Dexter vs Lippert Axle for M416

mrgeep

So I ordered a new axle for my M416 trailer today. Since I still have time to change the order before the axle is built I figured I would check for opinions on the axle brands they offered.

Axle is a 3500# that will match the track and bolt pattern on my JKU with electric brakes. They offered either a Dexter axle or a Lippert axle. I have heard of Dexter before, but can't find a whole lot on the Lippert brand. Obviously, having heard of Dexter Axles doesn't necessary make them a better brand than Lippert, but I feel that they are generally considered a reliable brand.

The only reason I picked the Lippert over the Dexter is the turnaround time. For Dexter they estimated at least 4 to 6 weeks and for Lippert it could be done in 3 to 4 weeks or less. I would love to have this thing installed before I go out on my next trip in early August so I can have the electric brakes, but I know it is not likely to happen. Has anybody had any experience with the Lippert axle? Should I accept that the axle will not be available in time for my trip and change to the Dexter axle instead or give the Lippert a shot? The cost difference is pretty minor ~$50 more for the Dexter.

Thoughts or other recommendations? I am open to other brands as well, I placed my order with Redneck Trailer as they have a shop fairly local to me that I can pick the axle up from.

My trailer runs a Lippert axle. No issues. It’s the axle that Carson trailers uses for all their trailers. I think they spec out the same as a dexter. Same bearings, same brake flanges etc. just different name.

The only thing I’m not sure of is if the dexter axle is cambered like the Lippert (assuming leaf springs)

andy29847

Adventurer
You have already ordered so my opinion isn't worth much, but...... Lippert suxs. I had a XLR toyhauler and everything on there that Lippert made was junk. I hope your experience is better than mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman

Members online