Create Georeference PDF files for Avenza's PDF Maps app

highwest

Curious, do many people still use Avenza? What's new on converting maps? Any sharing platforms appear in the last few years?

This post helped me when it was originally posted, I have ArcGIS for work and use that. Been collecting updated resource maps for BC and the Yukon, a number are not Georeferences.

With everyone I know, different backcountry activities from rallyraid gang, hikers, and hunters, using Gaia exclusively. Only those with the logging companies still use it as far as I know. Wonder who still uses Avenza.
I use Avenza. In the US, all of the USGS and National Forest maps are available there for free, in addition to many other free resources. I have paid for some Baja maps that have definitely been worth the money. I know how to use Avenza well enough, so between that and the amount of free maps available, it keeps me from switching to Gaia, onX, etc.

COAKXterra

I still use Avenza as well. MVUMs and agency travel maps are the legal definition of open routes, so I tend to stick with them. I’ll cross reference to google maps or another app where necessary or to help with planning.

dman93

Adventurer
New to this thread, but I use Avenza a lot. It’s pretty clunky, searching and finding stuff in the map store is slow, but when you need it, it works. It is frustrating that there are still PDF maps posted by public agencies that aren’t georeferenced. I spoke with a guy at our local BLM office who does their maps and he shared my frustration; he said that it was so easy there was no excuse. Now that our primary travel vehicle has CarPlay (and AndroidAuto) I wish Avenza supported that; Gaia, OSM, Google and other mapping apps do. It’s also annoying that Forest Service MVUM’s are free, as are BLM maps and USGS topo’s, but regular FS maps are not. Our government works in mysterious ways …

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy