Diesel Comanche build

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
Here is a pic of the wheel/tire combo i would like to use, with newer style MT/R's and this one being my spare.

View attachment 121879

The diesel install is looking great! Just an FYI on the rims, a lot of the TJ,YJ,XJ steel wheels are 15x7 but these particular ones are 15x6, which is less than ideal if you plan to use a 10.50 wide tire (it can be done but has its disadvantages). I only say this because I bought a set of 5 for my xj before I realized it and was less than pleased at the time!

Last edited:

Gaucho919

Adventurer
These rims are actually 15x6 IIRC but I like them for some reason, and they take the 10.5" tire nicely.

One motor mount bracket done, 3 to go. I'm using F150 with the 300 six "biscuit" hydraulic motor mounts

DSC_1124.jpg

DSC_1125.jpg

88Xj

Banned
You could use Shackle bushings or the small eye leaf bushings:) Seen that done a few times before! Don't do poly lol..not with a diesel:p

Coming along nicely

Gaucho919

Adventurer
Passenger side almost done, I gotta fill in a small square tomorrow. Too tired to deal with it right now.

DSC_1128.jpg

DSC_1129.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_1126.jpg
    DSC_1126.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 24

Gaucho919

Adventurer
Taking some shape, rear spring over done, 4.0 radiator installed, RE 4.5 coils installed.

Flatbed getting started
DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

Still waiting on drop pitman arm, clutch line and a few other things.

reece146

Automotive Artist
Do you have anything in mind to control axle wrap or just going to leave it to see if it is even an issue?

I keep waffling back and forth between spring over and custom leaf packs for the back of my MJ.

Gaucho919

Adventurer
I have had a spring over on my '92 MJ since I started driving it a bit over a year ago, not an issue whatsoever in my book. I even towed a 3500 lb trailer with a load in the truck too from FL to MT with no issues. It does wrap a bit when taking off from a dead stop, I had a friend watching for me, but not enough to be of concern.

DSC_0587.jpg

reece146

Automotive Artist
Good data point. I have a 5000lb trailer I want to tow. It's just so much easier to spring over maybe that is the approach to take and deal with the outcome.

Gaucho919

Adventurer
Finally got the Jeep together enough to roll outside and let the engine run for a little while. Still have lots of work to do but the engine swap is 99% done. Here is a short video. Got a bit trigger happy.

So all in all, how difficult was the swap? Did you find yourself having to make a bunch of compromises, or was it fairly straight forward once you laid everything out? I can't wait to see more of this one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater