differences between 4d34 and 4d33

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
Hi guys i have a 96 fg637 dual cab with the 4d33 4.2l there seems to be an endless number of import turbo kits for the 4d34 3.9l but none for the 4d33 are the engines completely different or just a bore out. Thanks o gurus.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi

There are turbo kits available for the 637. The 649 "kits" that you would have seen would have upgrade or replacement turbo's for the OEM turbo. Give me a call if you can't find one ....... I might know a couple of places that still them.

Cool username by the way!!!

Last edited:

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
Cheers the user name is a hangover from my first 4x4.a yellow hilux (the model top gear couldn't kill).

I have had priced turbos from turbo glide and a mob here in sa($7000) which i thought was a bit steep i've fitted turbos before the issue i see is getting the manifolds as as i understand. The 4.2 never came with factory turbo.

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

$7k!!!!! ...........Should be less than (or approx.) half that price for everything (not inc. fitting) . I'd shop around.

Last edited:

blackduck

Explorer
7K for a turbo
if your going to spend dollars GO BIG

chevdieselengine1.jpg

will cost a tad more than 7K but you could put the "CHEV 6.5" decals on the bottom of your doors
how cool would that be :victory:

Aussie Iron

Explorer
The price I got only a couple of weeks ago was $5,500 fully fitted including 3 inch exhaust from Superior Turbos in Toowoomba. This was for a 4D33. I couldn't find any one that could supply a kit. Dan.

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

The price I got only a couple of weeks ago was $5,500 fully fitted including 3 inch exhaust from Superior Turbos in Toowoomba. This was for a 4D33. I couldn't find any one that could supply a kit. Dan.

That's about what we used to pay them 10 years ago , so still pretty good value I reckon.

Wonder how much the DIY kits from Turbo Glide were that Tonkatuff looked at? That's what a friend of mine bought not so long back.

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
Just spoke with turbo glide $2600 for kit with all oil bits and pics on cd on how to fit apparently the crew cabs are a pain as you can't run your air line over the rocker cover this sounds.better

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
Cheers blackduck but i get into enough trouble with 4.2l

It sounds like a big job. But my thoughts are that by the sounds there is a lot of fabricating involves so i might as well source a manifold and make it up myself but where are they getting the exhaust manifolds?

whatcharterboat

They designed their own manifolds and had them cast up I believe. The ones they probably have for sale now must be old stock......they were all the go back when the 637's were current. I would be certain that you could just buy a new manifold from one of those guys if you wanted to do most of the work. Surely they would be happy to get rid of the manifolds.

Last edited:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I believe that this, or a similar eBay link, has been suggested in another thread.
I think it was Alan that noted that this manifold design does not have a wastegate port.

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
140km/hr they are hair raising enough at 100 on our roads

Would be great to find who still has these manifolds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77