D2 - Front ABS Sensor replacement - Questions. Is there a tutorial?

taylorRichie

Adventurer
Hey guys,

If anyone has followed my last thread, you're already familiar...

I bought a D2 with the 3 Amigos showing themselves.

Scan has been completed, first check - Front Left, and Front Right ABS Sensors, as well as Shuttle Valve control. Quick Drive, 3 amigos revisit - This time Front Left.

So I bought a new sensor. (retail at a dealer, didn't realize they could be purchased online for half the price)

Anyway, I have some questions.

1: Is there a Pictorial Tutorial anywhere online? I've searched, I thought I had good google skills but perhaps someone else will have better luck.

I have the RAVE manual, but it tells you to replace the entire hub including the sensor as one unit. Which is pretty silly considering the dealership sells the ABS sensor separate.

2: What size socket is needed for the Hub? My kits only go to 27mm so I'll need to buy one.

3: Do you guys cut, solder and heat shrink? Or do you take the time to run the new sensor all the way back to the SLAB ECU? Great Basin mentioned they cut and solder, but I was curious what you guys are doing. Why did Rover switch to long wire? The little short plug seemed much simpler. If you do cut and solder... where do you recommend to cut?

4: Anything to watch out for when removing/replacing the hub? I don't want to damage the sensor, or any other components.

5: Any wear and tear items that should be inspected/repalced while the hub is out? things to watch out for, tell-tale signs that the hub needs replacing?

6: Advice? I'm 3 days into Rover ownership and want to make sure that I do things right, that I properly maintain a reliable vehicle. I intend to overland travel, and want to make sure I have a great experience. I want travel to be the experience, not trailside repair.

Thanks again everyone!!

I'm anxious to shut off my christmas tree of a dash, and hit the trails.

Richie

david despain

Adventurer
no need to pull the hub. if i recall its one or perhaps two allen head socket cap screws and then the sensor just pops out. make sure the oring comes out with the old one. look to make sure there are no big chunks of hub bearing or sensor wheel teeth stuck to the end of the sensor ( its magnetic) and make sure the new oring is on the new one and the tip is clean and reinstall.
the reason there is a long harness on it now is because where ever there is a connector there is a possibility of corrosion, so no connector no corrosion, thus eliminating one source of failure for the component. so i would run it all the way to the SLABS unit. having said that, when i replaced a couple of sensors a few years ago, i shopped around to find some NOS sensors that had the short wires so it was plug and play, so i dont really know how much of a pain it is to run that harnes all the way back

taylorRichie

Adventurer
Awesome! That's good news...

I wish I had been more familiar with these and shopped for shorties. Though I think they're rare from my quick internet searches.

The passenger side is quick to the SLABS, but driver's side looks a bit involved.

Guess I'll figure it out tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Richie

Just replaced my L.F You have to loosen the axle nut and hub bolts(Do not remove bolts) and tap the hub outwards just to get enough clearence to slide the sensor thru. When you take it apart you will understand.

taylorRichie

Adventurer
Awesome! Thanks CFKN!

I actually had GBR replace both sensors, Front Brakes, and give the vehicle a total inspection.

My Amigos flashed on yesterday for 5 minutes or so, time to do the Shuttle Valve modification.

Also finishing my install of a second (small AGM) Battery in the back, and a compressor for on board air. Headed to Moab next Thursday!

Your welcome!

Do you have any pics on the dual battery set-up? I just finished my On-Board fresh water tank, but I'm running the pump from the main battery still.

taylorRichie

Adventurer
I don't have a picture but I'll snap some when I have a chance. Basically I ran an 8AWG wire to the back, built a small bracket to hold the battery. It's just behind the rear driver's tire. I removed a support bracket that was behind the panel, and also cut out the inside of the storage pocket (I don't have a 7 seater). The compressor, Inverter and the Battery fit great. Along with a solar regulator, and 3 relays.

I intend to install a dual battery tray under the hood, in addition to the small battery I have in the back.

On my trip this weekend I did run my battery out. It lasted about 36 hours running my ARB Fridge (not sure model). That was primary and secondary battery. I have an isolator, but had issues getting it installed prior to the trip. (I think I need a 4 post diode style isolator for our Alternators)

How did you do your on-board water tank? is it a flat large cell? do you have images? It's on my list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333