Curious - How much below sticker are people paying for new 4Runners?

High_Country

Adventurer
The wife and I are starting to contemplate the next vehicle and we've been looking hard at the 4runners.

I'd like a '14 (due to some of the updates - my personal preference).

I'm curious - about how much are people typically paying relative to sticker price on the new 4Runners. It's necessary I mention the Trail Edition, Premium package has our eye. This, depending on how you select some of the options, is a vehicle that stickers right around $40,000.

I've never bought a Toyota vehicle new. Do dealers come down much? Is there much room in the 4Runners? Should I expect to strike a deal of say, $3000 less than sticker? $5000? None? (When I bought my 2011 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4, I paid $10,000 LESS THAN STICKER :Wow1: which was quite common).

I'm just curious as to what to really expect as far as a 'deal' on one of these.

Thanks.:coffee:

MotoDave

Explorer
Check out truecar.com, I used them when I bought my '12 Tundra and it was pretty helpful to get an idea of what people are paying. I was able to get a quote from a big volume dealer through the site, which my local dealer matched (grudgingly).

A quick look at the toyota site doesn't show much for incentives right now. A few times a year they typically have a deal with $x cash back or 0% financing, in my case it was $5k on the tundra. This money comes from toyota corporate, not the dealer, so you can do your negotiating with the dealer then discount the $XXXX off the top of that.

bkg

Explorer
poking around at dealers here in TN - most 4Runners are listed WELL above MSRP...

4runnerteq

Explorer
Toyota hardly ever offers incentives on 4 runners. They dont have to. And ten grand off any Toyota sticker. Aint hapnin. Unless maybe you can find a demo somewhere. Even then its not likely. Supply and demand.

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
There are very few cars out there you should be paying more than invoice price. Even then the dealer is making 2% to 4% provided they sell enough volume to get their hold backs released. Depending on the time of the month and/or year you can press them below invoice so they give up some of the hold back. Edmonds, USAA, are good sites to know what a vehicle cost retail and wholesale including options.

Arclight

SAR guy
There are very few cars out there you should be paying more than invoice price. Even then the dealer is making 2% to 4% provided they sell enough volume to get their hold backs released. Depending on the time of the month and/or year you can press them below invoice so they give up some of the hold back. Edmonds, USAA, are good sites to know what a vehicle cost retail and wholesale including options.

Consumer Reports has a pay service that will let you find out the price of the car you want, the price of the options, and all of the incentives and back-end dealer money. I used this when I bought my Subaru. I added and subtracted everything to get what I thought was close to "actual cost" for the deal, and then decided to shoot for not paying more than 5% over that. It took 3 dealers and walking away over a $100 difference, but I got it. They weren't happy that I knew the names and amounts of all of the factory programs.

Arclight

c_mack9

Adventurer
To answer your question, the 4runner you're looking at has about 3-4 grand worth of markup between sticker and invoice, in my region anyways. Now, if you expect your dealership to sell you the last of the body on frame, truck based 4x4 suvs left in production that are still manufactured in Japan in limited numbers and in a brand new body style and not make any money you might get your feelings hurt. Buying a 4runner is NOTHING like buying a Dodge truck. When I sell one, I typically discount about $1,000 and I make my customers understand why I insist on making money on these. Like someone above mentioned, Toyota rarely has any incentives on 4runners, but right now they do. In my region they're offering $500 rebate, or a special financing rate.

Reece04

Observer
When I decided to get a 2014 SR5, I used truecar.com and it came in about 4k less than what the dealer sticker was. However the best priced dealership was 140mi away. I explained that I was willing to drive to save. My dealer came down 3500 and I accepted.. Truecar helped but we only have 2 dealers in Tucson, so the competition is not huge, however the Phoenix market has several so the prices were a little more competitive.

Good Luck!

p nut

butter
Truecar in my area reveals sales prices just around invoice. That's what I would set the target at. When I shopped for a new car two years ago, I went on truecar, ebay motors, Costco program, and emailed several dealers in the surrounding states. Best deal I got was through a dealership in Denver. Then got my local dealership to match the price. Make sure you email dealerships, so you can just forward the quotes to your dealer. Makes it easier.

High_Country

Adventurer
There is a thread related to your inquiry. Take a look here - http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-g...ying-2014-4runner-out-door-9.html#post1576880
I posted what I paid on page9 post#126. A lot of other people have posted in that thread of what they are paying for from their region. It varies region to region. Hope this helps

Wow, thanks man! This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I appreciate the link!

It seems that somewhere in the $3000-$5000 below MSRP is a 'good deal'.

High_Country

Adventurer
To answer your question, the 4runner you're looking at has about 3-4 grand worth of markup between sticker and invoice, in my region anyways. Now, if you expect your dealership to sell you the last of the body on frame, truck based 4x4 suvs left in production that are still manufactured in Japan in limited numbers and in a brand new body style and not make any money you might get your feelings hurt. Buying a 4runner is NOTHING like buying a Dodge truck. When I sell one, I typically discount about $1,000 and I make my customers understand why I insist on making money on these. Like someone above mentioned, Toyota rarely has any incentives on 4runners, but right now they do. In my region they're offering $500 rebate, or a special financing rate.

Thanks. I can respect that. And, for clarification, I wasn't suggest I was expecting $10,000 off MSRP like I got on the Ram - I understand they are totally different vehicles in totally different markets. I was just using it as an example.

I'm in business myself and understand negotiations have to result in a deal that is reasonable and fair to both parties. I'm just trying to get a true sense of what is 'typical' so when we're looking at vehicles I have a better idea of the true cost to purchase.

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
Consumer Reports has a pay service that will let you find out the price of the car you want, the price of the options, and all of the incentives and back-end dealer money. I used this when I bought my Subaru. I added and subtracted everything to get what I thought was close to "actual cost" for the deal, and then decided to shoot for not paying more than 5% over that. It took 3 dealers and walking away over a $100 difference, but I got it. They weren't happy that I knew the names and amounts of all of the factory programs.

Arclight
I did the same internet price research when we bought our Subaru Outback in 2010. I negotiated with several dealers via email until a got it $500 under invoice ordered the way I wanted and delivered to my front door. Some one earlier said you can expect $3k to $4k on a 4Runner and that true. Most cars our marked up 10% to 13% from invoice and dealer hold backs are 2% to 4% below that. I always shoot for invoice or less.

c_mack9

Adventurer
Wow, thanks man! This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I appreciate the link!

It seems that somewhere in the $3000-$5000 below MSRP is a 'good deal'.
Depends on where you're located. In my area, $3000 off one of these would be a phenominal deal, and $5000 off would be ludacris.
Thanks. I can respect that. And, for clarification, I wasn't suggest I was expecting $10,000 off MSRP like I got on the Ram - I understand they are totally different vehicles in totally different markets. I was just using it as an example.

I'm in business myself and understand negotiations have to result in a deal that is reasonable and fair to both parties. I'm just trying to get a true sense of what is 'typical' so when we're looking at vehicles I have a better idea of the true cost to purchase.
Good to see you're reasonable. I suggest asking your sales rep if you could see the invoice, then making an offer from there. If you offer $500 over invoice, they'd probably take it. There's probably about $700 of holdback on that rig so that would be a reasonable profit for them. Also, if you plan to finance, discuss that before you make your offer. The dealership profits from the finance department as well, and ask if there is a documentaion/processing fee. A lot of dealerships don't tell you about that until after you have come to an agreement and stick it on in the finance office.

*EDIT* I see a lot of folks mentioning TruCar, skip them. I have had customers bring in quotes from them with "fair purchase prices" that were well below invoice. I've yet to see a reasonable quote from them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater