Couldn't afford a Taco, so I got a Dako: 1st Gen Dakota Budget Build

ADDvanced

Goal: To build an ultra mild, cheap camping rig out for use in a 3500 mile roadtrip scheduled for early next month (Sept 2018)

Truck: 1994 Dakota SLT Club Cab, V6, RWD, Open Diff (!), auto

Background: So this is my first truck, but not my first build. Here are a few links to some of my current/past projects:

Current Garage Build Outs on Garage Journal
3800 Sq Ft Warehouse Apartment Build Out
"]
"]
"]

Story: Typically I tow everything with my 95 S6 Avant; My sleds, my boat, and my utility trailer. I've never owned a truck and honestly the brodozer culture here in the midwest made me hate most trucks. However, my S6 blew a headgasket and I'm rebuilding it with a bigger turbo, so I needed a tow rig that could also haul building materials. I searched for months. I tried fullsize trucks (F150s, 1500s, Rams) and found them way, way too big, way more truck than I need or ever want, and I tried compact trucks like Rangers/S10s and found them cramped/tiny. I really, really wanted a Tacoma, but living in the salt belt has seemed to make this dream impossible, for now. I looked at so many, but all of them were rotten garbage or way out of my price range.

Enter the Dak.

kaDcgTy.jpg

I picked up this truck back in March of 2017 for $1800. It was a one owner truck, garaged it's entire life, owned by a Pastor near Milwaukee, WI. He wound up being put in an old folks home, so his family donated the truck to charity where it was sold at auction, purchased by a dealership, who then sold it to me. The paint is in amazing shape, and so was the interior. I think the truck was sitting a while, so I immediately changed the fluids, filters, shocks, etc. The A/C wasn't working, so I recharged it with a kit from wally world for $22 that included some sort of sealant, and it's still working great 1.5 years later.

Last year, I had a trip planned out to CO and I wanted to take this thing up into the mountains on some mild roads, so I had built a plywood raised floor/2x4 cross beams, but unfortunately that trip never happened: My GF was diagnosed with Stage 3 breast cancer and we had to cancel our trip, she had to start chemo immediately, surgery, radiation, all that fun ****************. The past year has been pretty rough, but she's fixed/repaired/recovering and we are continuing with the plan a year later.

So I liked the truck, but was really hoping to find a clean V8/4x4 version. Again. Rust belt. Most of these trucks are beyond trashed. I gave up late last fall/early winter, since I knew I would be towing my sleds a few times, and wound up getting some Kuhmo AT51 all terrains.

dcrE5PR.jpg

Stoked about these! They're also 'snow rated', and I've had bad experience with regular all terrains in the white stuff, but these things are awesome. BARELY louder than stock, great grip in any condition so far, boat launches, 1ft of snow, etc. With some sandbags in the back and these tires I honestly didn't feel like I needed 4wd.
8YyyaVv.jpg

52Oxw0m.jpg

Recently, I had a gas tank strap fail, and my gas gauge never worked anyway, so I decided to pull the bed, replace the straps, and replace the pump/sender. This rapidly spiraled out of control. I built 2x4 scaffolding, and raised the bed a corner a time, raising some cross beams. Hood AF but hey if it works it's not stupid, right?
JuYFqmC.jpg

I then aired out the rear tires and drove the truck out from under the bed:
6ddxXZK.jpg
And since I had the bed off, I might as well wire wheel all the scale/corrosion off the frame, right?
cCfp53M.jpg

And then paint it all with rust reformer...
8FnndoX.jpg

And then paint 2 coats of thinned out, semi gloss black rustoleum:
zOa59T9.jpg

And put it back together:
rvyNJJ8.jpg

Anyway, that's the truck so far. In terms of plans, I'd really like to locate an LSD that would bolt in, but it seems like most places want $600 to install it. I hate the idea of spending $4-500 on an LSD or auto locker, then another $600 to install it, but I might just bite the bullet. I figure a good LSD/locker and maybe a recovery winch should get me most places, I'm not going to go anywhere too wild.

So far, here are the rough plans, gentlemen:
- Raised Bed + Storage (done)
- Cut to fit yoga mat material on raised bed
- Dog friendly screen material in the rear sliding windows, WITH regular bug screen
- Transmission cooler
- Relay for headlights (melted a headlight switch already, sucked to replace it)
- 12v Battery in the bed with solar array on the top of the cap, charge phones/run fan/mini fridge
- Light Bar
- Recover points in the front/rear bumper (D rings, I think they are called?) with a recovery ratchet. I thought about getting a front winch, but nobody makes a mount for this thing and I'm not sure I'll have time to fab something.

Thanks for looking, and stay tuned for more updates over the next few weeks.

Last edited:

ADDvanced

Quick update: Scored a new topper last night, the truck is now full grandpa but the added height should be awesome for camping in it:

ZHTg164.jpg

Best part is that it was from another 94 Dak in the exact same color, and it was freakin' $30. It does need some weatherstripping and has a few things to fix on it, but still: THIRTY DOLLARS.

GoinBoardin

Observer
Raised height would be the only way I'd ever setup a topper for camping again. That should be a sweet setup, and $30 is amazing.

KurtzJ

Love the build! I'm a big fan of the Gen 1 and 2. I'm interested to see where you go with this.

Darkrider

Adventurer
Nice little 1st gen. I have considered Dak builds in the past but ended up going the full size route with my K5 instead, One option for a winch would be to fab up or find a front receiver hitch for the truck. Easiest way about it would be taking a universal hitch kit and making some brackets that mount it to the chassis.

ne_dan

That’s a nice looking Dakota, my first truck was a 1994 Dakota I got from my dad in 2000. I couldn’t kill that thing my parents got rid of it durning my first deployment back in 2003 when the brakes failed on them. Wish I still had it. Mine was white and had the peeling paint problem.

Binksman

Observer
Amazed you found a Dak that's not Swiss cheese from the rust :) I had a 93 that looked very similar and is the primary reason I still mostly drive Dodge trucks to this day. I would however bump the trans cooler up your list. I've had 3 v6 or V8 powered Jeep or Dodge vehicles (they use the same or similar transmissions) and they just need more transmission cooling that what they came with from the factory.

ADDvanced

Oh it definitely still has some rust. The front fenders are particularly bad and basically gone completely near the front bumper and behind the front wheel. The rest of the truck is pretty solid, so I plan on driving it until it blows up or something. Maybe if I finish some other projects I'll snag a couple fenders for it.

So over the weekend, I spent some time on the new camper shell; it had been sitting outside in a field so it was covered in manure and spider nests. I had a friend help me lift it off, we hosed it down, scrubbed with brushes and pads until it sparkled, threw down some new camper shell foam tape on the bottom edge, and reinstalled it. The front section had a bend, so I had to use a few ratchet straps through the front windows to pull it forward, against the back of the cab to get it to fit.

Also, not seen in photos; it has a big rubber gasket that is supposed to seal on the back window of the cab; there is NOT another pane of glass in the front of the shell. I've never seen this before, but admittedly I am a truck newb. It seems to seal okay, but the bottom corner radius is too large and doesn't match up with the back window very well. How do other people deal with this mismatch?

Anyway, here is another photo of the topper actually scrubbed up, installed properly, and better lighting:
AqNt3QU.jpg

ADDvanced

Alright, have to start ordering parts to finish this thing before the trip.

POWER: I was thinking about pulling a battery out of one of my other vehicles for this trip, slapping together a wooden box to go under the bed area. Cost: Free! However, then I started thinking about how to charge this battery.

Options are get a battery isolator and connect it to the other battery/alternator, which honestly, might work okay. Then I started thinking about Solar. It seems like all I'd need would be a 100W panel and a controller, but then the question is portable vs drilling holes into my cap and mounting it permanently. The issue isn't cost, so much as it is I don't know when else I will use this. It would be stupid to spend hundreds of dollars for this trip, then let it sit on the truck doing nothing for the rest of the year. This leans me towards portable, but then I can't use the portable while I'm driving.

Do they make a portable one with giant suction cups? Just thinking out loud.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Doesn't need to be fancy, just a panel that folds that you lean against your bumper and a basic controller. I probably wouldn't even bother mounting it anywhere at this point. You need to scratch your chin on permanent mounts of panels. Out of the way, secure but still pointing towards the sun. No matter where you bolt them it's always aimed wrong.

Do something like this at camp each day.

Biard-100W-Portable-Solar-Panel_mid.jpg

I wouldn't go wild with a dual battery and isolator until/unless it's something you want to do anyway. I run dual batteries but between the mount, cables, solenoid (I run a Blue Sea ML-ACR), it wasn't cheap or fast.

ADDvanced

It seems like an isolator would be cheaper than solar, and a bit more potent. With an isolator I'd just be out the cost of the isolator, fuses, and wire if I don't use it again. With the solar, it would the cost of the cells and the controller.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater