Deal or no Deal?

Jaynen

Adventurer
I am considering an 03 montero 20th anniv limited (xls with some extras?) 89k miles. Had timing belt/water pump 4 months ago. And comes with a set of 4 separate wheels and tires with studded snows 9800 bucks

Good?
Bad?
Ugly?

Seems like the relatively low mileage, timing belt, and extra set of wheels make this a pretty good deal?

Jaynen

Adventurer
Hmm not around here I guess. All the 3rd gens that don't have 180k on them are over 8k. Land Cruisers under 10k are 1999's with over 180k on them

fowldarr

Explorer
I have seen monteros with comparable mileage for almost half that. And they seem to be in very good condition. I almost went that route before buying my tundra, and then again before I bought my wife's sequoia.

Jaynen

Adventurer
I've seen monteros but not gen 3 2003+ with the 5 speed auto. Or is that what you mean?

I guess maybe I am valueing the recent timing belt (700-900bucks at a shop?) and the set of 4 other wheels and tires too highly

fowldarr

Explorer
There was a 2004 on the wyoming or east Idaho Craigslist with a little over 100k for $6000. I don't know if it has had the work done or the extra tires...but....
Might be worth a look.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
The timing belt kit is cheap, but paying for the work is not. Still, you could likely get that done at a small shop with a good reputation for $600-700 or so. The allow wheels are available online for $100 each or so. I've never felt the need for studded snows on the Montero. I have them on my minivan and the wife's Volvo, but that extra set would have no value for me.

There are indeed less expensive ones out there, but in the end you have to be happy and comfortable with your purchase. It's a great truck, and that one might be exactly the one for you. But since you're asking, I'd wait it out and enlarge my search area. I flew to Las Vegas ($39 on Allegiant) to pick up my '01 a few years ago.

But then I'm cheap! :sombrero:

Jaynen

Adventurer
hehe, I am North of Seattle as well where abouts are you from? I suppose better deals ARE out there but I have been looking for a month or so and this is the best cared for one I have seen in the area

fowldarr

Explorer
I wasn't trying to talk you out of it. They are nice rigs, and if it is the right one for you, buy it, post up some pics and find a dirt road.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
I suppose better deals ARE out there but I have been looking for a month or so and this is the best cared for one I have seen in the area

Again, it depends upon what's important to YOU.

When I buy a vehicle or motorcycle, I'm never in a hurry. Doing all the research and finding the best vehicle for the money is part of the enjoyment of it for me, and fly-n-drives can make it a bit of an adventure, too. YMMV.

Jaynen

Adventurer
I ended up buying it

2003 Montero Limited 20th anniversary, 89k miles. Immaculate exterior and paint, everything works great. No rust. Has some scratches on the rear seat from the guys dog but besides that mint.

Has a set of Michelin X Radial LT or something on it right now stock rims. Set of 4 almost new Cooper Discoverer M+S on some decent aluminum rims with studs. Really impressed with the drivability and build quality

The Viper

Adventurer
I ended up buying it

2003 Montero Limited 20th anniversary, 89k miles. Immaculate exterior and paint, everything works great. No rust. Has some scratches on the rear seat from the guys dog but besides that mint.

Has a set of Michelin X Radial LT or something on it right now stock rims. Set of 4 almost new Cooper Discoverer M+S on some decent aluminum rims with studs. Really impressed with the drivability and build quality

Regardless of how much you paid for it, one thing is for certain...Its going to be a great vehicle!

Jaynen

Adventurer
Yeah I can see why people love these so much. Has some upgraded shocks on it too but unsure of brand. Handles pretty well

magoh76

Adventurer
I ended up buying it

Awesome! Get some pics up in here!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger