Dilemma FZJ80 or FJ55

evilfij

Explorer
File a complaint against the drunk. Not sure of Colorado laws, but you could get a judgment against him easy here. Then levy any assets he has.

55 is awesome, but driving something that old is hard.

AndrewP

Explorer
Owning multiple Cruisers is a good thing (I hope!)

But if you can only own 1, then selling the 55 and getting a decent 80 would be the move. Move any parts you need over from the wreck and sell what's left. An 80 can do everything. And it's good at almost everything. The 55 is a stylish iconic piece of hardware but you are not going very far in it. If you can own 2, then 55/80 combo is an excellent one. I might buy a better 80 at this point, but if you like it, fix what you have. There is no better truck to drive 1000 miles, and then wheel a difficult trail before driving 1000 miles home. You'll find it's a way better adventure vehicle than the FJ55, not because there is anything wrong with an FJ55, but all the weak spots like brakes, steering, suspension, power and comfort are addressed in an 80.

If you can add another to the stable, FJ60/62s are great. Old school vibe, but decent brakes, power steering, airconditioning, and relatively quiet compared to an FJ55. The FJ62 even gets you fuel injection which is a huge plus. Of my 4, the FJ62 is my favorite. Good luck with your decision. My vote, sell both for a lower mile 80.

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
You know my opinion, but if you're really planning on DD the 55 then no, sell it. Hate to see it get eaten up with road salt. 55s are a great adventure wagon, anybody can have an 80 ( sorry guys ) 55s stock aren't too good for long distances, but if set up like mine, they can go anywhere and with some individualism. I have a hard time telling the difference between an 80 and Pathfinder, Exterra, etc. Never got into the newer vehicles. Good luck with your decision, it's a tough one.

Boss Hog

Observer
File a complaint against the drunk. Not sure of Colorado laws, but you could get a judgment against him easy here. Then levy any assets he has.

I'm working with my insurance on this one. My gut tells me he wasn't driving his own car. But that won't matter.

Boss Hog

Observer
I escaped Boca Raton yesterday and am in Atlanta, Ga. I really appreciate everyone's comments! It's given me a lot to think about. Hope to make it to Redline today to pickup the 80 parts.
In the meantime, I'm all over the place on what to do. Man, I love driving the 55. It took me all over Colorado in high style. I daily drove my old one for a year. But daily driving it, as Ron stated, killed it.

Keep the comments coming!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3