Dark Canyon To Elephant Hill

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
No digital pics. :(

Awesome area. IIRC there were only a few routes that led between the two areas and a lot of more dead end tracks into the rocks, but the primary road is easily identifiable on most maps. All I can say is take some time and explore that area. It doesn't get the credit it's due because there's so much other cool stuff surrounding it.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Pics and stories here.....

....and here......

....and here

Dave Connors did a portion more of Dark Canyon and did a nice write up in Toyota Trails Nov. '05. His Utah Cruiser Expedition website with the full report and pics seems to be down. He said it was quite boggy at the bottom of Dark Canyon as I recall and they needed to winch a few times. This was after the rainy season in September.

Squeeze Play, the Silver Stairs and the Turntable (backing up the switchbacks) were memorable portions of this trail.
IMG_09055.jpg

Lead photo and attached photos by Darren.

End of this month...heh. We were actually toying with the same idea :)...when you thinking of going?

Since we didn't get to hike out to Druid Arch, we were tossing around the idea of going toward the end of this month as well. The route doesn't look that bad...also you don't have to go through Squeezeplay if you're coming from the South, the NPS is EXTREMELY reserved regarding designation of routes as "impassable" by 4WD, and the entire Elephant Hill trail has been "nerfed" as of a couple years ago--I only know this because the first time I was there, Silver Stairs really were like stairs...they've been paved, stacked and filled to the point they're more like "Silver Ramp". Coors Hill and Bud Hill are also very benign...just drive gently, slowy, methodically, pick a good line (walk it out if you must), have someone marshall for you, and above all keep a cool head. There's nothing really awful in Elephant Hill, but it's difficult enough to keep a guy on his toes, and close enough to civilization (and rental Jeeps) that a lot of generally inexperienced and mentally unprepared people venture out there...hence the names Coors Hill and Bud Hill. Keep a cool head and you'll drive out in one piece after a great experience and a ton of incredible photos. You can drive the Hill with a stock IFS truck/SUV with good skill and careful tire placement. Everything that was actually a "difficult" ledge last time I drove through has been turned in to a ramp, literally. If your vehicle is modified at all, at least with strong tires that can be aired down, personally I wouldn't think you'd have any trouble at all. Add trail armor and you can essentially drive through with relative abandon.

There are no difficult spots on the route between Bobby Jo campsite (where we turned around) and the Elephant Hill exit, and Turntable (the turnaround mid-climb at Elephant Hill) is actually quite benign...just drive backwards :).

Incidentally...I've also been up to the first pitch at Lockhart Basin's north end. It's the last three pictures from kcowyo's account, where the purple 4Runner looks like it's about to roll in to the slickrock wash bottom...it's just as bad as it looks. It was raining when we pulled up to that spot, and I chose to turn around rather than risk a loose, wet, offcamber climb with a truly wicked lean in the middle, the sort that looks like you'd be holding on by your sphincter. Lockhart Basin is regarded in the Wells book as the last trail a well-designed stock vehicle can negotiate without significant trouble/damage, and I'm pretty certain that spot at the north end is the "crux" of the trail, unless you guys (kcowyo & co) found something harder.

I'd like to do this route as well, provided I get the truck fixed in time :p.

-Sean

sinuhexavier

Explorer
Cool, yeah I'm familira with Elephant Hill and that whole loop that was ruined by the Park Service in my opinion. I did it for thye first time since 1996 last May and was totally surprised by the amount of cement layed down.

The unknowns for me are Bobbys Hole / Impossible Hill...

It seems to me the remoteness of the northern edge of Dark Canyon is the place to be.

sinuhexavier said:
The unknowns for me are Bobbys Hole / Impossible Hill...
Do you have a picture, geocoords, anything regarding Impossible Hill? I suspect like many things out there it's not Impossible, just Improbable ;) for the majority of stock 4x4s.
It seems to me the remoteness of the northern edge of Dark Canyon is the place to be.
I agree! I was reading not long ago about the Dark Canyon area, just miles of hiking and canyoneering out there, MTB, sights to see and things to do.

*edit* Just went and did some reading on Impossible Hill. It looks difficult, but not impossible. Also, SOB hill is a piece of cake. We drove through it a couple times getting to and from the hiking trailhead to Druid Arch (which we still need to make ;) ). I suspect Impossible Hill is easier than made out to be in some of the writeups I just read.

Also found this. Kinda takes the fun out of finding them, sorta.
http://www.utaharches.com/index.php?area=12&Arch_Name=C

Last edited:

Colorado Ron

Explorer
So whos all going? I was getting the itch just today to go to this very area. Surprised to find this post!lol. Id be interested!

sinuhexavier

Explorer
Colorado Ron said:
So whos all going? I was getting the itch just today to go to this very area. Surprised to find this post!lol. Id be interested!

I can only speak for myself, I will be there although it is a working trip.

Well...I just talked to Amado, we're kicking around the idea of doing some hiking/backpacking around there weekend of May 4-6...

*edit* I have a MLS NF topo here now...there are miles and miles of hiking and 4WD roads in and around Dark Canyon.

Last edited:

sinuhexavier

Explorer
Dark is one of only a few wilderness areas that have a vehicle rout through it. I believe it is a 100ft corridor through peavine canyon...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues