST in 285/75R16 and they were excellent for everything, except winter conditions.

They were the snot slickest tires on snow and ice that I've ever owned.

They were TERRIBLE on snow or ice, until I added extra sipes to the center treads. After that, they were pretty good.

I've had best luck on snow and ice with BFG AT and Trxus MT, but in the case of the BFG AT, that might be partly because they were narrower (33 X 10.5 R15).

I think that Cooper ST 255/85R16D with extra sipes added to center treads would be dandy for all purpose use on and off road, and be dandy on winter roads. I can't say for sure, since I never owned that size ST, but I think it's likely it'd be excellent (with extra sipes added to center treads for ice and snow).

Last edited:

bigandtall

Can anyone explain why the Cooper S/T in this 255/85R16 has the same treadwidth of 7.2 inches as the same Cooper S/T in the 235/75R16 as listed on the Cooper website?

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Do you mean the 235/75R15.

That's not surprising to me. As I have noted many times, the Cooper S/T in 255/85R16 has a very narrow tread width, almost as narrow as many 235/85R16 tires. Apparently the 255/85 S/T has exactly the same tread width as Cooper's own 235/75R15. To their credit, Cooper is one of the few companies that lists tread width specifications for most of their tires.

bigandtall

Yes. 235/75R15. I knew my wife was right about needing glasses, but I continue to resist!

I have seen one FJ Cruiser like mine with these Cooper S/T 255/85R16 and I like all but the extremely narrow tread width. It's either this tire, or the Toyo M/T in the same 255/85R16. Just having a real hard time deciding and can't find an actual tread width measurement for the Toyos.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Look at the pics in the 255/85 Toyo MT thread, lots of side-by-side pics there. From memory I'm going to guess the Toyo tread width is about 7.75", about the same as most 255/85, wider than the Cooper S/T & BFG KM2.

The Cooper S/T is about 11-lb lighter than the 255/85 Toyo MT, much more flexible, though not as rugged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3