Custom rack design for a roof tent & awning on a Raptor...

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
I should be getting my Raptor in about 2 days and as soon as I've got it - I'm going to start designing a rack to mount the roof top tent above the bed and cab, along with awnings and lighting etc etc... Also thinking of adding a secondary factory spare tire mount suspended under the roof top tent - so a tire can be pulled up there if I want a second spare... and on top of that - mounts for the flat board sand ramps... and also attachment points for dune flags...

Just a rough sketch here:

RTopen.jpg

Once I get the truck I'll take the detailed measurements and improve the plan...

Just before I start that though, any other thoughts / considerations?

kodiak-black

Observer
First off, that's a really cool drawing! Second, let me just clarify I'm not a hater of RTT's. BUT have you considered a camper shell with a nicely set up sleeping platform? I have an F150 with a Leer shell with a sleeping platform using common under-bed storage bins to store supplies etc. The top is for sleeping and everything else is neatly tucked out of the way. You can set up the top of the shell with a rack, lights, awning, supplies, etc. PLUS, the shell is good for much more than just sleeping. I have used this system on my last 3 trucks, F250, 2006 Tundra, and my current F150.

Now with all that in mind I should say that I don't keep a shell on my truck. It's off my truck 99.9% of the time. I ride dirt bikes regularly, etc. I made a shell "dolly" with wheels that allows for storing the shell on it's side. I take it off my truck, fit it into the padded dolly and roll it back to my side yard. Eeezy peeezy.

I have no direct experience with RTT's myself, however, I was on a trip this past spring to Death Valley that solidified my position. 2 vehicles had RTT's and let me tell you they didn't sleep a lick the first night. It was very very windy and I would look out my hard top shell window and see their high mounted, soft sided tent blowing like crazy into the wee hours of the morning. My wife an I slept soundly except for being woken up occasionally by the sound of a flapping RTT.

Anyway just food for thought. Your drawing does look very cool.

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
Thanks - the only problem with that idea is that the bed of the Raptor - regardless of which cabin you choose - is just 5.5 ft long. I could curl up in that space I'm sure but prefer to have a bit more room. The tent is 6.8 ft long. That's why you see the tent overhangs the cabin a little.

The reason for choosing that tent style over an ARB was the fact that the roof / one side is still a solid piece. The sides may flap a bit in the wind but it should be manageable. 9 times out of 10 we have very little wind to worry about and being up on the roof top means that the wind we do have is less likely to be bringing the sand with it. If the wind is too strong to get a decent nights sleep we can always go down to the cab and recline the seats. :)

WhiteEvo

Observer
Like the drawing and idea Oman, I would extend the rack to the front of the roof, that gives the lights a better shot of lighting the way and it gives you a little more storage area.

SDR

Nice drawing! Not a Ford guy, but I absolutely love the Raptor. Cant wait to see this thing when its finished. sub'd.

loren85022

Explorer
Thats a great start. As you advance the design, perhaps look into adding an awning to one side. Having some shade thats equally easy to setup goes along way in relaxing on the trail.

jeeps4fun

Adventurer
Looks nice. Just make side to leave enough clearance between roof and rack for frame flex Agree on moving the front of the rack forward for better lighting but don't know that I would want to put much more weight out there without good bracing

Kowboy

Adventurer
Cool design. Just be careful with weight ... those trucks ain't designed to haul much of a load.

I cringe when I see pop-up campers on 'em.

Mako1114

Adventurer
Looks like a good design and I see you kept with a red colored vehicle. Are you still working on the Brute or is the Raptor its replacement?

Cheers

steelheadbum

Adventurer
Like the drawing and idea Oman, I would extend the rack to the front of the roof, that gives the lights a better shot of lighting the way and it gives you a little more storage area.

I agree with extending the rack, it would be a shame not to utilize all that extra storage space.
Buck

The Redneck Mexican
2002 E350 7.3 PSD 4x4 8inch lift pop top conversion....

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger

Have thought about that and may do that in the future when the Rigid Industries lights are available in a curved radius - just for aesthetics and light function. At the moment though I have the straight 50" lightbar that was on the Jeep and will position that on the leading edge of the tent which is straight anyway. The Raptor has a sunroof that I want to keep unobstructed anyway so it's not like I'm going to put a storage basket there any time soon. :)

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
Thats a great start. As you advance the design, perhaps look into adding an awning to one side. Having some shade thats equally easy to setup goes along way in relaxing on the trail.

Awnings are definitely on the to-do list. Thinking RhinoRack FoxWing on the drivers side and RhinoRack Sunseeker II on the passenger side. Choice between quick set up or larger shade area. As soon as I collect my truck I'm on the way to the RhinoRack dealer to collect them. :)

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
Looks like a good design and I see you kept with a red colored vehicle. Are you still working on the Brute or is the Raptor its replacement?

Cheers

Still working on the Brute - the door gaps are vastly improved now and the front fenders are hung and the rear bed is sitting on it's bushings. We're putting the truss on the front axle which will include the mounts for my suspension arms and then we can get it sitting on the springs so that it sits naturally, and then get everything laser-straight on the bodywork. It's good progress.

But the Brute will be a project that's going to take many more months still. The Raptor is a more practical daily driver than the Toyota 86 that I just sold, and is a bit of an overkill rig in stock form for light duty long distance trips. The Brute will be more about heavy duty short distance trips. The advantage of the Raptor is - as soon as the bank says yes - it's ready to rock and roll. The wait is killing me though :)

May end up doing the Brute in Raptor red so they match perfectly :)

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
Have you looked into the Flippac (http://www.flippac.com/)? They are a bit pricey but when open you have a porta-condo! I've been in mine in winds strong enough to rock the truck and slept soundly.

Funny you mention that - I did Photoshop up something just like that but a little more rounded off. Decided against that though at this stage - just felt like a nice carbon fibre roof top tent on an aluminium sport rack was more in line with how I intend to drive the Raptor. I have a heavy right foot. :)

RaptorEV.jpg

RaptorEVopen.jpg

Although one day I would like to get a second Raptor - but a full size crew cab - and experiment with making it a single-cab with a full on camper box on the back instead of the bed using the extra chassis length. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach