DIY Firestarters

TheDave

A large piece of wax paper, rolled, then lightly twisted does the trick for me when used with the teepee method.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
We were camping out by Barstow once and I watched a group of drunken flat bills pile up a crap-ton of fire logs, douse it in gasoline and toss a match on it. After the blaze died down, they still didn't have a fire.

Since neanderthals mastered the use of fire, I guess that shows how de-evolved flat-bills are!

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
We were camping out by Barstow once and I watched a group of drunken flat bills pile up a crap-ton of fire logs, douse it in gasoline and toss a match on it. After the blaze died down, they still didn't have a fire.

I arranged some kindling in our fire pit ala the "teepee" method, put a fire starter under it (I use egg cartons/lint/wax) and in less than 10 minutes we had a nice big campfire going.
Never really got the douse with flammables crowd. But I'll bet with just paper and kindling you would get the same result as a starter. Our 6 year old gets the fire ready now, paper, kindling, & logs. When he's ready to light it he get me or his mother. He's a little more expensive to maintain than wax & lint though.

b63215b

Adventurer
My fire starters burn (the ones you saw I the beginning of the thread) burn hot and high, roughly 8-9inches for around 10-15 minutes. Enough to get damp wood going. Why fire starters, easier and guaranteed. I have been camping enough and soaked from rain that a warm fire does wonders for moral and drying clothes.

NCLR015

Adventurer
When it's dry getting a fire going is easy. With wet weather and wet wood I find an old fashioned road flare works wonders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

big sky trapper

Adventurer

metal match aka firesteel and some really fine shaving works for me, even in the rain, PJCB's as an absolute no bs back up every time.

dvsjw

Observer
Wife has been making these for years, I think she got the idea from girl scout leaders training almost 20 years ago. I provide her oak shavings from a surface planer. The oak seems to work best and the planer makes a great size chip for lighting and soaking up wax. She buys blocks of wax from the hobby store when they go on sale. She purchased an old second hand metal coffee pot that is solely used for this. I set her up in a large open concrete drive outside and she will make about 5 years worth at a time.

They are mostly waterproof, store easy and will almost always work to get kindling going. Not a guarantee, but much easier and safer cleaner than my old redneck way of putting the whole camp at risk of injury. We bring a few along with us on all outings.

Yes, she is awesome, and these work well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz