custom bumper reliability

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
For an accurate answer to that question you should contact each builder and ask. Answers from this forum will be more conjecture than fact.

ARB advertises that is ha
s
"invested heavily in vehicle crash barrier tests to validate the performance and compliance of its air bag compatible bull bars. . . ," but does not detail any other type of stress testing (if any), nor does it publish exactly how the "crash barrier tests" were performed. I am not aware of any other custom bumper fabricator for the 2005-2015 Xterra that advertises or publishes any testing procedures or results.
I suspect that ARB knows a lot about their bumpers and some smaller manufacturers and shops would have access to SolidWorks or Pro/E. Whether they have the analysis packages is impossible to know, but it's not outside the realm to think even a custom fabricator could do FMEA the same as Toyota or ARB (e.g. anyone willing to build roll cages ought to be able to do this). The liability to publishing this information or making claims based on it would, I think, preclude any disclosure.

It's easier to say this clevis tab or 2" square receiver are "not for recovery or towing use" despite knowing full well they are built strong and capable of being rated. That's why I think we as end customers all we can do is ask, use our best judgement and rely on experiences of others to really decide.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
The best thing to do is JUST BUY QUALITY PARTS. Do not buy from places that offer a bumper for 350 bucks. you are getting sub par build, materials etc. I have seen a fully built JK unlimited with all armour, roof rack, full rear gear setup in the back loaded and with shrockworks front and rear bumpers, and then attached to a boom truck and lifted in the air completely off the ground by one shackle. Strong enough for me!

OP. I think your reading more into this than is needed. You probably won't get any hard data numbers as they are off road items. Some people will destroy anything then try to blame the builders.

Robert Bills

Explorer
To Trae:

I neglected to mention that P&P Engineering, a small fabrication shop located in Indiana, now offers bolt-on front recovery points for the 2005-2015 Xterra. Cost is $50/one or $75/pair, plus shipping. As mentioned before, P&P has a spotty reputation for customer service and the owner is quick to cop an attitude with customers who dare to voice a concern, but it is another option in the marketplace and in all fairness to P&P, the company does have a following of loyal customers who are satisfied with the products they received.

13631650_516260168564296_2793028180547165884_n_1024x1024.jpg

http://p-p-engineering.myshopify.co...xterra-frontier-front-bolt-on-recovery-points

https://www.facebook.com/PandPengineering/

MikeBoyle

Observer
Other than ARB you are not going to find a manufacturer that is going to give you and testing data or durability guarantees on a custom made product. In the sue happy society we live in it is not feasible to offer a consumer any durability guarantee. By purchasing any aftermarket product, you as the consumer are accepting that you fully understand that installing said product will alter the vehicle outside of the factory parameters. The majority of reputable manufacturers will do everything in their power to provide you with a product that preforms to the level their customers expect, but there will be no guarantee that it will hold up to or has been tested to perform to said levels.

javajoe79

Fabricator
Other than ARB you are not going to find a manufacturer that is going to give you and testing data or durability guarantees on a custom made product. In the sue happy society we live in it is not feasible to offer a consumer any durability guarantee. By purchasing any aftermarket product, you as the consumer are accepting that you fully understand that installing said product will alter the vehicle outside of the factory parameters. The majority of reputable manufacturers will do everything in their power to provide you with a product that preforms to the level their customers expect, but there will be no guarantee that it will hold up to or has been tested to perform to said levels.

Well put. If you try hard enough you can break anything. People who build these, do so with experience, usually. You build something, you break it, you make it stronger, you break it, repeat until satisfied. I would be willing to bet that most failures of decent equipment come from user error. Then blame MUST lie on the guy who built it right? Hell no! **** happens...

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Do not buy the Calmini Xterra bumper. One of the biggest mistakes I've made. It looks nice but is flimsy garbage.

dman93

Adventurer
As a retired mechanical design engineer, I know just enough to:
A) not trust a human life on anything I'd design myself, let alone actually fabricate
B) think that most low volume, fabricated aftermarket parts aren't really engineered. Many are over-designed and are probably plenty strong, and many have gorgeous fabrication and/or design features, but not really engineered the way OEM stuff is, which is to meet specific strength and reliability specifications, with a design margin, and cost and weight goals. For example in may cases, thinner steel, shaped properly, and with appropriate welded joint design and area, can be much stronger and lighter than thick steel, but most aftermarket stuff relies on thickness for strength at the expense of weight. But, see A above :)

E.J.

Explorer
-A4oQ-4D0Jt8rfjfDDW6cx69tTd8xMuFhuuvlSqD3Vt-XFfaL-tceRbddUC_Qk59oDkQCxul7S8lo76U_TjKD4FkzlLeEXKEYfwapL7UZhDqbPZcKzZl2WhBTIM1ou1NSf0fuxrZTT5aeTAsesbG0ez_m4GXiqwnAV-6AbeKYPxhMC8lPg8DqEoVe7t0oomgi-IfjyeVeSiC4hhmdmVEW5g63eSE-CKkUOn25_2A1nJN3FNUvKx9tvZPs4E4vq5kdr4tH5SW7rVyjzpSu8mrhLX5z3NTwlGPeRyw8aTI0EnPT2h6lxYJGNJeat7VU0rFsxrJZ1K-tSH_nki9X-JIi1Vk4k8PT3NZsqm93pJCaBz_CZIHDHSZP50CqBui0TfOJ0YoyUbG4cDQAvxsHu0D6dQ1E9VHDFDnLXLCjPmT0zil5p5yp48NdyFSBpefnfjzp8t8FMKZWXqxMQy_wxPHf6iaBrx2PsdmrPJPlFnMTpEFdDXn31szHNMKZmluEpecG9Y0yq89TP74vJO-NV95bkMISDQyMTbSh1oOxFuJEZS9jst8Q3CJwi3XirehB5fhsXYvT1zrWJZZws-ZyfZaqdFvCGQY0AZK_oCXEbKQBgWAbmZ2gg=w1732-h974-no

If anybody is interested this is how nice the P&P recovery point plays with an ARB bumper. Next to it you can see a P&P radiator skid that needed a bit of nipping and tucking to work with the ARB bumper. Dude got pretty salty when I pointed this out, then gave me a great discount on an oil pan skid. Also have sliders from them that are pretty OK.

altaboy

Observer
Just to say: Those factory hooks are typically designed/included for transportation tie downs (think ferry from Asia to us). That is typically why they are located only on one side (front/rear).

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Great read. I have full faith and confidence In ARB front bumpers, particularly after one saved me and my truck after a guy ran a stop sign and I put my 60 through the rear side door of his mini van. A little bent and scratched but not totaled like the van. Thank god no one was in the rear seat. I've had really good luck with reputable builders for my rear bumper builds. Good luck.

DaveInDenver

Just to say: Those factory hooks are typically designed/included for transportation tie downs (think ferry from Asia to us). That is typically why they are located only on one side (front/rear).
That's usually true but not always. On Toyota Pickups and Tacoma there are both tie downs and tow points, sometimes one of each like the factory made it. Sometimes two tie downs (on base model Tacomas) are only present.

This is first gen Tacoma, top one is the tow point and bottom is usually what the other side looks like, which is as you point out just for transportation.
$_1.JPG

This is a 2nd gen Tacoma TRD. Notice it has both features cast in, the loop in back served as the transportation tie down and the hoop in front is safe for recovery.
836C694B-7D05-4A50-BE24-99B7C5701DB4_zps2ot8togj_mid.jpg

Again, both. This is what the recovery point on the 1986-1995 Pickup looked like. The rear loop was just a tie down like the 2nd gen Tacoma above and the opposite side of the truck just had a tie-down loop.
$_1-1.JPG

This one is stacked, a tie down sandwiched under the tow point. Tie downs can have utility, such as a place to hang your winch hook and still have the recovery point free.
point.jpg

More Tacoma. In this case someone took the tie down loop off and replaced it with a second factory recovery hook.
img_1569.jpg 010-toyota-tacoma-front-tow-hook-factory.jpg

Last edited:

maktruk

Observer
That's usually true but not always. On Toyota Pickups and Tacoma there are both tie downs and tow points, sometimes one of each like the factory made it. Sometimes two tie downs (on base model Tacomas) are only present.

This is first gen Tacoma, top one is the tow point and bottom is usually what the other side looks like, which is as you point out just for transportation.
View attachment 377518

This is a 2nd gen Tacoma TRD. Notice it has both features cast in, the loop in back served as the transportation tie down and the hoop in front is safe for recovery.
View attachment 377519

Again, both. This is what the recovery point on the 1986-1995 Pickup looked like. The rear loop was just a tie down like the 2nd gen Tacoma above and the opposite side of the truck just had a tie-down loop.
View attachment 377520

This one is stacked, a tie down sandwiched under the tow point. Tie downs can have utility, such as a place to hang your winch hook and still have the recovery point free.
View attachment 377525

More Tacoma. In this case someone took the tie down loop off and replaced it with a second factory recovery hook.
View attachment 377521 View attachment 377522
I would feel really sketchy on a snatch pull with any of the ones you've shown in that post. They're all cast, and not a single one can be "closed" leaving a chance for slippage at all times. Not safe.

There is a huge difference between a tow hook and a recovery point.

DaveInDenver

I won't argue and don't disagree with you on a closed loop, rated recovery point over any tow hook. Having a rated bow shackle connected to a rated bracket is of course better. I assume P&P provides a rating and engineering documents of validation testing for theirs.

I do wish there was a better option for my Tacoma for this.
I'm left with making a calculated guess on a bent 1/2" A36 plate such as what Bullet Proof offers (although I don't have any reason to doubt their 8250 lb rating).
DSC_0462_1024x1024.JPG

I'd really like ii ARB put this into production.
full

But we'll just have to disagree about saying these are insufficient recovery points for a strap eye and flatly that cast parts are unacceptable. Gunnebo, Crosby, Columbus-McKinnon and Van Beest all feel both forging and casting are fine since they use both processes in manufacturing various rigging and lifting parts. If those manufacturers feels comfortable rating something like a cast hook for a load then I don't think it can be argued that casting is always bad.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven