DIY Lizard Skin

Lunchbox2

Explorer
Has anybody tried the DIY lizardskin? It's basically microballoons mixed into latex house paint, or elastomeric roof coating, then sprayed-on with an undercoating gun. People really seem to be having good luck with it, so I'm going to give it a go. Just curious if anybody in here has tried it.....

ohpyramids

Adventurer
Read about that but results didnt seem conclusive. I plan to go raptor liner and plywood.

Maybe get an ir heat gun and take some before & after heat measurements?

Lunchbox2

Explorer
Read about that but results didnt seem conclusive. I plan to go raptor liner and plywood.

Maybe get an ir heat gun and take some before & after heat measurements?

Raptor liner was what I was going to do, but then I discovered the microballoons and paint mix. It's waaaaaay cheaper.... It's going to take a little more research, but I'm leaning towards giving it a try....

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Maybe I'm confused but aren't raptor liner and lizard skin (or diy) totally different things?
Raptor is just a brand of bedliner meant to protect sheet metal whereas lizard skin is meant as a sound deadener/insulator?

Seems hard to compare the two, obviously latex paint with balloons in it is not going to protect the body like a bedliner material would. And vice versa a bedliner won't have the thermal and sound insulation properties.

Lunchbox2

Explorer
Maybe I'm confused but aren't raptor liner and lizard skin (or diy) totally different things?
Raptor is just a brand of bedliner meant to protect sheet metal whereas lizard skin is meant as a sound deadener/insulator?

Seems hard to compare the two, obviously latex paint with balloons in it is not going to protect the body like a bedliner material would. And vice versa a bedliner won't have the thermal and sound insulation properties.

No, you're not confused, that's correct... lol The raptor liner works more like a sound deadener than an insulator. I was just trying to get rid of the "tin can" feeling my van gives me. I was going to spray the bedliner over the interior sheet metal, then insulate over the top of it. With the DIY lizard skin product, it does a little of both (sound deadener AND insulation) and it's waaaaaay cheaper. I'll still use the pink foam insulation over the top of the DIY lizard skin.

Last edited:

ohpyramids

Adventurer
Cool man definitely interested in your recipe and results. I will be needing to insulate a shipping container before the van. Thats a huge surface to cover with expensive insulation material.

For the van- Raptor liner claimed to affect a bit of heat and sound, but since im fixing a rusty floor, im more concerned with condensation and durability.

Insulating paint probably wont be as effective as actual insulation or a radiant barrier like reflectix. But if its cheap to spray- sounds like its worth a shot.

Pardon the pun.

Lucky j

Explorer
When you say micro ballons, do you mean the micro spheres? The very light stuff that is also sometime mixe with fiber glass resin?

mojogoat

Observer
I mixed up, and applied several coats to the undercharge of my van. I used a water based polyurethane. Don't mix too much in as the stuff will fall off and the beads won't settle close to each other, about the consistency of gear lube. Use multiple coats if brushing. Clear is the most efficient as it is the least conductive since it does not have any coloring agents to conduct heat as white and black does.

Lunchbox2

Explorer
I mixed up, and applied several coats to the undercharge of my van. I used a water based polyurethane. Don't mix too much in as the stuff will fall off and the beads won't settle close to each other, about the consistency of gear lube. Use multiple coats if brushing. Clear is the most efficient as it is the least conductive since it does not have any coloring agents to conduct heat as white and black does.

I'm going to pick up a harbor freight undercoating gun and see how that works. Thanks for the real-world tip!

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I bought the generic Hytec stuff which has the ceramic micro-spheres in latex...
done 2 rigs and loved it
I can really tell a difference, used that stuff, then FatMat, then reflextic alum bubble wrap. Brutal Arizona heat not a problem

Navi

Adventurer
I've done a lot of research on this but haven't tried it yet. It seems the best place to buy the spheres is rc plane hobby stores. I read the best results from people that used cheap latex paint. Mix by hand not by drill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL