Cottonwood Canyon......all the way to Lockhart Basin in October

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Brett M said:
Best bet would be if you could make it to Blanding, UT either Wednesday night or Thrusday morning. Its not a huge place so it wouldn't be too hard to meet up. Lets Kurt or I know, that'd be cool to meet up!

Blanding on Wednesday evening (or our camp @ Comb Wash). Thursday morning at the trailhead (or again at Comb Wash).

alia176, if your seriously entertaining joining us... lmk and I can put together a bit of info for you including GPS coords. We have a mailing list where we have been compiling route info, food, etc... I can bring you up to speed.

alia176

Explorer
cruiseroutfit said:
Blanding on Wednesday evening (or our camp @ Comb Wash). Thursday morning at the trailhead (or again at Comb Wash).

alia176, if your seriously entertaining joining us... lmk and I can put together a bit of info for you including GPS coords. We have a mailing list where we have been compiling route info, food, etc... I can bring you up to speed.

Working the angle at work so hopefully I'll be able to go. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks.

alia176

Explorer
Looks like I'll fit right in with the delinquents!

Kurt,

As I'm zeroing in on my departure date from home, it looks more and more like I'll be departing ABQ on Thurs morning. I'll be flying into ABQ on Wed night from Chicago with another buddy. Hopefully, we'll have time to pack everything up and depart Tijeras, NM in the morning. Based on your GPS coordinates, we'll catch up to the group sometime Thurs pm. Blanding is about six hours from my place but I doubt you'll be there Thurs pm.

Since we'll be going through Canyonlands, I'm assuming no four legged campers?

just giving everyone a heads up.

AA

Brett M

Adventurer
alia176 said:
Looks like I'll fit right in with the delinquents!

Kurt,

As I'm zeroing in on my departure date from home, it looks more and more like I'll be departing ABQ on Thurs morning. I'll be flying into ABQ on Wed night from Chicago with another buddy. Hopefully, we'll have time to pack everything up and depart Tijeras, NM in the morning. Based on your GPS coordinates, we'll catch up to the group sometime Thurs pm. Blanding is about six hours from my place but I doubt you'll be there Thurs pm.

Since we'll be going through Canyonlands, I'm assuming no four legged campers?

just giving everyone a heads up.

AA

Glad you're going to make it with us. Should be a good trip! Sadly, no pets are allowed in the park anymore. Seems dumb to me since there are animals wandering all over.....but, goverment never makes sense.

alia176

Explorer
That's alright, rules are rules. It's probably due to some dumba$$ who ruined it for the rest of the humans anyway.

What type of temp swings are we looking at for this time of the year?

Thanks.

Brett M

Adventurer
alia176 said:
That's alright, rules are rules. It's probably due to some dumba$$ who ruined it for the rest of the humans anyway.

What type of temp swings are we looking at for this time of the year?

Thanks.

Just checked and it looks like for the area will be in, average temps for the day will be 65 and nights in the 40's. Dress warm! Hopefully we don't have another monsoon season like last year too.

Brett M

Adventurer
Just about a week left.......

Things left to do:

Get my camp stuff out of the garage and clean it up.
Open up my pop up trailer and get anything that I might need out of it
Check all the fluids in the Jeep.
Find a better CB antenna
Change the REAR MAIN SEAL for the FOURTH time. :)

Who wants to do that last part for me? :shakin:

alia176

Explorer
Well, the trip is becoming more of a reality at my end :wings: . My buddy from Chicago won't be able to join us (unless he wants to sleep out in the driveway!) So it looks like just me from ABQ area.

I'll do my best to take Wed off but that's a low probability as far as I can see. I need to know where to meet up with you folks on thurs eve or is that even a reality? Will you folks be too far out in the boonies for me to find you? I'm running Topo 5.0 so I can punch in waypoints if you got some. If someone already has a route that I can import into 5.0 that'd be great!!

Also, is there a 2M repeater that we can use? This will make it easier for me to track you fellas down. Preferred simplex freq? Sorry, if I'm making you guys repeat things.

Thanks.

Brett M

Adventurer
alia176 said:
Well, the trip is becoming more of a reality at my end :wings: . My buddy from Chicago won't be able to join us (unless he wants to sleep out in the driveway!) So it looks like just me from ABQ area.

I'll do my best to take Wed off but that's a low probability as far as I can see. I need to know where to meet up with you folks on thurs eve or is that even a reality? Will you folks be too far out in the boonies for me to find you? I'm running Topo 5.0 so I can punch in waypoints if you got some. If someone already has a route that I can import into 5.0 that'd be great!!

Also, is there a 2M repeater that we can use? This will make it easier for me to track you fellas down. Preferred simplex freq? Sorry, if I'm making you guys repeat things.

Thanks.

Glad you'll be able to make it out. I don't see any reason why we won't be able to find you Thursday. I'll let Kurt answer on the waypoints as he was adding everything into his maps. What time are you thinking that you're going to be into the Blanding area?

cruiseroutfit

alia176 said:

Thanks.

I am still plotting everything together, but as of current our Thursday night camp will be just south of Canyonlands proper. I'll update you as I get things planned out. I still need to OK the plans with everyone else... I'll keep you in the loop.

Re: 2M, I don't know of any open repeaters in the area, though I assume we could find one. I'll chat with the local hammers and ask, if not we can pick a good simplex freq. for the weekend. It will likely only be the two of us running HAM, the others will all be utilizing CB's.

Lets keep in touch!

alia176

Explorer
Found this from Beowulf:

*** all these are Minus offset & 88.5 PLL tone ***
146.76 is the Moab valley. I think this is on the Radio Shack building so it only covers the valley.

146.61 is on a mountain somewhere in the area. He thinks it will reach most of the E-Hill area but he did not think it would reach to Moab valley and, at this time, he does not have it linked to the .76 repeater.

147.14 is also on a mountain and covers more of the area toward the West.

FYI.

cruiseroutfit

alia176 said:
Found this from Beowulf:

*** all these are Minus offset & 88.5 PLL tone ***
146.76 is the Moab valley. I think this is on the Radio Shack building so it only covers the valley.

146.61 is on a mountain somewhere in the area. He thinks it will reach most of the E-Hill area but he did not think it would reach to Moab valley and, at this time, he does not have it linked to the .76 repeater.

147.14 is also on a mountain and covers more of the area toward the West.

FYI.

Good info, I'll program all of those into the radio... lets set a simplix frequency just in case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater