Discovery I rear built in storage

ColoDisco

Explorer
I am planning a 2 drawer setup that still allows the back seat. I am removing the jump seats and the trim on the sides. What I am looking for is pictures. I need ideas on how to tackle this and the best options.

I want to store recovery gear in one drawer and kitchen kit in the other, while hopefully using one quarter panel area for a water tank and the other for easy access storage. On top of the drawers a fridge /freezer and space for pelican cases for dry food storage. Getting close to my goal of a overland rig but need way better organization.

ColoDisco

Explorer
Brandon, that looks a bit flimsy to me, just because the weight in the tubs lies directly on the weakest section of the shelf. There should be a support under the middle of the gear being stored. With the drawer option you box in the sections.

Ray, I like your setup. Looks way more stable. We took out the 40% side of the rear seat last trip as well. While it was nice it left one of our 2 dogs in my sons lap while we were driving. I want to try and fit everything behind the seat. Plan on adding the cage behind the seat and wire grid over the back window to attach more gear.

This guy has some good ideas.

The set up in that video is pretty slick.

I love the diamond plate cargo door panel and self, with marching platings on the bumper!

I'd pay money if he would re-record that vid without the wind ;-)

Ray_G

Explorer
Brad-
That is a nice setup that guy's got going on!

I removed the 40 at the moment mostly in prep for the VOT in Aug; with just me and the wife doing that I wanted it to be setup so a passenger could access the fridge on the move. Also illustrative that the Disco is a perfect overlanding vehicle...for 2. When I do it with 4 (no dogs...but the other three are all women...) I start facing similar challenges to you.

My first couple of Discos had jump seats on both sides (this one has rear A/C, which I'm retaining b/c it VA heat it does a great job of cooling off the truck faster...tradeoffs). On the old trucks I removed the plastic trim entirely and made a much tighter panel out of diamond plate (painted tan) with accompanying tie downs on the sills of the side windows. I found that a 5 gal scepter can fit perfectly in the space on one side, and the power tank + did well on the other. As you can see on my current application I retained the CO2 and H2O is now mostly out of either the cooler/fridge, bladders on the roof (for washing up) and a couple of 1 gal rotopax that are in the very back of the shelf near the seats in that unused awkward space.

I am thinking of going with a tilting fridge setup if I go to an application where it stays in the truck but in the cargo area.

The dog guard comes in handy for just being able to toss soft goods in on top 'less secured', adding in grid to the side windows would give even more storage-I've found that MOLLE pouches woven through the grid work well but I'm also addicted to coyote brown and have plenty laying around as a side effect from work.

Doing the rear door in diamond plate is an easy job and the add on of a table gives some good flexibility.

Adding in an 'attic' of sorts is something I've contemplated but the rear a/c duct would make it difficult to access. I think it would have more benefit on a non-ac Disco.

Post up pics as you go, always interesting to see how people tailor their Discos to their application and usage.
r-
Ray

ColoDisco

Explorer
Ray, I am impressed with your ideas, thought about a attic of sorts myself, possibly with a mesh cargo net so it can be removed. I did this in my pop up camper over the bunk ends. I have also been entertaining the Springtail solutions back door setup. I believe the jeep one will fit my door, just not sure that it will fit with the drawer setup.

I am interested in the dog guard. Shoot me more info on PM!

Ray_G

Explorer
Brad-
I can check the measurements for the springtail setup I have as it relates to intrusion into the rear cargo area-I want to say it's about ~5" but since it's soft I have no issues with clearance pressing up against the peli's under the shelf. A drawer may have to be set back about the same but I think it would work. Does make for a cleaner look, I was glad I switched over from the little basket setup that is in the earlier pics.

Mesh cargo net attic would be pretty sweet I think.

If you can get JRose's genuine dog guard, that's the way to go I think-I did an aftermarket generic (Remington) b/c I'd already moved so much around in the back I figured I'd try it and it's ok but not nearly as elegant as the factory solution.

r-
Ray

ColoDisco

Explorer
I PM'd for the dog guard. Definitely want that. Measurements would be great! Which panel did you get? Pics would be great too. Which drop down shelf do you get?

Ray_G

Explorer
Brad-
So the panel is the FJ side rack: http://www.springtailsolutions.com/shop/fj-cruiser/heavy-duty-hd-side-rack/
The shelf setup is a fold up tray from Pit Posse: http://pitposse.com/floutwotr16.html

Bags on the springtail setup are ~5 1/2" uncompressed, as you can see when the door closes they compress a little. The first aid kit is almost exclusively trauma stuff (a secondary first aid kit that is more comprehensive for routine stuff is on the driver's side cargo area sill overtop the A/C). With the shelf/peli you have to watch how much you stuff them otherwise the door won't close properly. Some pics:
image.jpg
image_1.jpg
image_2.jpg
photo.jpg

fishEH

Explorer
Ray, can you provide some details on this shelf? What materials were used and its construction? I have a crudely made shelf and it has served me well but it save in the middle and is like to make a new one similar to yours.
Thanks

attachment-3_zpsd5b9900d.jpg

Last edited:

Ray_G

Explorer
Ray, can you provide some details on this shelf? What materials were used and its construction? I have a crudely made shelf and it has served me well but it save in the middle and is like to make a new one similar to yours.
Thanks

Brett-
That shelf was my version 1.0 in my last truck; it was basically angle bolted to plywood. The angle had cross braces on the sides as well as the interior (up close to the back seats) to give it more structural stability. The plywood was fairly thick...at least 1/2" and maybe a little thicker. Angle was painted with the standard Krylon flat tan camo paint that I pretty much use wherever to blend it with the truck; the ply was sealed and then covered with marine grade tan carpet. Compared to my current iteration it was simpler, cheaper, and effective. I switched because I wanted to shift over to the pelican cases for tools/recovery gear that I'm running now. I also found the carpet got worn down after usage so the rubber diamond plate mat I use now seems to hold up better.
r-
Ray

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
There are three Discovery setups that I really like depending on what you need the vehicle to be, and whether or not you need a back seat. Something to consider is how flexible the space needs to be. For example, the cargo space in Scott Brady's Discovery is not particularly flexible, but the gear he travels with is pretty well defined and doesn't change much from trip to trip. I'm a big fan of the setup in the original Pangaea Expeditions Discovery with the combination of drawers and cases as it keeps everything organized, but allows a good deal of flexibility. The most important part IMO is a dog guard as it allows you to stack high without cases flying around and gives you more space to mount things like shovels. There are a lot of photos of fold out door tables and I think they are well worth having.

If you are going to put a refrigerator in the back, Scott's system of refrigerator on one side and drawers on the other is more user friendly than mounting a refrigerator on top of drawers. The guys from High Trail Expeditions have a great system in their D1 and I think they can cram more gear into the back of it than anyone else. The good news is that it is extremely organized -- probably the most organized cargo layout I have ever seen, the bad news is it also is very inflexible. I haven't seen that truck in probably a year, but I could tell you exactly where the med kit is even now. However, the passenger personal gear space is intended to hold a small duffel and there is no chance of fitting a similar size Pelican case instead.

Bottom line is you need to figure out your priorities, and how important flexibility is, and they will dictate a cargo space layout. It's a pretty small space and there just aren't that many ways to use it.

Disco1Drawers.jpg

ColoDisco

Explorer
Thanks for the info Ray! I really like your setup.

Bill I have been mulling over several setups. Possibly a 2 drawer setup or after watching this drifta video a vertical setup.

I have tossed in the idea of using pelican 1560 cases and building slots vertically to secure them into with 2 integrated pullout shelves. 1 under the future fridge freezer and 1 under the pelican cases. I like how drifta turned the slide outs into remove able tables but not sure they could be very long given the short distance between the back door and the future dog guard.

I am going to search out the Pangea disco.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater