Crossbars For RTT Support

I was going to order some Mopar crossbars for my roof rack, the purpose of which would support a RTT w/me in it. I’m figuring the RTT would weigh no more than 150 lbs and I’m a bit south of 200 lbs.

The Mopar website doesn’t list a max weight the crossbars will support, so I’m hesitant to drop the $250 for them. Is there any reason to believe they won’t support the weight? Is there a specific brand people are using for RTT set-ups?

What vehicle? I think it’s fair to say most people are using aftermarket racks, not manufacturer racks.

Sorry, it's a 2019 Jeep Renegade. It already has the production raised side rails, so I figured the obvious choice for crossbars would be the Mopar brand, as there would be no question in regards to fitment.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I don’t know enough about the renegade to tell you specifically. Hope you get an answer here. There is a big difference between dynamic (on highway or trail) rating and static (while your tent is set up) but the consequence of being wrong is a seriously dented roof, or maybe a rollover, so make sure you triple check any internet advice!

rgallant

Adventurer
I do not know about Jeep specifically but most vehicle seem to be in the 160lbs range for dynamic loading and about 2 to 3 times static. But Mopar should be able to tell you, crossbars without a load rating are pretty useless.

Checked a few after market sites about 150 -160 but they do not specify dynamic or static load Rhino claims 176 for a pair of load bars

I do not know about Jeep specifically but most vehicle seem to be in the 160lbs range for dynamic loading and about 2 to 3 times static. But Mopar should be able to tell you, crossbars without a load rating are pretty useless.

Checked a few after market sites about 150 -160 but they do not specify dynamic or static load Rhino claims 176 for a pair of load bars

I called a Jeep dealership and they could not tell me the load rating of Mopar's cross bars, nor is it listed on Mopar's site. I'd contact Mopar directly, but they don't have contact info listed on their site. :rolleyes:

Quadratec has a set of Thule cross bars rated at 165 pounds for $350, which seems quite expensive. I submitted a question asking if that is the static or dynamic load rating. They also have some other Thule cross bars for $500 (yikes) and no load rating listed, so I submitted a question about those as well. Let's hope I get answers.

The RTT I'm looking at buying weighs roughly 120 lbs, which appears most cross bars are capable of supporting. However, I'm 190 lbs, and if my wife comes along, she's 95 lbs, so really need to know what the cross bars will handle before pulling the trigger on them.

rgallant

Adventurer
I feel your pain, I went through the same thing with my Discovery II. Front Runner load bars (gutter mount) and they will not give a load rating beyond around 220lbs dynamic, but it might be less according to them.
I run solo so just me and the tent, I am getting a light weight tent 100 or so lbs plus me at 195ish so I should be fine.

I had one advantage in that a local tent supplier used run a heavier tent and 3 people up top of his Discovery, on 2 bars with no issues, I am moving to 3 just for piece of mind.

I feel your pain, I went through the same thing with my Discovery II. Front Runner load bars (gutter mount) and they will not give a load rating beyond around 220lbs dynamic, but it might be less according to them.
I run solo so just me and the tent, I am getting a light weight tent 100 or so lbs plus me at 195ish so I should be fine.

I had one advantage in that a local tent supplier used run a heavier tent and 3 people up top of his Discovery, on 2 bars with no issues, I am moving to 3 just for piece of mind.

My guess is I can safely double the dynamic load rating for the static load rating...not sure I'd want to go over that without a definite answer from the manufacturer. If Thule is 165 dynamic, then that would be 330 static, which is cutting it REAL close when it comes to me inside the RTT (310 lbs). I best not gain any weight, nor go camping after Thanksgiving dinner!

Seems I found a different solution. GOBI makes a rack with a dynamic load rating of 300 pounds and a static load rating of 800 pounds, so I'll be going with that.

I heard back from Quadratec in regards to the rating questions I asked about the Thule cross bars. The AeroBlade Edge Low Profile and the Crossroad cross bar systems each have a static rating of 165 lbs and a dynamic rating of 75 lbs. I'm betting the Mopar cross bars are about the same, if not worse. Wow...and to think about the number of people cruising around with 100 lbs plus of RTT on their vehicles using such cross bars. To hell with Vegas because THAT is real gambling. Those are not the people I'll be driving behind.

Last edited:

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I heard back from Quadratec in regards to the rating questions I asked about the Thule cross bars. The AeroBlade Edge Low Profile and the Crossroad cross bar systems each have a static rating of 165 lbs and a dynamic rating of 75 lbs. I'm betting the Mopar cross bars are about the same, if not worse. Wow...and to think about the number of people cruising around with 100 lbs plus of RTT on their vehicles using such cross bars. To hell with Vegas because THAT is real gambling. Those are not the people I'll be driving behind.

The thing to remember is that all those tents are only mounted with (4) 6mm stainless cap screws and crappy locknuts that rattle loose all the time. The bar rating is nothing really, it just dents the roo

The thing to remember is that all those tents are only mounted with (4) 6mm stainless cap screws and crappy locknuts that rattle loose all the time. The bar rating is nothing really, it just dents the roo

Yeah...people are certainly playing it fast and loose (no pun intended) when it comes to mounting their RTT. I hope they're at least checking and tightening the mounts regularly. Oh well...I'll not be making the same mistakes.

976-HIKE

I think the garden variety crossbars are for kayaks, canoes, etc. I put some crossbars on my wife’s Trailhawk recently and the advertised load rating was about what you’re citing there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy