Couple of Months Traveling Through Baja

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Jim, I love that boat, but dang, at 18', that sucker is gonna take up some serious space on the roof rack!

I can load and unload any of our boats by myself and both Cindy and I can drag them around by ourselves which is something I sort of demand out of any boat we own just incase one of us was to be injured while paddling and the other would have to load or get the boats out of the water without the other present or with injury.

I'd be afraid that 18' boat might be too big to do that solo.

I vote Hobie Revolution with the Mirage drive unit.

I really, really like this boat and would highly recommend it if you can afford it. We've looked at them, but from what I found locally in our area, we'd be dropping close to $2000 to get one outfitted with the pedal/propellers. Dropping close to $4000 for two kayaks, I'd just go and buy a used Aluminum John Boat with a small outboard....LOL

I agree that for shooting photography out of a kayak, this would be the best set up and If I could afford it, we'd both have these boats or the Native equivilents

I think for traveling Baja, carrying two kayaks on the roof is almost mandatory. But before you go out and grab any kayak to bring with you, do your research and make sure you know what you're bringing.

We paddled one day while on the Playa Santispac with some fellow campers from Canada who had two Old Town Otters. These are only 9' boats that arent all that fast and we were killing them because they were trying to keep up with us in our longer 14' boats that are much easier and faster to paddle

Cindy and I owned 2 of the little Otter's at one time when we lived up in Michigan and they were our river boats. The boats arent fast by any means, but they were cheap (bought them used for $100 each) and they were great for fast flowing rivers or just fooling around in a small lake. Plus, they were small enough that we could throw them on the top of the Jeep and Cindy could load and unload them by herself.

She used to go out paddling solo on our local river just for exercise with her little otter.

But to bring a boat like that out on open water is asking for a serious workout and without rudders or a drop skag, once the wind picks up, you're going to wear yourself out quick just trying to stay on track. They're NOT baja boats by any means

1speed

Explorer
Jim, I love that boat, but dang, at 18', that sucker is gonna take up some serious space on the roof rack!

I can load and unload any of our boats by myself and both Cindy and I can drag them around by ourselves which is something I sort of demand out of any boat we own just incase one of us was to be injured while paddling and the other would have to load or get the boats out of the water without the other present or with injury.

I'd be afraid that 18' boat might be too big to do that solo.

Actually at 48 lbs it's not too bad. I use the Yakima Hully Rollers and Mako Saddles and doing it solo is fairly easy.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Friday April 4th

One thing I've never understood is laying out in the sun? I've never been one to just sit and fry myself while sitting still for any length of time. So when Cindy woke up and said "I just want to lay on the beach and listen to the waves all day." I thought "Oh man, this is going to make for a long, boring day!"

I put our biggest lens on the camera, at the time, a Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS with a 2x extender and sat beside her watching the surfers play in the waves. Only problem was, the surf wasn't nearly as good as it was yesterday, so none of the good surfers who were so fun to watch were in the water today.

Cerritos%204.JPG

I basically had to sit and watch a bunch of tourists take their 20 minute lesson on surfing, before they went and fell with each passing wave. It was fun to watch, but after awhile, I just wanted to go give them a hand. You start to feel bad for them.

While scanning the beach, I found a few women laying out topless, so it wasn't all that bad of a day. I did get to play Mr. Peeping Tom, that was till Cindy rolled over and said "What the hell are you looking at?" I just said "Oh, there is a cool dog playing in the water down there."....LOL

When it started to smell like the bacon was done, we both decided to get out of the sun and go find a table with some shade. One of the beach vendors selling hand woven blankets asked if we were interested, and he could probably see SUCKER written on my forehead.

Next thing you know, I've bought us a nice, warm, authentic Mexican blanket. Of course Cindy was saying "Why do you waste our money on stuff like that?" I just said "I feel bad, that guy is carrying 20 blankets up and down the beach trying to make a living, and I happened to like that blanket."

Of course, as soon as the sun started setting, Cindy has the blanket draped around her saying "I'm glad I have this blanket to keep me warm!" I should also mention that after I bought it, she says to me "You bought blue, we have nothing blue in the camper, I'm going to go find the guy and exchange it for a color that better matches our interior colors." So this made her feel like she made the final decision on the purchase. What ever floats her boat.

Cerritos%206.JPG

After dinner, Cindy says "I'm going to lay down and read till you come to bed and we can watch a movie." It wasn't but 5 minutes later and I can hear her and Luca having a snoring war in the bedroom. What the heck? It's only 8pm!

She wakes up at midnight and yells from the bedroom, "Are you going to stay up all night long!?!" I just laughed thinking, in our past life, we didn't even get busy at the bar till 11 or 12 at night and those last few hours building up to Last Call were when you got your second wind and really worked your butt off.

Here she is yelling at me because I'm staying up SO LATE and it's only midnight! How funny it is to see what two years away from the bar will do to our lives.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Saturday April 5th

This beach is too hard to leave. We've been camped only a few miles from Todos Santos, yet haven't been able to leave our beach side campsite to go explore it.

Today was no different, as proof by Cindy waking up bright and early to lie on the beach some more. Between the sun bathing, and multiple walks with the dogs, we spent almost the entire day watching the waves crash along the shore.

419171957_NDZag-L-1.jpg

I had mentioned to Cindy yesterday that none of my pictures were turning out due to the haze from the water. But we realized today that it's not haze at all. What happens is the sun heats up the sand, and when the cold Pacific water hits the hot sand, it steams up. The steam is then blown across the sand and looks like a haze or fog.

It's cool to watch, but makes almost any picture I take look like I have gauze over the lens.

Overlooking the beach, the American who bought all this property to build the resort is in the process of having his own house built. From the looks of it, it'll probably be over 20,000 square feet of house! I'm not sure why anyone would need a house that big, but who knows, maybe he has a big family? I just know that we've lived in 200 square feet of space for the last 15 months, and seem to be quite happy.

Los%20Cerritos%203.JPG

Maybe he'll let us move into a walk in closet or something small like that when he's finished.

Today, all the workers who are building the cinderblock foundation of the huge structure, took their lunch break and played a game of soccer, or football as they call it down here. It was funny to sit and watch these guys play soccer along the beach. You would think they were playing for a trophy, as many times it became a full contact game.

After another long walk on the beach with the dogs, we heard some nice jazz music coming from the tiki bar. We put the dogs back in the camper, and headed over to see where the great music was coming from.

We found a nice comfortable chair, and spent the afternoon being entertained by a local musician who was amazing on the violin. Daniel Siqueiros plays this electric violin like Jeff Beck plays the guitar. It was amazing how fast this mans fingers could move and the sounds he could get out of this little violin.

We sat watching and listening all afternoon and just loved every second of it. This little tiki bar on Los Cerritos Beach just never seems to amaze me.

Sunday April 6th

Today I was determined to get some good pictures of the surfers. I've figured out that if you walk along the rocks that line one edge of the shore, you'll be in front of the sand that has all the steam coming off of it and wont have that haze over the pictures.

Los%20Cerritos%205.JPG

Cindy said she was content reading her book and spending one more day trying to exfoliate her feet in the sand, so I grabbed the 30D and went for a hike along the rocks.

Once you get out a few hundred yards, you're actually right in line with the surfers and the waves they're catching. It's almost like being in the water with them, and was a great place to just sit and watch the waves roll in.

Another interesting tid-bit I found out was, if you sit still on the rocks long enough, the local crab population will start to crawl on you to see if you're edible. I know if Cindy would have been with me, she would be cracking up.

419185359_F3kPg-L-1.jpg

I'd be sitting down on the rocks, looking through my lens when I'd feel something start to crawl on my foot. I'd look down to see a little black crab trying to taste me with his claws.

This would usually result in me screaming like a little girl and kicking the thing back into the water. As soon as my foot would move to kick it away, I'd see the whole layer of rock move around me with other crabs scurrying back for cover.

Once I was done taking pictures, I came in and said "I thought we were leaving today?" Cindy said "I'm ready, are you?" So we got in the truck, and pulled around the parking area to get ready to leave, when I came up with a great idea, "What if we just move closer to the beach?"

Cindy replied very enthusiastically, "Hey, that sounds great to me!" So we just moved about 100 feet today, and took the dogs for another long walk down the beach.

I was telling Cindy how cool it looked from out on the rocks, so we ventured over there so she could see the wild lava rock formations. I asked her to sit right near the waters edge where every now and then a big wave would crash, sending water about 10 feet in the air.

Los%20Cerritos%209.JPG

She hadn't seen this happen, so had no idea what was in store for her. She kept saying "What is taking so long?" as I pretended I was adjusting the camera settings. When I saw a nice roller starting to form behind her, I said "OK, smile pretty for the camera!"

Just then, a monstrous wave came crashing in underneath her and erupted all around her. I'm amazed that she stayed dry, as the wave was a little bigger than I thought it was. But the look on her face was so worth the admission cost. She was scurrying away from the edge faster then those crabs were earlier in the day.

Our evening ended with the sun setting North of us, as we're below the Tropic of Cancer. I mentioned to Cindy, "This is the first time in my life I've had to look North to watch the sun set." We put my Mexican blanket to good use, the one I'm still getting flak for buying, and sat on the beach till it was too cold to watch the surfers trying to wait for that perfect wave.

Los%20Cerritos%204.JPG

I would like to say a huge Happy Birthday to my dad. I felt horrible all day today because I couldn't be with him, or even call him today. It's my father who instilled such a strong work ethic in me and taught me to be such a strong person. He is one of the main reasons I am where I am today.

Dad%20&%20Sindy.jpg

I've always held him up on a pedestal because of his hard work and strong family values. Raised a dirt poor Pollack in Detroit, he was the first in his family to graduate high school, then went on to get his Masters Degree and work his way up through the ranks in Ford Motor Company. He started out working in the garage at World Headquarters and retired after 30 something years as an Executive with a nice pension plan.

He always taught us kids that we'd get no where without hard work, determination and always being true to yourself. There was never a dream of mine I told him that he wouldn't say "Work hard enough, and you can do that some day." He never told me my dreams were foolish, just that I needed to be determined and I could accomplish anything.

When we told him that Cindy and I wanted to sell everything and do what we're doing now, he said to both Cindy and I, "I love you kids and support you in everything you do, if this is what you want to do, then I'm very happy for you." [/COLOR]He did say "It's not something that I would ever do, but I know traveling is something you enjoy, so you should go for it." Knowing we had his blessing made me feel more comfortable and knowing that our parents were happy with our decision is something you always strive for.

I only wish I could be with him more to spend quality time together. Something you can never have enough of when it comes to your parents.

419151060_B7B5M-L-1.jpg

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Monday April 7th

We knew today was our day to head out from our little beach hide-away. We had been putting off the inevitable, but knew it would come sooner or later.

419164280_a6jxF-L-1.jpg

After one last long walk along the beach with the dogs, we got on the road and drove the few hours North to La Paz. There is nothing really fun to talk about between these two towns, but a whole lot of cactus, which were just starting to bloom. We did drive through Todos Santos, but did just that, and drove through it.

The town had a few tour busses parked at the square, and the streets were lined with tourists. The shops were all boutiques and not really anything that said "Wait, you should check us out!" So we just rolled on through and said, "Sorry, not our style." I would have liked to check out the Hotel California, but with 3 tour busses parked outside, something tells me it wouldn't show us too much charm with having to wait in line to see it.

I also think both of us were in some sort of funk today, as neither of us really wanted to leave Los Cerritos, but knew we had to. Once you start heading North, it's means you're on your way home, or in our case, back to the States.

Los%20Cerritos%2011.JPG

We both knew that our next few days of driving would involve passing through areas we have already visited.

What our goal is, is to try and make it to Bahía Asunción as quickly as possible, then once we're there, we can spend a few days exploring the area before we have to head back to the United States to be in Northern Arizona by the first week of May where we're going to be assisting in a Photo Seminar in Monument Valley.

We've also come to the conclusion that we're starting to get strapped for time if we want to make it that far North in this short of a period. We normally like to travel at about the same rate as a turtle on valium, but know we need to pick up the pace.

Bahía Asunción is one of those areas we wanted to stop at on the way down, but the road is under construction and wasn't recommended for Chuck's bigger Class-A motorhome. We've talked back and forth through emails from an American woman, Shari, who came down here years ago, liked the area so much she decided to move down and ended up marring a local Mexican man.

In one of the emails, Shari described the place to us saying they think we'll like it very much as it's one of the last in the Baja that is still untouched by the tourism bug. She said it's as close as you can come to seeing what Baja was like 20 years ago.

Shrine%202.JPG

When we pulled into La Paz, we found Casa Blanca RV Park, where we had stayed with Noel and Jackie a few weeks back, and checked in for the night. We knew this would be our last time we would have full hook-ups for awhile, so I topped everything off and emptied the black and gray tanks, making sure to flush them real good.

We basically spent the night cleaning up the camper and sort of getting everything situated while we had a nice secure area to pull out everything and put it back away in the proper places.

Cindy caught us up on laundry, and we were in bed early watching a few movies. Not that we went to bed early, because we ended up watching 3 movies and finally calling it a night well after 4am.

Make sure to check out our Los Cerritos Gallery

Los Cerritos to La Paz
65.4 Miles took us 2.6 hours drive time. We maintained a lightening fast 25mph average and got a whopping 9.9 mpg for our average fuel mileage. Saw a few dead cows and another herd walking right down an entrance ramp leaving La Paz which is no wonder why we see so many dead ones on the side of the road. We also saw a herd of goats crossing the road but were lucky enough to not hit any ourselves.

We passed through one military checkpoint where the guard asked me to open the door of the camper, but only looked inside and said I was good to go.

423305676_jPPBs-L-1.jpg

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Tuesday April 8th

Driving from La Paz North, you travel through many different types of terrain. At some sections you can see the beautiful Sea of Cortez, from high up on a mountain side. Other sections you're in the middle of a barren desert that reminded me of the images the Mars Rover sent back to Earth.

423373629_4Vczg-L-1.jpg

Shrine.JPG

One thing that has amazed me on the Mexican roads are the amount of shrines the locals build for those who have been killed in automobile accidents.

These shrines dot the road sides from time to time, some being only a simple cross, while others have erected an elaborate shrine that is just amazing.

423382390_ggj9R-L-1.jpg

Just North of La Paz, there are two shrines that we had to stop at to get some pictures. These were the largest two we had seen in the Baja. What is so amazing to me is you have to remember that many of the local Mexicans live in run-down, shacks built out of any scrap material they can find. Many of these homes have no electricity, water or those basic essentials we take for granted back in the United States.

423365018_nMFqW-L-1.jpg

Yet, out in the middle of the desert, and I mean 100 miles from anywhere, you'll find one of these elaborate shrines magnificently built out of stucco. Some have multiple rooms and some even had electricity run to them so at night they could stay lit up. It just goes to show the respect the Mexican Culture holds for their loved ones after they pass on to the afterlife.

Shrine%201.JPG

Between stopping at a few of these beautiful shrines along the road, we also found a unique roadside shop that was loaded with various indigenous animal skulls. I was going crazy here. I have a wild collection of Skulls from various travels of ours that I now have in storage. When we lived in our stick built home, we kept many of them displayed in our house in my grandmothers china cabinet that Cindy also kept her collection of antique perfume bottles in. I know, quite the contrast, but it makes for fantastic conversations when people look into the antique china cabinet.

So when Cindy saw me walking up to the truck with a large Mountain Goat Horn, she just rolled her eyes saying "Where do you think you're going to put that?" I just smiled and said "I'm going to mount it right on the hood." To which I got one of those looks of disgust I'm so used to by this point in our marriage.

After too many hours of driving, we pulled into Puerto Escondido for the night. This is the area we had talked about when we were in Loreto with Chuck and Sandy. On one of our days of exploration, we had checked this area out, but had decided not to move down here. This is also where we had found the Yacht Club that was abandoned, yet still had a book exchange in the old hurricane ravaged building.

This worked out perfect, since we had 4 books that we were finished reading, and we knew this exchange had a few books we were interested in.

It is also free to park along the waters edge and camp for the night. Cindy grilled up some amazing hamburgers that she topped with thick blue cheese and crispy bacon along with some grilled fresh red peppers. Man do I love her cooking.

Puerto%20Escondido.JPG

We both fell asleep listening to the sounds of the fish jumping along the protected waters of the cove.

That calming sound mixed with someone out on one of the sail boats playing a saxophone, which was very surreal. The way it echoed off the surrounding hillsides and lulled us to sleep was like I was already dreaming with my eyes open.

La Paz to Puerto Escondido
209 miles took us 6.2 hours to cover. We averaged 33 mph and 8.3 mpg, which isn't all that good, but the mountainous terrain was very steep for long stretches in many sections.

One military checkpoint where the guard looked in every cabinet in the camper, then told me "You have good day, Mister."

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Wednesday April 9th

Since we knew Loreto was one of the last big towns we would see for the next few days, we stopped and had our propane tanks topped off ($15 here compared to the $45 it cost me in California) and also had our bulk fresh water tank refilled.

So far, we've used 93 gallons just for drinking in the last 38 days of being in Baja. This bulk tank has come in very handy and is a much better way of not using the small plastic water bottles which create too much waste. I'm still amazed how they can fill the 35 gallon tank in the bed of the truck, and only charge me $2.50? It also burns my chaps every time I remember getting 8 gallons refilled in Mulegé for $8.

423624627_w9FKF-L-1.jpg

Once we had these little items taken care of, we drove North past all the beautiful beaches that were so packed the last time we came through here. This late in the season, they were empty and disserted, which made them look all the more appealing. But we had an agenda now, and needed to keep moving if we wanted to keep it.

San%20Ignacio%204.JPG

After Santa Rosalia, with a tear in our eye, we bid farewell to tropical waters of the Sea of Cortez and started our long climb up the mountains away from that beautiful coast. The next time we would see water, it would be the Pacific Coast, and much farther North.

423395358_Dvbnu-L-1.jpg

After hours of driving through empty desert, rimmed with some distant volcanoes, we decided to stop for the night in San Ignacio. This little campground was as picture perfect as they come. Nestled right beside the lagoon and rimmed with those big, beautiful date palms.

While Cindy cleaned the inside of the camper, I got out the hammock and strung it up on the waters edge between two big palm trees. When Cindy came outside, she said "You're crazy if you think I'm going to get in that!" I laughed asking her what she meant?

One of the times while we were staying in Playa Santispac, she went to get in the hammock and the rope came loose which dropped her hard on the sand. This time she pointed out that if anything came loose, you were going to end up in the lagoon.

San%20Ignacio%205.JPG

So I braved the risk of relaxing in a hammock beside a tropical oasis, while she said "I'm going inside to work on the computer." I was fine with that, I had a new book I had exchanged from the Puerto Escondido Book Club, and a few cold cerveza's I needed to see if I could polish off.

The best part of this campground is, there is no noise. It's set far off the road, and except for the constant sound of the wind blowing through the palms, that and the few birds swimming up to check me out, I had the place all to myself.

No better way to finish a long day of driving. With thoughts of never having to leave Mexico, I sat out in the hammock till the sun went down

Puerto Escondido to San Ignacio
188 miles kept us in the truck for 5.4 hours. We sped up today and averaged 34 mph and also increased our mpg up to 9.2! This is one of the most scenic drives along the Baja. For long stretches you're high up on a mountainside with amazing views over the turquoise waters of the Bahía Concepción.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Thursday April 10th

It's hard to leave a campground this picturesque, but we were starting to get excited to see new places and a town that would show us what Mexico is really about. That's what we were told Bahía Asunción would be like.

Asuncion.JPG

Diane, a woman I've talked back and forth with on the Baja Nomad Forum, had made sure to tell us that "The road out to the little village would be rough in sections, and that the sand drifts sometimes hide the road, but we shouldn't have too much of a problem."

Mike & Terri Church describe the road as "This is a long, rough, lonely road across Baja's dryest desert" in their Camping Mexico's Baja book.

The first 20 or so miles are paved, but potholed pretty bad. For most of the road, I was able to drive right down the center of the two lane highway, as we only passed one other vehicle, or I should say they passed us.

No matter which direction you look, the landscape is flat, scrub brush all the way to the horizon, blurred only by the heat waves coming off the white desert sand. Then we started seeing signs for something, but they were in Spanish, so we couldn't make out what was coming up. Cindy looked at our map which gives explanations in both English and Spanish and said "We're passing through some sort of Biosphere Reserve?"

I'm not sure what that meant, but we came over the top of a hill and our jaws dropped. If I thought our past few days of desert driving were eerie, then this was another dimension for sure.

Asuncion%201.JPG

There were salt flats that stretched for miles on each side of the road. At one point, I came to a complete stop and shouted "What the hell is that blowing across the road?!"

Up ahead there was big pieces of dried salt tumbling over top of the narrow road way in the strong winds.

This was just getting creepy.

As we passed over the salt flats, I got out of the truck to snap a picture, and was instantly shocked by the temperature drop. The wind was blowing something fierce, and the temperature had probably dropped 20°. Cindy started to get out, but then jumped back in the truck saying "Oh my GOD, what the hell happened to the temperature?!"

For the two of us, who were in shorts and t-shirts, going from high-70's just a few minutes ago, to the mid-50's was quite shocking. All in only 20 something miles. I got back in the truck and turned the heat up and we trucked on.

Our next obstacle was when I said "Does the road turn, or does it just stop up ahead?" Cindy looked through the 70-200mm camera lens and said "Nope, the road is just covered in sand!"

Looks like we might have to use 4-wheel drive on a Mexican highway.

Asuncion%202.JPG

We sat there looking at the big sand drifts wondering how soft they were and if we were going to get stuck out in the middle of no where. Just then I noticed a truck approaching from behind us, our second vehicle we'd pass in over 20 miles. We decided to wait and let them pass through the sand first to see how soft it was

Little help that did, as the truck was a full size 4x4 that never even slowed down. It just barreled off the road and bounced through the sand along the edge with no problems.

Well, worse thing that will happen is we'll get stuck on a main road...LOL So I put it in 4-wheel-high and drove through the smallest sections of the drifts. Just when you think you would start to get stuck, the tires would burry themselves through the sand and grab ahold of pavement and pull you through. I'm not sure how good this was for the driveshafts, but it pulled us through with no problems.

Once on the other side, we stopped to let the dogs out to run in the middle of the road. How often can you say to your dogs "Go on, run around in the middle of the highway!" and not worry about them getting hit?

Just past the big drifts, the road splits with one route taking you up to Bahía Tortugas and the other taking you to Bahía Asunción. We've heard that the road up to Bahía Tortugas is longer and much worse than the shorter route to Asunción. They're in the process of paving the road out to Asunción, so the first 10 miles is newly paved and as nice as can be.

While we were cruising along this beautiful section of road, we spotted a big saguaro cactus right along the edge of the road with a giant nest in it. We were both looking at the nest when we saw a big Horned Owl pop up and look at us.

Asuncion%203.JPG

I locked up the brakes and we sat watching as the momma owl perched over the fuzzy baby in the nest. We got to see the mother swoop down on some prey which it sat and ate in a nearby tree. It then flew back and sat watching us watch her.

A few trucks passed by us and would stop to see if we were in need of help as we were sitting right in the traffic lane with our flashers on. I figured we didn't have to worry about too many vehicles since we had only seen a few the last couple of hours and there was no shoulder to pull off onto. But it was nice to know that if you're stopped, the locals will all stop to ask if you need help.

When one of the truck drivers asked if we were all right, I pointed to the owl and showed him my camera. He then turned around and the passenger got out and crawled into the bed of their truck with his camera so they could also get a picture.

Once we were bored with the owl, or I should say Cindy was bored with looking at the owl, we moved on. I find it very funny that we carry our house behind us, and when Cindy says "OK, I'm bored with just sitting here." I told her to go in the camper and take a nap or make some food, or read or just do anything she wanted to do. I really wanted to sit and watch these owls and see if I could get some cool pictures.

She just says "No, I don't want to take a nap." So we start driving and not two minutes later, who's asleep in the passenger seat? Oh man, I normally let her sleep, but this time I kept making sure she stayed awake.

Asuncion%204.JPG

Once we got to where the road was being worked on, I know why Diane had warned about larger RV's trying to make the trek out here. They have you detoured into the desert along some rough, makeshift roads.

Even with our camper lifted, we scrapped down the backsides of many of the steep inclines.

Up to this point, I had kept saying "Chuck could have made this trip no problem, I don't see why she warned us about the roads."

But once you get into the dirt sections, I knew immediately what she was talking about. Chuck would have had to turn around and head back had he tried to make it in his Class-A. In my rearview mirror, I did see what looked like a larger Class-A coming down the road, but we never saw it once we got into town, so I'm wondering if it had to turn around?

After you get through the construction, you get to what many tell me all the roads in Baja used to be like. A narrow road/trail that is made up of a mixture of sand and gravel, and 100% deep washboards along the entire stretch. We've been on hundreds of dirt roads, many with bad washboard, but none like this.

I tired to pick up speed and see if we could just coast along the tops of the bumps. This made it almost impossible to hold onto the steering wheel, and I was afraid, or should I say I knew I was going to break something if I stayed driving like that.

Asuncion%205.JPG

The last 10 miles were slow going. Very slow going.

Cindy would try and talk to me and we would both end up laughing because the sound coming out of her mouth was being bounced like a little kid bouncing on their parents knee.

When we finally reached the little fishing village of Bahía Asunción, we both let out a cheer when we hit the paved streets. I know I'm going to have to replace the shocks when we get back to the states now.

Pulling through the narrow streets of Asunción, we had no idea what we were looking for. I had spoke to Shari a few times back and forth through emails, but had forgot to write down all the specifics she had told me once we got into town. I did remember that she described her place as being out on a point, so we drove till we saw a little stone house on a windy, rocky point.

I knocked on the door, but no one answered, I then walked down the street and interrupted a man working in his yard. We tried to talk to one another, but neither knew what the other was saying. He went in the house and came out with another man and woman. Not that it helped any, as neither of them spoke any English either. And me being the stupid Gringo couldn't even communicate with them enough to get some directions.

The man finally got on his cell phone and called someone. I thanked him and he told me "Someone will come who speaks English." Or at least that's what I got out of it.

Asuncion%206.JPG

I walked back and got Cindy, and as we were sitting there in what we thought might be Shari's yard, a young police officer pulled up. He walked up asking if we needed any help in very broken English. I explained that "We were looking for Shari."

He told us she was in town and said he could take us to her. So we got in his truck, and he drove us back into town.

With his limited English, he told us she was with some doctors, and was busy taking care of them. When we pulled up to the beach, there was a group of women walking along, and Larry, the young police officer, introduced us to Shari.

I explained who we were, and she said "Oh great, you've finally made it." She introduced us to the group of women she was with who were all doctors. They had flown in for the weekend to set up a clinic to help the local village with check-ups.

Shari told us that she helps these doctors with lodging when they fly into town. The Flying Doctors visit Asunción a few times a year for the small local village to get advanced medical attention. The doctors volunteer their time and fly in for a few days with some pilots who also donate their services to help this small village. Now how nice is that!

We talked for a few minutes and Shari pointed out a spot that we'd be safe to park at near her house. We really wanted to park beside the beach, but there was already a camper parked there, but they said they'd be pulling out in the morning. We asked about a spot we might be able to eat at, and Shari pointed to a small hut one block away, and said "La Palapa, it's got great food and great service."

We thanked Larry for the drive over, and parked the camper near Shari's house. We then wandered down to the palm covered hut for some much needed dinner.

We walked in and asked if they were even open? The nice woman came out from the kitchen and acknowledged that they were, and told us to please, have a seat.

The whole Palapa was maybe a 15' diameter, and covered with small wooden windows overlooking the very windy shoreline. She walked over to the table where Cindy and I were and just sat there looking at us. Cindy asked "Do you have menus for us to look at?"

The woman just said "No" with no expression. Cindy looked at me, and then asked "OK, what do you have to eat?" The woman thought for a minute and said a few items that we couldn't understand, but when she said "Tacos or Enchiladas", Cindy said "I'll have the enchiladas and he'll have the tacos, and two cerveza's please."

The woman left and went into the kitchen, where we could see her young, maybe 6 year old daughter, doing her homework at a kitchen table. Her son, who might have been 13, brought us out our beers and I said to Cindy, "I feel like we're intruding. This totally feels like were in someone's living room and they're making us dinner."

Mexican%20Simpsons.jpg

We sat watching The Simpsons in Spanish on a small TV set that was sitting in the corner on a folding table. We both laughed because the voices were much different in Spanish then they were in English.

Homer's voice was very deep and scratchy, and Marge's voice sounded like she had lung cancer and was a 4 pack a day smoker. Lisa and Bart sounded the same, and Ahpoo (the convenience store owner) even spoke in Spanish with an Indian accent.

When we were finished eating a very good meal, I paid the young boy and gave him a $3 tip on a $11 tab. When he looked at me somewhat confused and I told him to keep it, he ran out the door. By the time we were getting up to leave, he had come back with a fresh soda from the neighborhood store, bought with his well earned tip and a big smile on his face.

We walked back to the camper, freezing the whole way. The wind was blowing so strong that the wind-chill alone had to have the temperatures down to the 40's or 50's.

I laid down in bed and told Cindy to wake me up in 20 minutes, I just needed to take a quick nap. Next thing I know, it's 3am and I'm getting up to take the rest of my clothes off so I can sleep a bit more comfortable.

It was a long day, and I was exhausted.

San Ignacio to Bahía Asunción
Its only 119 miles but took us an excruciatingly long 5.7 hours. We only averaged 20mph and held 9.6 mpg average for those long hours of flat road.

Just North of San Ignacio, we did get stopped at a military checkpoint that I forgot to mention. The two young officers who came into the camper with me looked through everything very thoroughly and questioned me on many items.

When he saw my headlamp hanging above the bed, he kept asking me what it was? I put it on my head and turned it on to show him. He asked me "How Much?" I told him it was $10 thinking he was asking me how much I had paid for it.

He looked through his pocket and told me he didn't have enough. I then realized he was asking me how much I wanted to sell it for. When I told him he could have it, I thought he was going to hug me. His face lit up and he was all smiles.

I figured I can replace it at any Home Depot where I got it at, but to him, it was a big deal. So for $10, I felt good knowing I had made someone's day.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Couple of Photos to go along with todays drive to Bahía Asunción

423288595_hZNKK-L-1.jpg

Baby Owl sitting in the nest

423295326_JhZdk-L-1.jpg

Check out that Shoulder!! This is why they tell you to NEVER drive at night and one of the reasons why the narrower the vehicle the better

423324448_WXHdY-L-1.jpg

That little yellow and black sign was the only marker to signify that there was a 8' drop off along the edge of the road.

423374399_YLufa-L-1.jpg

Camped along the beach in Bahía Asunción

423373152_d65vw-L-1.jpg

Looking out over the Salt Flats while crossing through the Biosphere

423465587_uL35U-L-1.jpg

Salt Rolling over the road from the strong winds

Last edited:

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Friday April 11th

For how little the waves are here in this small protected bay, you'd think we were listening to a winter swell pounding the North Shore of Oahu. Waking right near the waters edge, the sounds of the waves and the morning gulls is one of the best alarm clocks I can think to open my eyes to.

The day looked beautiful, and the winds that were so nasty yesterday afternoon were gone. We grabbed the dogs and went for a long walk down the black sand beach.

423391234_JBHWK-L-1.jpg

The sand isn't as black and course as the black sand on those famous beaches in Maui, but it is a dark grey, and really makes all the bright shells stand out from the contrast.

Asuncion%2019.JPG

Walking along the beach, it was hysterical how Luca found a liking for the local crab population along the waters edge.

Never before had we seen him take notice to anything in the water, but when I pointed out one of the small crabs trying to scurry into the sand, he went after it.

At first, he'd eat them whole; claws, head and everything else he could get down his big sandy mouth. After about the fifth one, he had learned that if he held the body in his mouth, he could shake it vigorously, which would knock off all the arms, legs, claws and anything else he didn't want. Then he would just eat the body where all the meat was.

Lucy wasn't that interested in eating them, she just wanted to play with the ones that were still fighting to get back in the water. So it was a little team action going on. Lucy would find them, play with them for a second, and then Luca would come up and grab ahold of it and eat it up.

I wasn't sure who was having more fun, these two and their new found appetite for crab, or Cindy and I laughing at their antics.

After a few hours of walking along this deserted beach, we came back to the camper for lunch. The other campers had pulled out, so we moved our Sunline right along the beach and set up camp for a the long haul. Shari came over to see how we were doing and one of the pilots, Rob, came over to introduce himself.

We all got to talking about our travels, with Rob telling us about some great hide-a-ways and secluded little towns they know of from flying in with the Flying Doctors.

Another one of the pilots came over and to see what was going on, and after meeting Bob, they invited us to dinner tonight with the entire group of Flying Doctors. They told us that Shari had a little beach bungalow in San Roque, which is another, even smaller, fishing town only a few miles from here.

We offered our BBQ Grill, the dorado we had from Fishing with Congo's Charter Service on the East Cape, and said since they were trying to cram all 10 doctors in one suburban, a few of them could jump in our truck and ride with us.

It was still early in the afternoon, so we made plans to meet up later as Cindy and I needed to walk into downtown and see if we could find one of the internet cafes. Amazing to me that we're in a town this small and they have two internet cafes!

Asuncion%2015.JPG

By the time we got our blogs uploaded, answered a few emails and made it back to the camper, Bob was yelling from the beach house, "Hey, you guys want some Cerveza's?" Now, is that a great pick up line or what?

We sat around meeting a few of the other doctors and making plans for tonight. Bob was a very funny guy and had the kind of personality that put everyone at ease with his constant humor and jokes.

When the rest of the group gathered around, we all piled into our vehicles and headed down the sandy trail to San Roque. If we thought Bahía Asunción was what Old Baja was like, then San Roque was tried and true authentic Mexican fishing village.

Shari has owned a little cottage overlooking the beautiful Bahía San Roque for years, and the place was dripping with character. With an old church nestled in the mountains behind it, and a little cemetery on the shore, it was as picturesque as you can imagine.

423453721_fUwfP-L-1.jpg

Sunset over Bahía San Roque

The town is still without electricity or running water, and is really only used for a few months out of the year while the fisherman follow the catch.

When we had pulled into Bahía Asunción last night, the winds had a cool chill blowing in the breeze, but tonight the Santa Anna's were kicking and the strong winds were blowing like a blast furnace. It's hard to put it into words, but the setting sun over the bay, with the purples and pinks reflecting off the calm waters, the warm winds and the cold cerveza's....Lets just say "I think I've found home."

Asuncion%2020.JPG

The rest of the evening was spent mingling with great people who were filled with fascinating stories. I've come to the conclusion that if you surround yourself with different people, it's hard to have a bad time. There are so many great stories from fellow travelers who have seen so many places around this small world of ours, I'm confused how anyone can sit still in one place and be content?

Just when you thought it couldn't get any better, someone gasped out "Oh my God, look at the moon!" Every one piled out from under the front porch where the Grill was sizzling up fresh dorado and BBQ Chicken, to see an amazing ring/rainbow around the half-moon.

I had seen these big rings before, but never in a warm climate. Every time I had every seen something like this, it usually meant it was going to snow the next day. I found it hard to imagine it snowing anywhere around our vicinity with this Santa Ana winds keeping us nice and warm.

But in the few minutes I was trying to take a picture of the Moon Ring, I did see 3 shooting stars cross the bright sky. So maybe something was going on in the cosmos tonight and I just had a second to see some of its beauty. What ever it was, it was magical.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Saturday April 12th

I'm not sure who gets more enjoyment out of our beach walks, the dogs or Cindy and I. Today was no different. We walked along the beach laughing at the dogs eating their fill of crabs and chasing the birds along the waves.

Asuncion%2018.JPG

I found some really cool bones, one bird skull and a large vertebra that I will have to add to my collection in the truck. Hopefully if we get stopped at the border, the Customs Officers wont think we're some sort of cannibals when they open up the tool box on the truck and find a pile of various bones scattered about.

When we had reached the two mile mark, we turned around to start heading home. I was carrying a really cool shell in one hand, and Cindy had another large shell that she was carrying. Luca walked up and looked at us, sniffed both our hands to see what we were carrying, then found a large shell of his own. He then carried it all the way home!

I think he wanted to show us that he had found something he liked. We kept asking him what he had, to which he'd show us the shell, wag his tail and jog off all proud of his new find.

We did see a few whales very close to shore, and couldn't believe we were still seeing them this late in the season. A sea lion and some dolphins also would pop their heads out every now and then to take a look at us.

When we got back to the camper, Luca dug a big hole in the sand, and buried his shell in it. He made sure to cover it up with his nose and pranced away like he would remember it on the next walk. I know this isn't unusual for a dog to do, but in the 3 years we've owned him, we've never seen him do this.

Asuncion%2021.JPG

After our walk, Cindy and I wandered into town to meet up with the Flying Doctors and see how they were doing today. The women who rode with us last night suggested that we come by and see how they have the clinic set up. When I walked in and told one of the doctors that I wanted to take some pictures of their set up, she let me know that the two women who had rode with us were both Gynecologists, and it probably wouldn't be a good idea to take any pictures in that room...LOL

She did say that I was more than welcome to take as many as I wanted of the Optometrists room. That Picture is of Bob and Rob and two of the locals.

We sat talking with Rob and Bob about different events that we want to go to in the future, and Rob filled us in on a few tips about Burning Man. This is an event that we've been trying to make it to for the last five years and hopefully this year will be the one we experience it.

If we do, I doubt I'll be able to post any of the pictures of the debauchery due to the fact that clothing is optional, and most choose to leave their garments at home.

Asuncion%2022.JPG

The Santa Ana's had blown in some serious heat for us today, so Cindy and I picked a few shady beach chairs in the shade cast by the camper and caught up on some reading. Normally there is a cool ocean breeze blowing off the Pacific, but today the winds were kicking out of the Desert, and it felt like sticking your head in a blast furnace.

Kevin, a retired Americano who lives here in Asunción, came walking over as the sun was setting and sat sharing some of his awesome pictures from various Baja scenes he has captured in the past six months.

Cindy grilled up some fish and we watched the sun go to bed toasting with some ice cold cerveza's. While we were sitting out watching the sun do it's show for us, a young Mexican boy came by and showed us his pet Burro. He had seen Cindy out walking the dogs on a leash, something most of the kids think is very funny, so he wanted to show her that he could walk his Burro with a leash also

423464924_8kubT-L-1.jpg

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Sunday April 13th

Just off the Bay is a little island called Isla La Asunción. Shari told us the island is teaming with Sea Lions which had Cindy and I jonesing to get the kayaks down for a paddle. The island would be a short paddle across the protected bay, and would offer us a chance to paddle up-close with some playful sea lions, seals and hopefully a whale or two.

While the sun was just coming on stage, I was getting the boats off the top of the truck. Cindy packed us up a huge lunch as we planned on being on the water most of the day.

The ocean was nice and glassy this early, and if we could make it over the smallish waves that were breaking just off the shore, we would be home free for the rest of the paddle.

After my last battle with Mother Ocean, the one where she had won and I had lost alot of camera gear to her, I made sure everything was packed up good today. No fooling around, and I had all the drybags and waterproof boxes out and filled with camera gear.

Asuncion%2024.JPG

Cindy was a bit nervous because of the waves crashing along the shore, but we sat watching the rollers coming in and both noticed that they would come in with a predicable pattern. If I could get her out between the crashing waves, she'd be home free.

We counted off a set of waves, and as the water sat calmly, I started pushing her out to sea. While I was pushing her out, she started yelling for me to stop. I looked up to see a wave had come out of nowhere and was fast approaching her getting ready to break over the front of the kayak.

I yelled for her to start paddling hard, but she just sat still like a deer in the middle of the road with a truck barreling down on it.

I was already laughing as I watched the front of her 14' kayak head towards the sky, riding up the crest of a 3 foot wave that was breaking over the top of her.

When the crest of the wave hit her square in the chest, I could hear the air get knocked out of her with a loud thud. The kayak came tumbling backwards with her and everything else in the boat getting tossed into the cold waters of the Pacific.

Round two goes to Mother Ocean and this time she wasn't fooling around. This mean old lady had just tossed my wife into the surf and was now taunting me. Cindy came up screaming as the early morning water woke her up for real.

She grabbed a few of the floating pieces of equipment while I grabbed ahold of her kayak as the next wave almost knocked both of us back down. When we both got safely onto the shore, we sat laughing hysterically at each other once I knew she wasn't hurt.

"Just a bruised ego" she laughed, and we got to the chore of pumping the water out of her cockpit with the bilge pump. Once we had the boat emptied of salt water, we regrouped and came up with a strategy.

Asuncion%2023.jpg

Cindy pumping out the water. The red arrow points to where we were going to paddle to

Every ten minutes or so, the waves would die down, and you'd have a few minute window of flat, calm water along the shore. Cindy sat in the cockpit while we waited for our window.

When we both said "Ok, here it is, let's go!" I started pushing her out while she started paddling like mad. But something was telling us today we wouldn't see the island.

Just when I thought she was in the clear, we both saw what we hoped we wouldn't see again. Another wave started forming a little farther out this time and was coming for her with some force this time.

Oh man do I wish I had my camera in my hand to get this on film. But here I am standing in waste deep, early morning, freezing cold, Pacific Ocean water; watching my wife get pummeled for the second time in only a few minutes span.

This time the wave didn't knock her all the way over, but it did come completely over the top of the boat and ********** her in the chest again. She knew what to expect this time, and was able to hold her ground, but without her Spray Skirt on, the cockpit was completely filled with water again.

She was trying to paddle down the back side of the wave, but the boat was too heavy and just became a sitting log. The next wave started to form, and she knew she was in trouble. As she bailed out the side of the kayak, I was laughing for her to watch her back as the wave came crashing down on her.

When she came up for air, we were both laughing even harder this time, but she finally stood up and said "That's it, she wins, I'm done for the day!"

We got her boat out and back up to shore, where mine was sitting just itching to see some seals. That's two times in a row now we've tried to go for a paddle and have been foiled by the sea. Maybe something is trying to give us a sign, or maybe we just are too foolish to keep trying, but we werent going to be paddling today.

Just to rub it in, while we were sitting beside the camper sorting through wet clothes and gear, a pod of dolphins came swimming by. I looked at Cindy and said "I think they're taunting us!"

It took a few hours to get all the gear back up to the truck and cleaned off now that everything was covered in sand and salt water. The waves break so close to the shore here that they are filled with a silty sand. When they came crashing down on Cindy, they not only swamped the boat, but they also filled it with black sand and coated everything she was wearing.

Asuncion%2032.JPG

The life jackets pockets were filled with sand, all her clothes had sand in ever seam, and she had sand in places she wasn't supposed to. As she got undressed beside the camper, I laughed when she asked if she had gotten all the sand off her butt. I looked and said "Are you joking, you have so much sand in your butt crack, that you'll probably clog the shower drain!"

The next few hours were spent cleaning everything off and putting it back away. By this point, I was starting to wonder what I had done to piss off the old woman in the the sea. I needed to figure out a way to calm her down and allow her to let me back on the water.

When the heat of the day died down, we loaded the dogs in the truck and drove over to San Roque. This little fishing village was so neat, but had yet to see it in the daylight. Last time we were hear, it was mostly dark, so we couldn't wait to see what it held in store for us during the daytime.

423416131_mrgyH-L-1.jpg

The village is empty, except for a few fishing shacks and some crumbling buildings. We parked the truck, let the dogs out and wandered around looking at the various huts that Mother Nature is trying to turn back into dirt.

Asuncion%2033.JPG

There are power lines running through the village, but like many of the smaller villages here in Mexico, they only powered the homes when the generator was running. That power source had been long gone, so the power lines were just a reminder of years gone by.

There were various fishing boats sitting on the desert floor. Piles of Lobster Pots waiting for the next season to come along, and crumbling cars sitting in various stages of decomposition. It was a true ghost town in every way.

The weirdest part about it, was it was so peaceful, that if you offered me a piece of property anywhere along the Baja that we've visited so far, I'd probably ask for something right here.

With the rough road to keep people out, no power companies to worry about paying any bills to, and some amazing views of the Pacific Ocean right out your front door, I couldn't think of a better place I'd want to sit and retire at.

423463138_jCwjj-L-1.jpg

Maybe someday when we do retire, we'll try and find a place here. But for now, we just laid out a big blanket, and watched the surf roll in with miles of beach all to ourselves.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Tuesday April 15th

While we were out on the beach in San Roque yesterday, Shari came riding up along the shoreline on her horse with the two dogs clipping at its heals. She had ridden over from Asunción and Juan was pulling up in his truck.

They told us they were going to be staying in the Rustic Cabin for the week to get away from the hustle and bustle of Asunción. You know, the other village they have a house in that maybe has a population of 3,000 if every house and boat along the shore was full.....********

We all sat around talking and Shari asked if I would be interested in going Abalone Fishing with Juan? Why not, I'm always game to try something different. And how could I say no when I don't even know what an Abalone is or how you fish for them?

Juan works for a Co-Op Fishing Company here in Asunción that most of the town is employed by. He sat describing how they fish for these giant mollusks that are making a big comeback now that the Co-Op is protecting them. Apparently at one time, they were over fished and their numbers were in harms way of becoming depleted for good. The Co-Op now has security patrols and radar stations along the shoreline to make sure that commercial fishing boats don't come in and over fish the delicacy that is so sought after.

When I said I had never seen Abalone offered on the shelf and asked how you even eat it? They told me that you buy it in a can, and Juan and Shari explained that it's more pricey than Caviar and usually in the specialty, high-end shops. That explains why I had never seen it before.

Abalone%20Fishing%201.JPG

I guess the tender meat sells for $100 a kilo and most of it is shipped to Europe or the Orient where it is in high demand in very high end restaurants.

So after they told me all this, I was ready to go fishing this morning. Really I wouldn't do anything but ride along in the boat with Juan and his two other fishing partners. The set-up consists of a 3 man team with one man acting as the diver who finds the abalone and puts them in a netted bag that he carries with him to the bottom.

The two other team members stay in the boat the whole time. Juan is the boat operator and makes sure the boat isn't going to get smashed by the rocks along the shore. The other man in the boat is the Air-Handler and feeds the breathing hose to the diver that is supplied with air from a compressor on the boat. This guy also hauls up the full nets when the diver signals that his bag is full.

The Air-handler will weight a new bag, throw it to the diver who will swap the empty bag for the full one. While the diver goes back to work finding more abalone along the bottom of the ocean floor, this 2nd fisherman is hauling up the full bag and counting out the abalone. There is a limit on how many they can collect per day. There is also a limit on how small the abalone can be in order to be collected.

Before the sun was even up, I was standing in the protected cove with 20 other fisherman waiting for our Panga to float up and pick us up. Talk about being the odd man out. Here I am wearing some technical clothing, my knit hat and had running shoes on and a camera bag standing on the shoreline.

Abalone%20Fishing%202.JPG

Milling around me is a large group of Mexican fisherman dressed like you'd expect any fisherman to be dressed. Some had thigh high rubber boots, others had hip waders or heavy duty slickers. The divers in each group were suiting up in their thick wet suits and most were looking at this little gringo with his big camera like he was an alien. It didn't help that I spoke no Spanish so I had no idea what they were all saying about me? First thing I'm going to do when I get home is take a Spanish language class.

So when Juan walked up and said "Good Morning" I was relieved to see someone who spoke English and could explain to this group why I was here. He looked at my shoes and let me know that I was probably going to get a bit wet. I knew that was a requirement, but I didn't want to be wearing Sandals or flip-flops since the cool morning air was already making my teeth chatter.

So when our Panga pulled up, I walked into the water knee deep right beside Juan and jumped into our boat that would ferry us to his boat which was moored in the cove. Juan introduced me to Hector, the air-handler who would stay in the boat with us for the rest of the day, and Martin, the diver who would be braving the bottom of the sea floor today.

We all got onto Juan's Panga, and found a place to stand while he motored out to their fishing locations. About 20 minutes later, we pulled up to a rocky shoreline where a few of the other pangas were already bobbing around in the rough waters.

I was a tad concerned when Juan kept motoring right up to within 50' of the crashing surf. I laughed to myself and was glad that Cindy wasn't with me right now or she would have been screaming that we were way too close for comfort. But I figured this is what they do for a living, so something tells me they know what they are doing

As the diver strapped on his weight belt and made the sign of the cross with his diving knife, he jumped overboard and Hector started up the compressor. As Juan killed the boat motor and picked up a set of 10' long wooden oars, he began paddling to keep us clear of the thunderous waves that were crashing all around us, covering the boat with a nice salty spray.

I was surprised that within 20 minutes the diver was tugging on his line and Hector was tossing out an empty bag and hauling up the full sack. He heaved this huge bag over the side and went to work filling the plastic crates that were on the floor of the Panga.

I'm not one to eat much fish, and seeing what these big crusty things looked like up close, basically a monstrous snail looking specimen, I would never pay a dime to eat one, I don't care how good they taste. If one was on the small side, Hector would pick up his measuring stick and make sure they werent taking anything that was under the legal limit.

Abalone%20Fishing%203.JPG

Once his crate was full, he would go to work to retie the net, all the while keeping an eye on the divers hose in the water to make sure he had enough slack and the hose wasn't getting tangled up in anything.

Looking around us, there were multiple Pangas with divers coming in and out of them and waves never ceasing to stop pounding the rugged shoreline. I was awestruck on how much work this was and how meticulous the fisherman were to never get too close to the shoreline, yet maneuver around in the rough surf like they were standing on solid ground.

I'll admit that I usually get sea sick when it comes to rough water, but maybe because the past few months of Baja fishing, my body is starting to get some sea legs about it. And I would never let myself, this little Gringo, get sick in front of these seasoned fisherman. That would just be too embarrassing. So I breathed deep and told myself I was fine, no matter how bad the surf was.

Abalone%20Fishing%204.JPG

When we had pulled away from shore, it was around 7:30am, and by 9:30 we were headed back to San Roque with our days limit of 130 Blue Abalone and 30 Yellow. I guess the Yellow are a more rare species and fetch a higher dollar at market, but are also limited on how many they can collect per season.

We had seen numerous seals bobbing their heads out of the water along with a few dolphins who had swam past in search of their own morning meal. Two hours of hard work, and they were done for the day. That's my kinda job.

Once we pulled the boat back up to San Roque, there was a truck waiting to collect the days catch, before the fisherman were headed for home. I sat on the front porch of the cabin with Shari and Juan and toasted a cerveza to a good days work on the water. Really all I did was watch, but how can you turn down an ice cold beer with some new friends? Even if it is only 10 in the morning...LOL It's noon somewhere isn't it?

Abalone%20Fishing%205.JPG

This is one of my favorite shots of the day. Look at the size of the wave that 20' boat is riding up! Our Panga was a bit closer to the shore so the wave was a bit steeper when it had got to us! Abalone Fishing was some of the wildest type of fishing I've done so far and all I did was sit in the boat for a few hours!

Now how can the day be topped after that morning filled with excitement? Keep reading and you'll see. Abalone Gallery can be seen here.

Well when I got back to the camper, Cindy had spent the morning cleaning the endless supply of sand out of everything, and had even shook the sheets out! We walked into town so I could take a few minutes to upload some stuff at the internet cafe while Cindy did some shopping at the local market.

We got back to the camper and were relaxing in bed with our books, when we heard a knock on the door. In broken English, an older Mexican man was saying "Anyone home?"

I jumped up and said "How can I help you?"

He introduced himself as Ramón and asked "Are you enjoying your stay here on the beach?" I was thinking it was the guy who owned the property we were parked on, because just this morning Shari had asked if the guy had come down and said anything to us. She said that "Every now and then, the guy would get ornery and kick people off his beach front parking spot. But if he hadn't come by yet, then you have nothing to worry about."

So this was the first thing that popped into my head. Ramón asked if I needed a beer as he was holding onto a Tecate. I let him know that I was fine and I had a fridge full of Coronas. That was my first mistake.

He proceeded to plop himself down in one of our beach chairs and started talking to me like we were old friends. Cindy had come out by now and introduced herself. We all sat around talking for a few minutes and the young Mexican man that was with Ramón was looking at him like he wanted to get going. Ramón would just say "Cool down, these are nice people. Sit, talk with us." But his young friend spoke no English and just stood off to the side in his truck.

After about a half hour, Ramón asked me, "Did you say you have Corona?" I said "I did" and he asked if he could have one. I went inside and Cindy grabbed me saying "Ok, this is sort of weird, who is this guy and why is he just sitting here like he knows us?" I just shrugged and said "I think the old man is drunk and just likes to talk about himself."

Ugly%20Mexican.JPG

Working in a bar for so long, I'm an expert at putting up with drunken people, but Cindy was getting a bit nervous, so she came outside and said "Kevin was supposed to come over for dinner, I'm going to go see if he's ready."

Ramón asked me who Kevin was to which I questioned "If you lived here for so long, why don't you know Kevin, the big American who lives right next door?" Ramón just said "I do not know this Kevin you speak of, so I will wait and see who he is!" He asked me if he could go inside and use the bathroom, and I just sort of blew it off saying "Nah, just go outside" I didn't really want him in my camper but didn't like the fact that he just stood beside the camper to relieve his bladder. But remember Pat, you're in Mexico and this is the way the locals act.

Cindy came back and let us know "Kevin will be over in a few minutes." Really she had just woke him up from his afternoon siesta and explained what the situation was. He told Cindy he didn't know this man and would be over in a minute to make sure everything was Kosher.

I was starting to get bored with this Ramón, if that was even his name? He had introduced himself to Cindy with a different name, and the drunker he became, the less English he used. He kept talking to me and half the sentence was in English with the other half in Spanish. When I would tell him I couldn't understand anything he was saying, he would just laugh and tell me "Well you need to learn Spanish then!"

Normally I would just play along, but his friend who had now come over and sat with us, would look at me whenever Ramón wasn't looking and twirl his finger in circles beside his ear for the universal sign that Ramón was crazy. I thought to myself "Great, we now have the crazy town drunk sitting at our camper and cant get him to leave?" Then this young guys wife showed up and they left, leaving us stuck with Ramón for good!

Finally Kevin walked over and introduced himself and was able to talk with Ramón in Spanish. By this point, he had given up with the English and any communication with him was out of my hands. When he introduced himself to Kevin, he again used a different name, so who knows what his real name was?

It only took one beer before Kevin was through with this guy. He stood up and exclaimed "Oh Crap, I forgot my phone and Shari was supposed to be calling." He walked back a few seconds later and announced "Hey Shari called and invited us over for sunset margaritas."

Cindy's head popped out of the door and said "Margaritas, lets go right now!" This was our escape route. I stood up and said "Well Ramón, it was great meeting you, but we have to go!"

He thanked us for our hospitality and walked off. Cindy and I just sort of laughed and said "Thank God for Kevin!" Two seconds later, Kevin pulls up and who's in his passenger seat but Ramón? ****** happened here?

Asuncion%2031.JPG

Kevin got out of his truck and says "Ok, here's the deal, he walked over to my house and asked if I could give him a ride home. We're going to drop the guy off and we'll be through with him."

So Cindy and I crawl into the back of Kevin's pick-up truck bed while Ramón and Kevin get in the cab. We couldn't hear what they were saying, but we were both laughing the whole ride because Kevin kept shaking his head and shaking the guys hand. Finally the guy got out and said "Goodbye" to us, we both waved and Kevin drove off. Wheew! We had gotten ride of him!

We circled back around to our camper and Cindy made us all a nice big dinner while we laughed about our days ordeal. You just never know who's going to come knocking on your door here in Mexico.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal