Disco 1 Front shocks

Wilson1730

Observer
My Disco 1 is fitted with Terrafirma medium load springs and their remote reservoir shocks. I purchased the rig with them already on so I don't know where they purchased the Terrafirma kit. I haven't been too hard on them, a hand full of camping trips and a few off roading days. Recently the passenger side front shock blew out. I have looked and looked for someone who sells the remote reservoir shocks and have been unsuccessful. My plan now is to replace both front shocks.

I was originally planning to go with the Terrafirma non-reservoir shocks but have come to find out that there isn't much out there on how good they are and the little i've found says the shocks are just OK. And I was not impressed when the shock blew out so easily.

I am thinking about measuring the ride height and ordering some Bilstein shocks for the front.

My question is;

Will this work for my discovery having the Bilstein in front and the Terrafirma in the rear? Or should I buy all new shocks?

Thanks for your help.

Ray_G

Explorer
My experience with Terrafirma shocks is that they are horrible. I would suggest you follow your plan of Bilsteins up front, or Fox, or OME-depending on application. OME seems to have fallen off a little in quality but they still be superior to TF and last a lot longer. Replacing the rear's can happen later unless you want to do all four at the same time, or you want to get rid of the TF's which will eventually crap out. In terms of matching shocks, they don't necessarily have to match (I have Bilstein 7100's up front and Fox's in the back and the truck rides great).
r-
Ray

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
I've been using Bilstieins up front on my D2. This is the second vehicle they have been on . i think they are 5 years old now. still work great.

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
My Disco 1 is fitted with Terrafirma medium load springs and their remote reservoir shocks. I purchased the rig with them already on so I don't know where they purchased the Terrafirma kit. I haven't been too hard on them, a hand full of camping trips and a few off roading days. Recently the passenger side front shock blew out. I have looked and looked for someone who sells the remote reservoir shocks and have been unsuccessful. My plan now is to replace both front shocks.

I was originally planning to go with the Terrafirma non-reservoir shocks but have come to find out that there isn't much out there on how good they are and the little i've found says the shocks are just OK. And I was not impressed when the shock blew out so easily.

I am thinking about measuring the ride height and ordering some Bilstein shocks for the front.

My question is;

Will this work for my discovery having the Bilstein in front and the Terrafirma in the rear? Or should I buy all new shocks?

Thanks for your help.

Can i get a picture of this shock please. We only sold a hand full of the RR Terrafirma shocks and this would be an odd shock to see on a 2in lift.

Wilson1730

Observer

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    561.8 KB · Views: 16

Wilson1730

Observer
New Shocks

I finally was able to source a pair of shocks from GBR Utah that would fit my Terra Firma 3" springs. Below are photos of the new shocks and the old ones with the serial number. The new shocks are from OME and fit the ride height from the Terra Firma springs. The difference in the ride is amazing. Thanks for all of your help.

Attachments

• OME Shocks.jpg
    OME Shocks.jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 12
  • TFSerialNumber.jpg
    TFSerialNumber.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 13
  • TFShocks.jpg
    TFShocks.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 13

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
I finally was able to source a pair of shocks from GBR Utah that would fit my Terra Firma 3" springs. Below are photos of the new shocks and the old ones with the serial number. The new shocks are from OME and fit the ride height from the Terra Firma springs. The difference in the ride is amazing. Thanks for all of your help.

Those shocks that you have in the picture require nitrogen. If they were not filled or over filled with nitrogen the ride quality would very as you would expect. My guess would be somebody just installed them and never installed the nitrogen. Perhaps they originally purchased the shocks from a vendor that doesn't know what they are or how they work.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Pretty obvious that at least one of those shocks is completely blown out. Oil residue all over the shock body.

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
Pretty obvious that at least one of those shocks is completely blown out. Oil residue all over the shock body.

Agreed.

Just trying to understand why it failed. The shock could be crap or could it have been over inflated with nitrogen who knows what causing the seals blowout. This would also make the ride quality horrible. I know this happened on one set that we sold to a customer he wanted the truck to handle like a racecar in the short term it did. The long term the shocks failed.

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
I know you love to praise Terrafirma but I think most people are starting to notice a trend with the quality.

Some of the TF stuff is good and some is bad. Thats why I am asking questions instead of passing immediate judgment. It's better to have a working knowledge of the product then to write everything off.

The damaged shock is a plus 2in shock. Did the truck have extended bump stops? Was it using the stock towers?
The most common damage I see to shocks is when they are fully compressed. The old man emu shocks are stock length and are not normally susceptible to this type of damage. That would give the impression of them being a better shock in this situation. On the downside they do not allow for any farther articulation overstock.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Some of the TF stuff is good and some is bad.

Justin I have been looking at buying some TF suspension parts for a project but this statement is concerning. Could you help me understand which stuff of theirs is bad so i can avoid it?

I know everyone can have a personal opinion about different brands but considering you are a TF vendor and have experience with all of their parts I would value some guidance on what TF stuff not to buy.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Getting ready to order a kit today - going to go with all OME stuff to avoid any pitfalls from bad TF stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven