diesel in jerry cans?

rovingowl

Observer
sorry for the ignorance but i was wondering if regular red jerry cans can be used for diesel? i was thinking that they should be the same as the yellow cans unless there is a difference in the gasket. is it safe to use a can for diesel that previously held gas?

Last edited:

rovingowl

Observer
not really worried about being questioned. and i would paint them or label them appropriately when carrying diesel. i just wasn't sure about using them for diesel after gasoline or if the gasket on the gas can was different from the diesel can. i thought i read the sceptor cans had different gasket for diesel and gas, and didn't know if wedco was the same.

turbochabot

I switch back and forth and have used my red wedco cans many times for diesel during extended trips and have yet to have a problem so you should be good to go.

lowenbrau

Explorer
I used to run cheapo red cans with diesel in them and two eventually leaked (the can itself, on the bottom) I carried them on my roof and could always tell they were leaking because the diesel would screw up my wipers. I lived in Vancouver where the rig was always wet anyway. I never had a yellow one leak.

I don't know for sure, but I think the red plastic cans are incompatible with long term diesel storage.

brut4s

Adventurer
THE FUELS ARE NOT COMPATIBLE! The gas will change the flashpoint in Diesel and your truck will not run.If you use the gas cans for Diesel clean it out very good and mark the cans. I would by the yellows my self so ther is no confusion.

rovingowl

Observer
brut4s- i'm completely aware that the fuels are not compatible. what method would you recommend for cleaning the cans before using for diesel.

my current set-up is gas, but in the future would like to get a diesel. i was checking for future reference that it is possible to use the red cans for diesel. i of course would repaint them at that point.

THE FUELS ARE NOT COMPATIBLE! The gas will change the flashpoint in Diesel and your truck will not run.If you use the gas cans for Diesel clean it out very good and mark the cans. I would by the yellows my self so ther is no confusion.

Actually a small amount of gasoline(<10%) will have no effect on a diesel except lowering the flash point of the fuel which is a consideration in an accident but not for the running of the motor. I ran ~30% gasoline in a Hercules direct injection mechanical fuel pump diesel when I got a load of summer fuel in the winter and it ran fine except it wouldn't idle fast enough.
Mercedes actually published formulae for mixing gasoline with diesel in the winter for their older mechanical engines. Maybe not a great idea for modern electronic super high injection pressure engines. But I will categorically state that a small amount (like the residual you'd end up with after emptying a jerrycan) of gasoline in diesel fuel will not affect the engine in any way.

Charlie

HINO SG

Adventurer
Actually a small amount of gasoline(<10%) will have no effect on a diesel except lowering the flash point of the fuel which is a consideration in an accident but not for the running of the motor.
Mercedes actually published formulae for mixing gasoline with diesel in the winter for their older mechanical engines. Maybe not a great idea for modern electronic super high injection pressure engines. But I will categorically state that a small amount (like the residual you'd end up with after emptying a jerrycan) of gasoline in diesel fuel will not affect the engine in any way.

The owner's manual for the 1970's-era MB cars specified that up to 30% gasoline could be used to prevent gelling in cold temperatures, believe it or not.
I'd agree that up to 10% gas in a mechanical injection motor should be a non-issue. I'd be surprised if newer motors are that sensitive but I don't have any experience in the matter.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
The only worry I would have would be the long term effects on the gaskets. Gasoline and diesel will often require a different gasket material, for examle Scepter MFC's use regular rubber for the diesel, viton for the gasoline. Using one for the other can cause damage to the cans cap flange and potential leaking. Cheap, easy fix, even if you had to do it between uses. My preference would be better safe than sorry and buy the right cans for the right fluid, permantely labeled.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Kurt, I meant to post in the other thread about this. Viton is widely used in diesel applications too. My guess is it is cheaper or might not have long term durability (like years and years) but many people search out viton specifically for use in diesels.

rovingowl

Observer
my understanding was that the wedco cans used the same gasket material for both diesel and gas cans. i'll probably pick up some spare gaskets to have on hand anyway.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Kurt, I meant to post in the other thread about this. Viton is widely used in diesel applications too. My guess is it is cheaper or might not have long term durability (like years and years) but many people search out viton specifically for use in diesels.

my understanding was that the wedco cans used the same gasket material for both diesel and gas cans. i'll probably pick up some spare gaskets to have on hand anyway.

Interesting and your both absolutely right. I just pulled out a materials handbook I have and sure enough Viton makes a good gasket for both liquids, not 100% ideal for both but seemingly 99%. Interesting Scepter would do two separate gaskets when one does the trick?

A good read on Viton from the manufacture:
http://www.dupontelastomers.com/Applications/Automotive/emissions.asp

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Viton is really popular with the biodiesel crowd as well as older diesels with natural rubber lines swell and degrade. But you honestly don't need it, most later artificial rubbers are just fine as well. Not sure about gasoline compatibility though..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy