costco coleman solar setup

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
Well, it depends. Are you looking to just run a cooler/fridge for the weekend off of a separate power source? If yes, you may want to look at a dual battery system (less expensive that a nice solar system).

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I'm looking for a setup that I can use on my Jeep or the trailer while I run a cooler and not have to start the Jeep. I also run a few accessories on the Jeep.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
You'd be surprised how long a deep cycle battery will last on a full charge in a trailer. Just wire it through the hitch to accept a charge while pulling the trailer. If you need more power to get through a weekend you can weight the costs of another battery vs. solar. How much solar depends on if you want to never draw down the battery bank or just "stem the bleeding" and make it last a few days longer.

Anyone disagree?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Hmmm, I have a 7 way on the Jeep, but I wonder what gauge wiring I need to charge a trailer battery, off to google I go....

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
How much solar depends on if you want to never draw down the battery bank or just "stem the bleeding" and make it last a few days longer.

Anyone disagree?

Nope. That's about right.

Though technically, the battery will draw down anyway - at night.

So generally, it's a tossup between having enough solar to run the loads AND have enough extra to recharge last night's drainage (DRAAAAANNNAAAAGGGE! I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE! I DRINK IT UP! (did I just say that out loud?)) with 4 hours of sun...

Or just some to help stem the bleeding. (Good analogy.)

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
So how do I wire the solar to keep the Jeep battery and trailer battery charged together?

Sorry, I must have missed something; I thought you were trying to charge the trailer battery off the 7-pin - but I guess you are wanting to go the other way and charge the truck battery off the solar?

So lemme get this straight...

You want to put a solar panel on the trailer?
You want to charge a battery on the trailer AND the engine battery from the solar?
You want to power the trailer stuff AND some stuff in the truck?

Assuming all that is true...

Well, the simplest way would be:

solar panel (PV) -> charge controller -> trailer battery -> 7-pin -> truck battery

But that just ties the truck and trailer batteries into a single battery bank anytime the trailer is plugged in.

It would work, but I'm not a fan of it because there is no isolation and if you run it down too far, your truck won't start.

Personally, I'd stick a second battery in the truck, and run the accessories off that and put an isolator between the starting battery and the aux battery.

Then the truck aux battery and the trailer battery become a single aux battery bank, and if you run it dead it won't affect the starting battery, but whenever the engine is running you are charging all three.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven