Could a Tacoma be right for me for an Expo Rig?

Topgun514

Adventurer
Thanks guys, I will keep a look out for them but may be leaning Land Cruiser still for the space it has. I am 6 feet tall and enjoyed the spaciousness of the LC, as well as having it for an expo rig. Not ruling anything out yet, just keeping an option open and will test drive one soon to feel it out.

Whichever I get, Taco, LC, 4Runner. It will be used heavily in the snow, and 10% of its life on rugged, but easy terrain of Utah. Camping platforms is something I would like to consider which makes me question the 4Runner a tad with capability of an RTT plus added weight. But I also know that a Taco is cramped a bit in the interior sometimes.

I am glad I am asking and getting Yota guys help so early. You guys rock!

phsycle

Adventurer
I've had all three. For comfort, LC can't be beat. Practicality/utilitarian uses goes to the Tacoma. I current have an LC, but I'm looking to get a Tacoma as well. If I had to only have one, I'd go with a 4-door Taco. But those are pretty hard to find for $8k. Ones I'm looking at are $12k+.

mikesurfs

I'm currently driving a 2007 Unlimited Rubicon and I like it. Before that I had a 2000 Land Cruiser 100 series and LOVED IT! I'm going back to a Land Cruiser as soon as it's feasable since I want an '08 and used ones are still out of my price range. My Land Cruiser would go anywhere my Rubicon goes. Additionally, the LC has rear air, is fully enclosed, and has a cabin air filter. You will not be dissapointed with an LC and it's nice for keeping all your gear clean and secure. I would never hesitate to recommend a LC for expo travel. I live in Vegas and we used to go everywhere, at any time of the year, without worry of heat, cold, wet, dry, etc. My Rubicon however only has dash air and the black fiberglass top SUCKS in the heat. Pickups are popular, but it gets old when you have to routinely drag dirty stuff out of the bed all the time. Then again, each vehicle has it's merits and downfalls but the LC has very few downfalls. I don't think the 80 series LC has rear air but that may also be worth a look if you're on a budget. The 80 is bigger than a 4runner, has straight axles, a straight six, and sometimes comes with factory lockers. Plus, 80's are bombproof. Visit IH8MUD for more toyota related info if that's the route you're going.

Good luck, Mike.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77