Diesel Electric 4x4 Mahindra unveiled

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Note the name at the bottom of the next picture. FEV is in the business of developing power trains for the OE's.

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's a photo of the Scorpio SUV with hybrid engine at the SAE show (Or at least a Scorpio with a car-show paint job and the word "hybrid" on the side)

scorpiohybrid.jpg

The Scorpio is very close to the size of the Land Cruiser 60/62, and the 2.2L diesel has a similar power output to the 4.0L 6 cylinder gas engine in the TLC 60. The Scorpio is a couple of inches taller. Mahindra, please strip off all the cladding!

Chip Haven

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
I'm waiting to see when and what Mahindra brings over next year. I have been using my Defender 130 as my DD and would like something a little more economical that 10mpg. The Mahindra crewcab has some potential.

jcbrandon

Explorer
kellymoe said:
...I have been using my Defender 130 as my DD and would like something a little more economical that 10mpg.

What motor? What GVW? What payload? I'm very curious and doing a comparison to my truck.

Gurkha

Adventurer
As an ex owner of Mahindra Scorpio and Tata Safari, I can tell you that these vehicles are just meant to satisfy mass market Indian public whose general level of awareness is quite low regarding true off road capable vehicles. These vehicles have horrid suspension, weak drive train components, poor clearance and suspension travel leading to nightmare off road. They are also unreliable with myriads of issues and if taken off road regularly as you do to your Toyotas and I to my Gurkha, they just would break into pieces. Their engines aren't anything to talk about, they are all electronic affair and ECU and other parts frequently break down, the engines itself have no more life than 100,000 miles that too optimistically speaking. The interior tacky plastic trim starts showing its true colors within months of ownership and in few years they start disintegrating. My Safari had engine problems within months of ownership with high oil consumption, gear box had to be worked on and then the axles developed play, this Safari was mostly used on road as it truly sucked off road. Same goes for my brief stint with Scorpio.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3