Delica for a camper build

brad2274

Adventurer
Hitch receiver bike rack would be annoying because of it blocking the hatch, would have to remove bikes every time you access. id look into mounting them on front end or disassemble them and store inside.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Hitch receiver bike rack would be annoying because of it blocking the hatch, would have to remove bikes every time you access. id look into mounting them on front end or disassemble them and store inside.

There are swing-away hitch carriers. Or, take a page from the Vanagon guys and mount a rack directly to the hatch and swing the bikes up too. Makes the hatch heavy so you'll need extra struts and a mechanical lock to keep it open, but definitely an option depending on how often you're in/out of the hatch.

Sandy89

Storing them outside is definitely a possibility, but I would MUCH prefer to find a way to do it inside. especially because I think I could use the storage-under-bed platform to keep all my other gear, leaving the rest of the van free.

anyone know the interior dimensions? I thought I read awhile ago about 7ft from the hatch the the rear of the driver seat, no idea if thats correct. but my bikes about 3'9" long with no wheels, and 5'1 with a rear wheel. if 7ft is correct, that leaves me just 3 feet x the width of the van for a little kitchen area and whatever else. not much but I could maybe make that work, especially if I got creative with integrating stuff into the platform/storage area, and/or got creative with folding stuff.

Other option is to do a fiberglass high roof, and build storage more vertically.

If I can find the interior dimensions I think that will really tell me what I'll be able to do.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
...If I can find the interior dimensions I think that will really tell me what I'll be able to do.
Dimensions are in millimeters.
2.gif

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Print out the diagram, look up the overall length in the specifications and then scale the drawing to allow you to make the measurements - i.e. if it is 15 feet long and the length from the rear hatch is 50% then that would result in it being 7.5 feet.

brad2274

Adventurer

using this highly scientific 420 method, im guestimating 5 and 3/4 420's, or just under 8 of the kings feet (7' 11" is my guess) and thats not all the way to outside of the hatch, i was guessing its like 4 inches thick

Sandy89

Ahh thank you! if its around 7'11" at all that sounds pretty decent. I feel like I could make that work. after sleeping in sedans and wagons for so long thats a huge step up!

mapper

Explorer
FYI. for indoor bike storage in I've done the following (except behind driver's seat):

(sorry for lousy photo)
titus_wheel.jpg

You usually have to remove seat to fit it in Montero. Obviously depends on your platform height. In my astro I can fit two bikes like this (in partial series) behind Driver's seat so it doesn't obscure views while driving. I also have reflectix up on those windows which keeps prying eyes from seeing the bikes. That should work in Delica too. In the Astro I can sleep one inside with bikes easy...two people and two bikes is getting tight but manageable. We usually take the bikes out for sleeping. Great at camp, less ideal if trying to catch Zzzz's at a rest area or stealth camping. I always keep trays on the roof rack for times I need the bikes out of the way, but putting bikes on a van roof is kind of a pain.

If it is just a solo day trip I take the front tire off my bike and roll it into the van using the floor space I left open (no platform) between the platform and front seats. Nice and easy to roll in/out from the sliding door that way.

I don't have a picture like that but you can likely visualize.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
I'm assuming that you've checked out Pablo Rey's journeys with his wife, Anna, in their Delica. In case you haven't seen it, here is the page from their website that talks about their "La Cucaracha."

Sandy89

I'm assuming that you've checked out Pablo Rey's journeys with his wife, Anna, in their Delica. In case you haven't seen it, here is the page from their website that talks about their "La Cucaracha."

Had not seen that actually, thanks for the link!
from everything i've seen I think I can make this work, especially with a pop top. I'm only going to be on weekend, or week long trips, at most i'd be on the road for a month or so for work, staying in and out of hotels too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz