Desert Turtle - M1010 Build

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Well crap... Another unforeseen issue with moving the M1010 over to the Ram. The rear tire width is 3" wider than the outside of the box. I didn't think of this until a neighbor parked his newer Chevy truck behind the M1010 and I saw it was a fair bit wider. That prompted me to measure the Ram.

I think that likely killed the box move. I already had a few other questionable issues that I wasn't 100% sure would be solved. Guess I'll put the flatbed back on the Ram and use it to haul materials for the box build and then sell it. Wish I would have checked that before heading that direction. Oh well....
Have you thought about putting the M1010 box on the flatbed on the Ram?
You could design and build a flatbed to mount and then unmount the box so you would have the best of both worlds!

ExpoMike

Have you thought about putting the M1010 box on the flatbed on the Ram?
You could design and build a flatbed to mount and then unmount the box so you would have the best of both worlds!

If the GVWR was 10K on the Ram, that might be doable but with it at 8800 lbs. it was going to be close to weight (or over) once the box was moved and built out. Add the weight of a flat bed and it would be well over GVWR. The M1010 truck is rated for 9400 lbs. GVWR. Add to that, putting the box frame on top of a flat bed, it would raise the overall height by another 6" or so. I am already just over 9' and really don't want much higher than that.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
If the GVWR was 10K on the Ram, that might be doable but with it at 8800 lbs. it was going to be close to weight (or over) once the box was moved and built out. Add the weight of a flat bed and it would be well over GVWR. The M1010 truck is rated for 9400 lbs. GVWR. Add to that, putting the box frame on top of a flat bed, it would raise the overall height by another 6" or so. I am already just over 9' and really don't want much higher than that.
Well, maybe it would be easier to regear and repower the chevy to keep it somewhat OEM, it wouldn't be hard and OEM GM parts are easy to get and service!

ExpoMike

Got the rear sheet panel test fitted and did some more finish welding on the wall frame done. Pulled the rear doors off as well. Hoping next weekend will have the frame and sheet panel installed.

0313221047.jpg

0313221113_HDR.jpg

ExpoMike

Last couple weekends have been working to permanently installing the back wall frame and wall sheet. Drilled through the tubing so I could get my pneumatic rivet gun into the tube to rivet the wall to the box. I am using the same structural rivets I did for the roof raise. Also used Sikaflex 221 adhesive/sealant. The frame and sheet are not going anywhere. ;)

Got the door cutout and test fitted the Turn Overland Wildlands door. Fit perfectly. Still need to final install it but am going to do that after I spray the wall with some etching primer. Happy with how things are coming along and this should be the last of the major external mods to the box.

0318221411.jpg

0319221157_HDR.jpg

0326221332.jpg

0326221347.jpg

0326221451_HDR.jpg

0326221452.jpg

ExpoMike

I pulled these Hella Rallye 4000 lights off the Ram, when I removed the front guard off the truck to install the new headlights. I decided I wasn't putting it back on so the lights have been sitting on my garage floor. Tired of having to move them to get to things, I decided to just mount them onto the M1010. Ends up the Sheriff dept had cut out the cross bars in the two opening I put the lights in, so it made it easy to install. I will add the two cross bars above the lights, to help protect them.

0327221452_HDR.jpg

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
While it sucks to have a setback in the plan to swap the box over to the Dodge, I'm excited to see it moving forward on the CUCV.

ExpoMike

While it sucks to have a setback in the plan to swap the box over to the Dodge, I'm excited to see it moving forward on the CUCV.

Thanks! Yeah I had hoped the "easy button" with the Dodge swap but since that became much bigger issue than I wanted to deal with. Figured at this point just move forward on the CUCV and get this done. :)

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
Thanks! Yeah I had hoped the "easy button" with the Dodge swap but since that became much bigger issue than I wanted to deal with. Figured at this point just move forward on the CUCV and get this done. :)
I've slept a couple of times since you shifted gears on the project. Moving forward with a regear or regear with drivetrain swap to what you had already picked up?

I remember you had the 454 laying in wait but wanted to maintain mechanical simplicity by sticking with a carb.

ExpoMike

I've slept a couple of times since you shifted gears on the project. Moving forward with a regear or regear with drivetrain swap to what you had already picked up?

I remember you had the 454 laying in wait but wanted to maintain mechanical simplicity by sticking with a carb.

Not going to regear, wasn't ever part of my plan. Likely will do 454 swap (since I have it), carb at first (just to get it running) and then switch over to TBI system (which is about a simple of EFI you can get). Likely start with the current TH400/NP208/Gear Vendor setup but likely at some point change over to a 4L80E/NP241.

Biggest thing right now is I need to get the box interior built out so I can get all of the stuff out of the garage. Can't even think of an engine swap as I can't even get to it in my garage. LOL

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
Not going to regear, wasn't ever part of my plan. Likely will do 454 swap (since I have it), carb at first (just to get it running) and then switch over to TBI system (which is about a simple of EFI you can get). Likely start with the current TH400/NP208/Gear Vendor setup but likely at some point change over to a 4L80E/NP241.

Biggest thing right now is I need to get the box interior built out so I can get all of the stuff out of the garage. Can't even think of an engine swap as I can't even get to it in my garage. LOL
Man I understand getting stuff out of the garage before moving to the next stage. I've moved to Denver to help out my Dad and all my personal stuff is in the garage where I could be working on my K5 out of the weather. My buddies want to take another trip in a couple of months and I've got to swap out the transmission, replace a broken fuel level sensor, and deal with some other upgrades while I'm at it. One of which is ditching my front leaf springs for softer riding versions. I'm waiting out the weather, hoping for no more snow so I can get this done.

ExpoMike

Knocking off small things on a big list. Scuffed and etch primer the rear wall. Was hoping to get the door final installed with sealant but the weather didn't cooperate on Sunday. I ended up installing the six scene lights around the box, two rear and two on each side. Made a drilling template which sped up the process. I used Rivnuts so I can remove them if I ever needed to replace one. Had I used nuts on the inside, once the inner walls are up, I would not be able to access them. Lights are from SuperBrightLED.

Scuff and primed

0409221031_HDR.jpg

0409221046a_HDR.jpg

0409221117_HDR.jpg

Scene lights

0410221134.jpg

0410221127.jpg

0410221140.jpg

0410221213.jpg

ExpoMike

Minor progress. Adding L track to the top and bottom of the rear wall. This will allow me to build racks/mounts to hold items, like a set of steps I am modifying. This will allow me to change things easily if I need to and not worry about holes or old mounts in the rear wall. Installed Riv-Nuts and temporarily mounted the track. Will permanently install once I paint the wall.

Lots of Riv-Nuts installed

0425221727.jpg

L Track mounted

0425221735.jpg

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Minor progress. Adding L track to the top and bottom of the rear wall. This will allow me to build racks/mounts to hold items, like a set of steps I am modifying. This will allow me to change things easily if I need to and not worry about holes or old mounts in the rear wall. Installed Riv-Nuts and temporarily mounted the track. Will permanently install once I paint the wall.

Lots of Riv-Nuts installed

View attachment 719081

L Track mounted

View attachment 719082

Great idea!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3