Damn you everywhere else but USA!!!!

enzo

Explorer
As much as I want one it'll never happen. It won't meet our crash standards or pass emissions testing (and it doesn't have 15 cup holders and a blind spot warning system for the soccer moms). Besides, the kids will start turning these into bling chariots or bro dozers and start coal rolling everybody.:D

CYK

Adventurer
Many of us want what we can't have.

With that said I love how boxy it is. I'd rock one.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
If Toyota was dumb enough to bring those here, they would sell 5 of them and the rest would gather dust on the lot. Nobody wants to pay $50,000 for a vehicle with rubber floormats and hand-crank windows (and it would cost at least that much by the time Toyota brought it up to US emissions and crash standards, added TPMS, traction control, skid control and all the other stuff that modern SUVs have.)

Instead of obsessing about what you can't have, why not take one of the many capable vehicles that is available in the US and build it up to your liking? By the time you are done you will have spent the same amount of money anyway and you'll have something that is tailored to your needs.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
jeeze, when did you get your degree from Buzzkill U?

Since he learned how to post on forums, lol.

He is right, though. And it's not like they're getting anything special under the hood, just the same 4.0L V6 we already have in the 4Runner, FJC, and Tacoma.

Yeah, I'd like to see a 70-Series sold here, but I'm more interested having other engine options (i.e. diesel) in the trucks we do get.

Patrollife

Explorer
Not sure where the $50,000 price tag is coming from. I procured seven of the 70 series LCs for a project I worked on in South Sudan. There's a reason why these vehicles are prolific in harsh environments and terrains. They are built to be simple, stout, durable, and easy to maintain. Sure the ride sucks and doesn't compare to an FJ or Tacoma. But they aren't built for the highway.

voodoojk

Adventurer
]
This is it right here. Everything think the LC is invincible. Look at what ISIS is using to run over Iraq. F-250's. And I'm not a ford guy.

Yes.. Not a toyota for mile in the ISIS ranks lol. Sorry just busting balls. :)
image.jpgimage.jpg
the fords and hummers are what we left behind and they have stolen from the over run Iraqi bases. I saw them using a ram dually in one pic. Grrr

Back on topic... Yes I dream of a 70 series LC. Not sure why this version is stirring up people because in AUS you can get a brand new 70 with turbo diesel from any dealership still http://www.toyota.com.au/landcruiser-70-series/range

For me.. I just love the basic shape and utility of them. Nothing in the USA does it for me like a troopy LC. I have owned a 2dr JK, a 4dr JK and 2 Tacoma's now. Currently in a 2012 DCSB TRD OFF RD. i also work for land rover and see dozens of built and stock defender 90's and 110's on a daily basis and still love the 70 series rigs over all these. I guess it's just simple but modern( modern as in 0 miles showroom new opposed to a 25 year old Isuzu trooper with 198+k miles) utilitarian approach, worldly travels/adventures to back it up. The defenders are cool but I know how much they cost to fix. Lol

Last edited:

Patrollife

Explorer
I worked in South Sudan for nearly a year and led the procurement of these three models....had them fully outfitted. M/T tires were procured separately. I understand from the vendor they were finally delivered not too long. The conflict delayed things a bit.

LC79 DC side.jpg
LC78 side.jpg
LC79 SC side.jpg

zelatore

Explorer
(sneaking in from the LR side of the forum)

I suspect this is exactly like the Defenders. Us LR guys (me included) cry and whine about wanting a D90 or D110, but in reality we don't really want one. We love the look and the romantic image of them, but have you actually driven one? The rough and tumble lifestyle is OK for a day or a week, but imagine putting tens of thousands of miles on it. Or just driving it from one side of the country to the other. Now maybe that LR4 (or 200 land cruiser - that's what we get here now right?) doesn't seem like such an awful thing after all.

Rover is preparing the next gen of Defenders and rumor has it we'll get them in the states. I'm personally hoping for something highly capable, simple(er), small(ish), and inexpensive(ish). But a little more refined/comfortable for highway use than the current D90. Basically I want a British Rubicon. I'm guessing you Toyota gents are probably looking for about the same thing, just with the doughboy emblem. Sound about right?

I've ranted my head off over on the LR side that if Jeep can sell $35-$45K Rubis like an all-you-can-eat cake buffet at a Jenny Craig convention, there should be plenty of room for an equally capable but with a bit more style/load capacity D90 or D110 at $50K. I'd guess we could substitute LC70 for D90 as well. Just add a few comforts for our market and bring them on over. The LC may not have much image here, but surely Toyota can figure out a way to capitalize on their exploits. Though showing ISIS rolling around in them might not be the best advertising.

Patrollife

Explorer
Like any 3/4 or 1 ton from the big three...for less money

Sure, in the US. But if you're overseas there are other factors to consider, such as: availability of parts, availability of qualified mechanics and services, dependability and profile in the bush. But, this thread is about making the 70 series available in the US, so back on topic....the 70 series hold their value incredibly well, much better than the Big Three. For me personally, I like the traditional, boxy look of the 70 series. They are not for everybody and they ride poor on pavement compared to the other options out there. But if the D/C were available in the US, I'd certainly want one. And this is the exact color and build that I'd go for....

79on31575r16-4_zps73a7ed7f.jpg
79on31575r16-6_zpsd91260c6.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven