Disco reliable daily driver?

grox

Observer
I just sold my 04 Tacoma and I'm looking for something under $5,000 to drive as a daily driver, occasional camping trips, grocery getter, Home Depots runs, etc.

For under 5K it seems like you get a whole lot of truck with an older Disco. Just wondering why? Reliable? Labor expensive? Parts expensive? I'm a pretty good home mechanic, can I fix most things myself?

Any advice on what year to buy or look out for?

Thanks in advance.

DexGtr

Observer
i use mine as daily driver...the only complaint is the gas mileage...but overall fun truck to drive around town.

most people just suggest getting on top of maintenance to save you the headaches.

Viggen

Just here...
i use mine as daily driver...the only complaint is the gas mileage...but overall fun truck to drive around town.

most people just suggest getting on top of maintenance to save you the headaches.

I daily mine and have spent every weekend for a few weeks now underneath it catching up on POs neglected PM. They live and die by the schedule. Keep up with preventative maintenance and youll be fine. I get about 12mpg, which sucks, but I love it so I dont care.

DexGtr

Observer
I daily mine and have spent every weekend for a few weeks now underneath it catching up on POs neglected PM. They live and die by the schedule. Keep up with preventative maintenance and youll be fine. I get about 12mpg, which sucks, but I love it so I dont care.

when i got mine the carfax report showed the PO was pretty good at keeping with the sched (he even replace front driveshaft)...so now i'm just trying to do whatever i can also.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader

What?! 12mpg? That's what I get towing my big ************* trailer through the hills with a 17 foot canoe on the roof and one blown O2 sensor causing it to run rich.

Viggen

Just here...
What?! 12mpg? That's what I get towing my big ************* trailer through the hills with a 17 foot canoe on the roof and one blown O2 sensor causing it to run rich.

Look at my truck in sig... Shes a pig. I bounce between 10 and 12.

If the truck isnt rusty, build from there.

DexGtr

Observer
i have a friend with an Armada and we now joke about the mpg in our trucks...when people ask what's our mpg...

it's 0-12. :sombrero:

DexGtr

Observer
ow i forgot to add people look at you different when driving a LR....most people don't know that what you're driving is old and cheap already....they still think "you ballin'" :smiley_drive:

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
12mpg is pretty bad. I get 15 with the big tires and far better(18ish) with the stock 28s. Then again I don't have a lead foot in the disco, coast a lot and am smart about the way I drive.

I often get criticized for driving like a granny in the disco and driving let I want to die in the race cars.

-Sam

S

Street Wolf

According to my ScangaugeII I get around 9--10avg. mpg. :Wow1:

Errant

Explorer
I've been using my '98 as a DD for the last 6 years or so. Most repairs have been things I can do myself, and don't seem to be anything more than what I've had to do with other vehicles.

TheStig

Observer
I was wondering this myself. My wife is looking at a nice 4x4 not as our primary off road vehicle, but as a daily driver that we can also lend to relatives or friends to go on trips with us. I really love the older Discos and wouldn't mind overmaintaining one.

Sent from my MB200 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater