Defender 110, The Ultimate Adventure Overlander Poptop - $40000 (Seattle)

squeezal

Funny reading this thread. Only one mention of wanting more detail of rust prone areas and a limited (in detail) reply from the seller. Most of these trucks are simply pigs in lipstick. Unless you can verify this rig spent it's life in southern France/Spain, the Arab countries, or southern Italy you have to assume rust. Some are better than others. Many many are simply cosmetically covered.

Without detailed pictures of door bottoms, footwells, bulkheads, and frame (particularly the towing yoke which is steel) one will never know. I would advise anyone interested to ask for those detailed pictures. I don't care how sexy the build is. The seller states "Its impossible for the body to rust" and this is absolutely false.

I have no stake in the game so I don't mean to offend. I simply have a lot of experience with these trucks and want to warn someone potentially dazzled by a cool pop-up! It is cool by the way.

Interestingly there are a lot of comments about RHD. I'm not sure if those comments come from people who have actually driven RHD as a daily driver but mainly it is an inconvenience in the US. Doable yes but there is a reason RHD typically sells for 7-12K less than LHD in the US.

GLWS!

klimb

Funny reading this thread. Only one mention of wanting more detail of rust prone areas and a limited (in detail) reply from the seller. Most of these trucks are simply pigs in lipstick. Unless you can verify this rig spent it's life in southern France/Spain, the Arab countries, or southern Italy you have to assume rust. Some are better than others. Many many are simply cosmetically covered.

Without detailed pictures of door bottoms, footwells, bulkheads, and frame (particularly the towing yoke which is steel) one will never know. I would advise anyone interested to ask for those detailed pictures. I don't care how sexy the build is. The seller states "Its impossible for the body to rust" and this is absolutely false.

I have no stake in the game so I don't mean to offend. I simply have a lot of experience with these trucks and want to warn someone potentially dazzled by a cool pop-up! It is cool by the way.

Interestingly there are a lot of comments about RHD. I'm not sure if those comments come from people who have actually driven RHD as a daily driver but mainly it is an inconvenience in the US. Doable yes but there is a reason RHD typically sells for 7-12K less than LHD in the US.

GLWS!

alright haters, the ad is back up https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/defender-110-the-ultimate/6485959553.html

The rig spent most of its life in a farm in Scotland, then all over PNW.

I'll say this again -- its impossible for aluminum body panels to rust. All of the bodywork/shell on defenders is aluminum. Stuff that can rust is made of steel: frame, bulkhead, inner door frames. When rusting steal comes in contact with aluminum, aluminum will start to oxidize. on defenders it happens at the bottoms of doors. not a big deal. I bought and built this truck for me -- obviously the frame is good and it runs ************* awesome thats why I bought a poptop for it (re: "pigs in lipstick").

klimb

I like it! Any chance it has seating for 4?
for sure -- there is a middle seat between a driver and passenger (which I've removed)
and cargo area can fit 10 people (5 on each side of bench seats) if you don't have sink/burner and fridge

with fridge/sink/burner it fits 4 people in cargo area

klimb

for sure -- there is a middle seat between a driver and passenger (which I've removed)
and cargo area can fit 10 people (5 on each side of bench seats) if you don't have sink/burner and fridge

with fridge/sink/burner it fits 4 people in cargo area

btw the 110's have most cargo/loading capacity of anything in its class (including 70 series troopy) due to being boxy and tall -- and with pop top + bed raised up, out of the way ... it feels like a tiny house.

Last edited:

SoyBoy

Does anyone have an idea if the pop-up conversions seal from water/dust 100%? Are there any accounts if the pop-up increases corrosion in the attachment area? (someone told me that over the years degradation of that area may occur)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kabobkabobkabob