Crap! Oil Sludge

Mountaineer

Truck is the right vintage toyota for sludge problems. My sister had a 2004 Lexus RX 330 the sludged up at 60,000 miles. Not that any of this helps you.

That engine needs torn completely down and put in the parts washer. Put back together with new bearings and seals and then try a different brand of oil this go around. Good luck.

Westy

Adventurer
Looks like a previous owner neglected that engine since you haven't owned the rig for all that long and unfortunately now you are left dealing with the effects of their poor maintenance habits. Good luck, you will have a great running truck soon to enjoy! Make the best of it...

cam-shaft

Bluebird days
^^Looks clean. I have never used Pennzoil personally but I have seen sludge issues from it, but I have learned that there is usually more to the story, such as someone did not change oil at very good intervals pertaining to use of motor. Overheat, yada, yada, yada.....
I would recommend as stated earlier for a conventional oil to use Valvoline. Winter time I run 5w30 and summertime a 10w30. Keep track of your intervals, I am pretty old school and change oil at 3000 or base it off of use. If I am at 2500 miles before next oil change but I know I have a high load situation coming up I will just do an oil change.

I have switched both of my vehicles over to mobile 1 synthetic and I run a half quart of marvels oil mixed with them. This seems to helps with any sludging build up. I only go 4000 before oil changes with that. My experiences and history with hp and motors will not allow me to ever go for the high mileage oil changes. A lot of those high mileage ratings from OEM's is to show a low maintenance cost to the consumer.
Running a good quality fuel will also help keep oil temps down, no you will not be able to see this unless you get an oil temp gauge, but what you are doing is allowing the combustion chamber to burn a little cooler and piston to not be as hot, therefore the transfer of heat to the oil from piston is less. I'm done rambling. :)
Cam-shaft.

Last edited:

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
That sucks. I'd guess the previous owner had a lot to do with this.

Save the penzoil for lawnmowers.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach