dark tan leather bouncy/suspension seats

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Hey guys, is it me or does the leather on these mitsubishi Gen II seats wear out pretty quickly??? I've owned one Gen II and know another owner with leather interior. Both of them seem to have the leather worn through and the foam seat padding broken down.

Is there any way to condition the leather so it lasts longer? I would hate to resort to cloth seat covers. What about the padding??? Any way to prevent it from breaking down???

1989 Dodge Raider 3.0L
1997 Mitsubishi Montero 3.5L

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Hey guys, is it me or does the leather on these mitsubishi Gen II seats wear out pretty quickly??? I've owned one Gen II and know another owner with leather interior. Both of them seem to have the leather worn through and the foam seat padding broken down.

Is there any way to condition the leather so it lasts longer? I would hate to resort to cloth seat covers. What about the padding??? Any way to prevent it from breaking down???

1989 Dodge Raider 3.0L
1997 Mitsubishi Montero 3.5L

Anything will wear out if not taken care of, a good leather cleaner and conditioner twice a year works wonders for leather seats. Most folks don't keep a vehicle long enough to worry about doing this though.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I can't believe you still have these, such a rare and truly awesome option. If i didn't already have 2 sets i'd buy them. It's really worth the work to install them, both times i removed the upholstery from the old suspension units and from the power heated seats in my late model Monteros then made the new old bouncy seats heated with late model upholstery. Worth it.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I can't believe you still have these, such a rare and truly awesome option. If i didn't already have 2 sets i'd buy them. It's really worth the work to install them, both times i removed the upholstery from the old suspension units and from the power heated seats in my late model Monteros then made the new old bouncy seats heated with late model upholstery. Worth it.

How hard was it to do this? Got me thinking about it if I keep them.

plh

Explorer
I hired an upholstery guy off craigslist. He did a great job stitching new hides on both the '92 and '93. $150 labor per seat and $300 for the "couch" in the back of the '93. I supplied the hides. (Ebay)

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader

I hired an upholstery guy off craigslist. He did a great job stitching new hides on both the '92 and '93. $150 labor per seat and $300 for the "couch" in the back of the '93. I supplied the hides. (Ebay)

Were they worth it?

Toasty

Were they worth it?

Yes, took me a few hours to swap the first set i did, the second set went much quicker using hog ring pliers and i found a trick using a deep socket 14mm i think on a long extension to compress and drive out the head rest retainers.

The main advantage having the suspension seat over the hard mount base is fatigue on long trips and while offroad, the seats make a huge difference no matter what your truck suspension is like. You should slap one in as is and take it out on a long wheeling trip and see for yourself.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Yes, took me a few hours to swap the first set i did, the second set went much quicker using hog ring pliers and i found a trick using a deep socket 14mm i think on a long extension to compress and drive out the head rest retainers.

The main advantage having the suspension seat over the hard mount base is fatigue on long trips and while offroad, the seats make a huge difference no matter what your truck suspension is like. You should slap one in as is and take it out on a long wheeling trip and see for yourself.

I love the seats in my 98 and don't want to screw anything up, plus I have gray interior, I'm on the fence I guess.

Toasty

Well just take a brown seat on an adventure and see how you like it before deciding to swap over all the upholstery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk

Members online