Diesel Vanagon

I'm about as deep into Vanagon/T3 diesel as one can get. I've owned almost every variation. To correct one thing I read earlier - the diesel T3 was actually built the entire run from 1981-1991. Sales were dismal in the US so they were not imported after 1983. I've replaced dead 1.6NAs in diesel Westies for customers, and yes dangerously slow for today's crazy roads and especially hills - but pleasing ok on back roads and just slowly tooling around. One of my current rigs is a 1990 Syncro-16" highroof with the original stock 1.6TD, a blazing 70hp and just under 100ft-lbs torque. Slow on hills, but cruises just fine along the back roads at 60-65, just keep stirring the gearbox. I have a custom fully-mechanical TDI with VNT turbo I'm setting up to transplant in, netting almost 3x the torque. The other, more complete rig I drive weekly is a well-loaded 1987 Syncro Westy with 30" tires and tall gears, also mechanical TDI, running about 220ft-lbs torque. Just a blast to drive, goes up most mountains at 70mph fully loaded with roof box and kayak on top. I know my way around the old 1.6TDs fairly well also, and from past experience in modding the 1.9TDs know what things will pull out about 50% more power from the 1.6TD if you stick with that. I also supply new long block kits as a swap-in (1.6 to 1.9) or complete new 1.9 engines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven