DIY Expedition Vehicle Build VIDEO

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Serious question -
Where are owners taking these big US built rigs off road that require these types of builds?

Serious question, why does it matter if it makes him happy?

Personally, I get 5 weeks off a year and usually hit the road, this year I spent most of it in BC and a little in Alaska.

Next one, I might actually transition into living in it

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Serious question, why does it matter if it makes him happy?

Personally, I get 5 weeks off a year and usually hit the road, this year I spent most of it in BC and a little in Alaska.

Next one, I might actually transition into living in it

The question was general not "him".

These big 4wd vehicles all claims off road ability. During my ~100 days a year of travel I never see one anywhere a traditional motorhome cant go. I see lot of them at EXPO and parking lots of National Parks and never a scatch so where are they going off road?

UHAULER

Explorer
Serious question -
Where are owners taking these big US built rigs off road that require these types of builds?
I think the same thing when I see those huge 15 ton trucks from Europe in the U.S. camped at a Walmart. They can't go anywhere offroad. On the other extreme there are tons of "expo" rigs with 40" tires, snorkel, mattrax, gas cans hanging off the side and they camp at a campground. To me there are a lot of rigs that seem silly. We all judge other rigs but in the end it is their life and they can do what they want.

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
I'm running one of the smallest FWC campers they've ever made and I can't see me taking mine out for more than a couple of weeks at a time. But I can see if a guy, his girl and a dog are going to full time it needing to have more of the "comforts of home" than I have. Yes it's 3 times the size of mine. He won't be following me on some of the trails I take mine over by the reason of the size of his truck alone. But he's not just going out to go wheeling. It's basecamp for all his other activities. Camping out at a Ski Resort or on a beach in Mexico might require the need for 4wd to get there.

In this hobby there are more posers than not. That's a proven fact. I've got half the gear of some of those guys and sure surprised the hell out of them when my old squarebody rumbles up to the same spot they are in. I find it funny some go nuts on the gear and never actually use it. But if that's what somebody wants to do with their money who am I to question it.

AndrewMuse

Episode 5 of the MUSEROAMER Project is LIVE! I ended up breaking my leg snowboarding a few days ago so I'll be posting weekly from here on out. Please share this around!

D

Deleted member 12023

Serious question -
LCP I’m curious about this as well. I’ve seen a ton of these giants lately. My truck is small compared to this and I’ve had to back up some switchbacks to make turns here in Baja. Scary ********

akhummer

Serious question -

That’s actually a very good question. Additionally, I would ask where can you “legally” off road one of these rigs. Someone mentioned National Parks. Most NPs, at least in Alaska, have strict rules about off road use on its lands. Alaska and most of the Arctic have very fragile environments and leaving tracks to heal is a decades long process. I travel the Dalton Hwy. on a routine basis and see many built expedition rigs. Most camped along the roadside at a gravel pull-out, pipeline access roads, or in the campground near Coldfoot. For those of you who have the Dalton Hwy. on your bucket list, you don’t need a built rig to to do it. Many two wheel drive vans and tour bus travel the road on a daily basis. The longest stretch between gas stations is 250 miles so extra fuel is not even needed in most cases. Just make sure your vehicle is in good mechanical condition or have the financial needs for a expensive tow bill. I’d say just DO IT and don’t miss out because you don’t think you have the right rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal