Diesel Jerry cans

• Thread starter Deleted member 215671
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 215671

If this is in the wrong section could an admin or someone move it or let me know where and i'll move accordingly.

I guess its been a long time since I needed to carry extra fuel but im noticing that scepter plastic jerry cans only ship in Canada nowadays? I would prefer to not use metal as we see -25-100 degrees and for example it was 40 degrees yesterday, 60s last month and we got 4 in of snow two days ago lol.

I have looked at some options for diesel and have narrowed it down to these options unless someone has found the sweet spot???

A.Buy one or two 4.5gal fuel pax and use them for diesel. (my other gas toys will never need a spare fuel can and I have some two gallon spare for the side by side and lawn tools already) but man are they $$$$

B. I am in North Idaho maybe an hour from Canada so any folks willing to let me pay them for say two of the scepter plastic 5 gal jerry cans and when this is over I can make a trip north for a beer/lunch?

C. Anyone see a simpler solution for diesel specifically?

I have only needed extra fuel once but I plan on some more off the grip type trips when this situation all calms down and didn't know scepter didn't ship to the USA. Im not opposed to metal cans completely but have not had good luck as they just don't get used/filled often enough to keep them clean. I love to travel but the fact is I can't go as often anymore so just trying to avoid buying junk. I learned early one with quality items and I use the "buy once, cry once" for certain items that just need good quality.

I have various ways of storing safely and ease of access so the size/shape isn't a huge factor

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Bills

Explorer
Three ideas come to mind:

Wavian
Yellow_20Liter_Can_550x825.jpg

https://wavianusa.com/pages/nato-diesel-jerry-can

Rotopax
image_10.png

https://rotopax.com/2-gallon-diesel.html

Scepter
41D716_AS02

https://www.grainger.com/product/55...90957!!!g!82166780397!?cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA

It appears that Wavain diesel cans may be out of stock, also Sceptre. Perhaps the situation with one or both will change after the pandemic.

jgaz

Adventurer
Not sure what size your border crossing town is but if they have a Princess Auto the store may have the cans in stock or be able to order them in for you.

I purchased several about 5 years ago by crossing from Detroit to Windsor and buying them myself.

jgaz

Adventurer
I am completely satisfied with my scepter cans when I lived in Michigan. Not as happy when I moved to Phoenix.

With the super hot summer temps I always needed a wrench to open my cans that were stored in the shed. I also needed a wrench when I went from the valley up to Flagstaff to my buddies cabin.

I found that my Wavian cans opened just fine no matter the temps. Just open them a bit slower than normal.
YMMV

Last edited:
Yep, X2 million on the Sceptors and I think I have a reminder somewhere on the fuel cap mod that is worth every penny. Turns the plastic seal into a machines aluminum over rubber seal and that really helps in hot weather a ton. Not to mention, the Scepter fuel cap wrench is a good piece of kit for $10.

Buy once and never look back.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
How about an extended range tank? You can fill up at frequently used stations for clean fuel and you're ready for the Zombie Eclipse.

D

Deleted member 215671

Thanks for all the replies.

the extended on board isnt a practical option for my trucks configuration. Titan tank, transfer flow and the special spare tire tank are all $1000 plus but appreciate the mention as they are all top quality.

canadas border is closed unless I have an“essential” reason and I’ve no blood relatives north of our boarder lol.

but yes Waivian is top too but I was nervous about the metal tanks being they just won’t be used super often but I’m ocd enough to fill/empty often to probably avoid issues.

ill look for a princess auto too though. Their name sounded familiar. I also have a pm to send thanks to you guys too.

I don’t like the 2gal diesel rotopax as it won’t do my setup much good for the price per gallon storage. But the 4-4.5 gal out of their blemished stock is good. I have two of their two gallon water pax’s that I LOVE LOL.

D

Deleted member 215671

Woowee that’s some $$$ Basically double the price but will ship in the US lol... I sent a pm and the nearest princess auto is way out of the way. I may reach out and get at least one depending how things work out. I swore I heard of sites selling them and labeling them as a utility container but customs may have caught on and stopped it.

the rotopax 4 gal from the blemished is less than $87 and they offer a military/veteran discount but I’m gonna see where the PM to a member here goes and try to wait it out before I give up hahaha.

Here is another option; I used these for years in my off-road ATV/UTV days. I still have two in the garage for emergency use. Since you said that size or shape doesn't matter, I would definitely use these. Pick a color, mine or white but technically the law says you can't fuel unless its red for street use but never had an issue, not even in Communist Cali.

VP Cans

D

Deleted member 215671

Thanks for the link. I may hopefully have a lead on a couple of scepter cans from a forum member pending more info. I have used the VP cans a few times for the side by side and it appears I had the same issue a few others had with the seems/joints/mold marks (not sure what they really are) cracking but hopefully I can work out a fair deal with the person im talking to now. If not I'll probably have to order from the Jagmte or given in and get a metal wavian lol. Nothing against them just have to deal with rust in our area they spray the deicing fluid here. Random note woolwax (formerly fluid film) is an amazing preserver for vehicles against rust. My current 1999 is arguably 99% rust free because of it. you spray it on real good once a twice a year for the first two years then touch up every spring again. very affordable, doesn't dry, non corrosive etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger