Daily driver tires, suggestions?

Elk

Observer
I am currently running BFG AT's in a 285/70/17 on my Tacoma. They are the third set I have owned and consistently get round 65-70,000 miles to a set of 4. With that being said, I also have a pair of Cooper AT3's in a 265 size as a spare set. They weigh in at around 51lbs per tire if I recall correctly and are very quiet with excellent wet and snow manners. They are approximately 2mpg's more efficient as well. I purchased them based on positive reviews here and in OJ.

Regarding Duratracs, my only experience is with several Jeep XJ buddies who had tried them and experienced premature cupping and uneven tread wear across three different sets on three different trucks. They liked the looks but didn't have the longevity they expected for the price. They are a very trendy tire right now and a lot of people swear by them, but they seem a bit aggressive for an everyday commuter.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
BFG AT's... For my needs here in the PNW, they're my favorite tire by far. Tough as nails, good even wear, great ride quality, awesome wet/snowy performance. And they hold up to off-road abuse beautifully. Just wish I could find the 33X9.50's (or even a 34-35x10.50 in both AT and MK2 flavor :drool: ) more readily, if at all. Great tires.

Cheers

Dave

bkg

Explorer
Those of you with the Coopers - I'm reading that a few folks have complained about premature tire wear and noise. Any feedback?

I've been a BFG guy all my life for DD, but they are demanding a premium for their name these days, so looking for alternatives for the wife's 2010 4Runner. Hopefully one that doesn't kill mileage (she has dealer installed Michelins now - they are cracking after < 3 years, but get great mileage).

Last edited:

98OzarksRunner

Adventurer
Those of you with the Coopers - I'm reading that a few folks have complained about premature tire wear and noise. Any feedback?

I've been a BFG guy all my life for DD, but they are demanding a premium for their name these days, so looking for alternatives for the wife's 2014 4Runner. Hopefully one that doesn't kill mileage (she has dealer installed Michelins now - they are cracking after < 3 years, but get great mileage).

As I said above, I'm at 44K on my AT3s and wish they would wear out - I want some new ones, but they probably have 10,000 or 15,000 miles left in them (they have a 55K mile warranty). I measured the tread and it is exactly 1/4" left. I do hear them a little but not anything like a mud tire - somebody goes by me with those and I definitely know it. They are very smooth and pretty quiet.

DSC_1157_zps24511533.jpg

Last edited:

ebg18t

Adventurer
I have run the Nitto Terra Grappler for an all round tire on 2 different trucks. I am running them right now as my off road right now has a lot of sand and they float quite well. Plus they are quiet for daily driving. Overall wear is quite good.

lathamb

Observer
I'm running Goodyear Silent Armor (D Rated I believe/ 305 70 R16) on my moderately built 80 series, and they have almost 70K on them. Driven and wheeled them all over the country and couldn't be happier. They still have over 10K left I'd say on the tread. I'm putting a set on my 4Runner when its time.

p nut

butter
Sorry if I missed it, but is there an option for a 2nd set of wheels? If daily driving/MPG is a concern, I would personally get some 30" highway all-seasons on 15" rims for daily driving duties for max on-road performance and MPG gains, then more aggressive set for your offroad ventures.

If that's not an option, I have personally enjoyed BFG KO's. They're do well in all types of terrain and last a long time. After about 50% tread, performance decreases dramatically, so I usually end up selling them for $200-300 and buy new ones. Size wise, forget 235/85/16. I noticed no MPG gains (about 19mpg with either tire) and on and offroad performance decreased compared to 265/75/16. These just have no lateral grip, which can be unnerving especially off road. There is NO advantage of the 235's over 265's other than possibly price.

Last edited:

SIZZLE

Pro-party
I run duratracs for my daily driver with an 80 mi per day commute. They are louder than most ATs but tolerable. Otherwise they have good road manners and great grip off-road.

My main issue was finding an all terrain that ain't load range e which is too stiff IMO for these trucks. The only options I found were duratracs in c or terra grapplers in d. I went more aggressive.

bkg

Explorer
As I said above, I'm at 44K on my AT3s and wish they would wear out - I want some new ones, but they probably have 10,000 or 15,000 miles left in them (they have a 55K mile warranty). I measured the tread and it is exactly 1/4" left. I do hear them a little but not anything like a mud tire - somebody goes by me with those and I definitely know it. They are very smooth and pretty quiet.

DSC_1157_zps24511533.jpg

Out of curiosity, what load rating are you running? I typically run load range C, but thinking the SL for the 4runner based on cost and trying to keep her in a slightly smoother ride.

98OzarksRunner

Adventurer
Out of curiosity, what load rating are you running? I typically run load range C, but thinking the SL for the 4runner based on cost and trying to keep her in a slightly smoother ride.

Load range C. Most of my driving is on the road and they ride smooth (I run these at 40 psi on the road). They have done well for me off-road as well. I wouldn't get the SUV (P-rated) tires for off-road use. The C-rated Coopers also have more tread than the SUV tires of the same size.

Last edited:

midwayliberator

I run Duratracs 285 70 17 on my 06 tacoma, I use to drive around 150 -200 miles round trip for work and would still get 20 highway. I have put about 40,000 miles on my current set with still good tread. There good tires in all terrains.

JasonRedwood

Explorer
Sorry if I missed it, but is there an option for a 2nd set of wheels? If daily driving/MPG is a concern, I would personally get some 30" highway all-seasons on 15" rims for daily driving duties for max on-road performance and MPG gains, then more aggressive set for your offroad ventures.

If that's not an option, I have personally enjoyed BFG KO's. They're do well in all types of terrain and last a long time. After about 50% tread, performance decreases dramatically, so I usually end up selling them for $200-300 and buy new ones. Size wise, forget 235/85/16. I noticed no MPG gains (about 19mpg with either tire) and on and offroad performance decreased compared to 265/75/16. These just have no lateral grip, which can be unnerving especially off road. There is NO advantage of the 235's over 265's other than possibly price.

I wish a 2nd set of wheels was an option right now.
And yeah Im going with the 265/75's. Thanks for the feedback P Nut.

Im leaning towards the Cooper AT3's

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk