Custom All-Pro Rear Bumper Jerry Can Swing Out

winch wench

Adventurer
so........way back when i started to mentally get ready for my first expo (OBX) with the FJ Bruisers....I started a thread looking for suggestions on storage for water and gas...I got a lot of good suggestions too (thx Bruisers)....
Mike Curnow (gotta give him some credit :wave: ) put me on to a group buy in the blue room for the all new Allpro rear bumper swing out...they were having a group buy but i couldnt wait for that...OBX was comin up and quick...

after some good advice from Fred and Mike, I decided to take the plunge and order the swing out...anticipating having to modify the brackets (didnt know who was gonna do them at the time - it was a total leap of faith)

All Pro was having a sale that weekend = free shipping on all items July 4th weekend..so i ordered it (no powdercoating) cuz i knew there would be modifications..

i got the swing out in a very timely manner..they hadnt started fabrication yet (on the day i ordered it) so it took about 10 days for fab then 5 for shipping...

in the mean time, i met up with Doug (Automotive Outfitters/Toyota World in Newark, DE) at the Cecil County fair (having already known Doug for awhile, i still had no idea of his fabricating and welding skills)...we had a long chat at the fair and that's when i decided to ask him to take on the project...
i really felt comfortable with my decision and trusted him to do a great job...

ok..enough BS...onto the good stuff!! :lol: :lol:

i do wanna give myself a little credit for the conceptualization but more importantly Doug and his right hand guy Chuck (who i found out today lives right near me :bigthumb:)
get most of the credit...they did one hell of a job making the custom brackets to fit the ARB...and the powdercoating is absolutely exquisite...

ok....onto the pics....PLEASE EXCUSE THE DIRTY TRUCK!!!.... :)

if you have not already seen, here is a pic of the actual all-pro bracket for drivers side with the spindle..

after install:

right side bracket with clip

left side bracket with spindle

with the Wedco's in place...no rachets yet

btw...the rachet straps are on now...will take pics tomorrow in the day light...
i opted for blue..there were camo ones but not as strong...

:victory:

targa88

Explorer
Unfortunately the All pro design only deals with half of the issue - being able to carry a couple of cans or other accessories (seen a mod where an air tank was attached). However the other issue, which is removing the weight of the spare tire of the door (and those weak hinges) is not addressed.

99wj

Adventurer
wouldent it make more sense if the tire was on the rod coming out of center of the "swing out" (the thing with the red cap on the end). it seems plenty strong, and i think the mod could be DIY, seems simple enough...

mcm4090

Explorer
wouldent it make more sense if the tire was on the rod coming out of center of the "swing out" (the thing with the red cap on the end)

Agree. Don't really understand why they didn't finish it by adding a tire carrier.

For something the just holds two can it seems a bit much. How much does it go for?

Yudda

Adventurer
I agree that a tire carrier should be incorporated into the design.

But this is the same concept that jeep owners have used for decades with the Adventure Rack.....just imho, a more elegant looking solution.
Yes, a overly complicated solution to mount two jerry cans....but i think with a little more refinement, we could finally see something unique vs. the same old tire / can arrangement were all used to.

i also like the fact that it can or very easily give, the spare tire some theft prevention....In fact it gives me an idea for a Defender. :)

shalom ya'll,

Rob

Last edited:

winch wench

Adventurer
unfortunately, I didnt design this swing out...:Wow1:

it turns out to be an excellent alternative...since there are only approx 2 or 3 swingouts available for the FJ...thats the problem...not the tire...

the hinges are very adequate for the spare on the rear door...

i think putting a tire, 2 jerrys, a hi-lift etc is too much to put on the bumper...but thats just me...

im satisfied with the set up...IMO its the best alternative to carrying jerrys thats out there for the fj unless you wanna carry on the roof...
im trying to get stuff OFF the roof...

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
Perhaps it is overkill for mounting a couple of Jerry-Cans. BUT - no sense re-inventing the wheel (or wheel-carrier, as the case may be). I like it. With the tire carrier already mounted on the vehicle, and this swing-out made of tube, it leaves a lot of mounting options for other gear, considering available space and weight capacity.

Check out http://fourtreks.com/roll_bar.html and the options are nearly limitless.

You could mount a Hi-Lift, Shovel/Axe (1 or both), PowerTank, Fire Extinguisher, Ammo Can (GP storage box), Pull-Pal, Antennas, lights, or any combinations of these. With a little bit of creativity, and possibly a little more slight modification, that thing could be VERY utilitarian ...and sweet looking!

winch wench

Adventurer
exactly my point....:ylsmoke: lots more stuff can be mounted...
i just ordered some clamps from HiLift...

and most importantly, since this is my DD...i dont need to have the swing out on the truck all the time...expos are few and far between and trail runs dont always need jerrys....

i want to be able to quickly remove it when i want without worrying about the spare...

Yudda

Adventurer
I agree wholeheartedly !

like i said .... i like it alot because its different than the standard wheel / jerry can holder we've seen for decades.

and thanks for posting. its given me hours of daydreaming since you did.

I just wish i knew how to use CAD.

rob

winch wench

Adventurer
I agree wholeheartedly !

like i said .... i like it alot because its different than the standard wheel / jerry can holder we've seen for decades.

and thanks for posting. its given me hours of daydreaming since you did.

I just wish i knew how to use CAD.

rob

thx...it definitely gives ya food for thought...:drool:

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Do you by chance know where the latch pins came from and do they lock in an "up" position?

winch wench

Adventurer
Do you by chance know where the latch pins came from and do they lock in an "up" position?

i would contact all-pro...the whole product is theirs...except for the custom mounting brackets to fit the ARB rear bumper...

their brackets are shaped to fit over the all-pro rear bumper...

it locks in a "down" position...
if you go to their website you can view several pics..

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I just had this added to one of their bumpers onmy Taco.

TireCarrier1-1.jpg

We used a trailer application spring latch on it. I like the looks of the ones they used on that too though. They have a cleaner appearance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl