Cummins or Cadillac?

Woofwagon

Adventurer
Redthies,

I would love to put in a Cummins. In fact that was my original intent with this project. However when I saw the work that I would need to do to make that happen, it kind of dampened my enthusiasm for it. I plan on keeping this Burb for a long time. Maybe after I get tired of one engine, I can throw in a Cummins with all the axle and transmission upgrades needed. For now, the quickest upgrade power wise would be to just cam up the 350 but I'm still left with a 350. A Cadillac 472/500 can be had for 200-800 bucks used and parts are reasonably cheap.

In terms of plug/play and time involved, I think the Caddy swap is the best option for my circumstances based on all the evidence. All your input and experiences is greatly appreciated.

Csm Davis

Caddy is a awesome engine had one in the 80's that got 21mpg hwy in an Eldorado. I am putting a Buick 455 in my 88 Blazer. Will be watching this thread.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I had a 1 ton Chevy with the Caddy recently, and loved every minute of it!! Sold it to a local fella who refuses to ever sell it!!
Got mid teens on a 4x4 T400 without issue. However, when playing around with lots of skinny pedal, it can get as dismal as a boat. But what fun!?!?

superbuickguy

Explorer
205 is about 130 pounds. np203 is the pig, and it weighs in around 190.

you're thinking NP208, I promise you the 205 is heavier than the 203... the cynic in me believes that the reason they made the transmission/transfer case cover removeable in the 4x4 was so you could use an engine hoist to lift that sucker...

superbuickguy

Explorer
Slow down there cowboy! I wasn't saying you WERE going to get 5-6 mpg. I was only saying IF that was the numbers, I'd think on it. I've owned big block gas engines (460 Ford with ZF5, and 454 with auto [700R4?]) and the fuel economy varied wildly. The 460 gave me low teens, and the 454 was in the single digits.

I'm not slandering the 500, as I've never owned one. I know it is a great motor, I just don't know what mileage you'd see in a big 4x4 truck. It seems like you DO know what to expect, so please enlighten me.

no need to supplement the other posts of people who've done the same thing as I have other than to say "yeehaw"... but I say that anyway, so no worries there :)

MikeCG

Adventurer
Clandr1, I had thought of that but I want to eliminate as much electronic stuff as possible. Plus the Cad could be built for pennies (in relation to other engines) and still have 500-600 foot pounds of torque without having to spin the engine way high.

If you use on of the iron block truck LS 6.0L, you can get them fairly cheap, and as far as the electronics, Summit has a lot of options. My uncle has an LS based 454 engine in his 1969 Camaro Show car. Its carborated and runs on an aftermarket ignition system. He bought the engine complete and dyno'd at 625hp/580flbs from a company called Motown. It was drop in ready. little pricy though because it was a crate motor, not one pulled from a wreck.

Although, personally I would go with the diesel. I'm actually in the mark for a 2500 Suburban to build. My plan is to eventually convert it to a 5.9L Cummins. If I can find a wrecked Dodge with the engine and good axles, I might do a complete drive train swap also. If it has the Dana 60/ Dana 40 setup.

Last edited:

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Check out the Isuzu 4BD1T. Like a Cummins 4BT, but possibly cheaper. You don't need 600tq unless you are towing or racing... one of the 3.9L diesels with a mild tune will return over 400tq and probably damn near 30mpg even in your land yacht.

Woofwagon

Adventurer
Thought about the 4BD1T as well. Having a hard time finding one of those too and adapting it to the transmission/transfer case for minimum expense.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
It takes an SAE bellhousing adapter just like the Cummins I believe. I'm a fan of the Caddy 500 as much as anybody but it sounds to me like you really want a diesel but are getting tunnel vision thinking about boiling the rear tires off with 500hp/700tq V8 :)

superbuickguy

Explorer
Thought about the 4BD1T as well. Having a hard time finding one of those too and adapting it to the transmission/transfer case for minimum expense.

GM put those in several vehicles overseas - thus, if you'd like that option, look there for adapters. I think the Isuzu diesel is one of the best light duty diesels out there..

Woofwagon

Adventurer
I have no intention of boiling the hides off, I want reliable torque that isn't going to break the bank or the frame....
Diesel or gas, it really isn't going to matter much. With my current circumstances and facilities to do the swap, the Cadillac would be the simplest to install.

MotoDave

Explorer
6.5 TD with a NV4500 should be pretty much bolt in, right? Not the same as a 6BT though, but if we're talking easiest now ... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater