DIY Lizard Skin

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Most places that sell good epoxy sells the microspheres as well.

It is used to make "thickened" epoxy

mojogoat

Observer
There's a difference between the microspheres used in paint as a thickener and the hollow ones used for insulating.

Lunchbox2

Explorer
I bought the generic Hytec stuff which has the ceramic micro-spheres in latex...
done 2 rigs and loved it
I can really tell a difference, used that stuff, then FatMat, then reflextic alum bubble wrap. Brutal Arizona heat not a problem

That's the exact stuff I have been looking at. The 12 gallon mix for $125 is what I'm going to order, I got a lot of real estate to cover... lol

Last edited:

Lunchbox2

Explorer
Link for the Hytech ceramic microspheres http://www.hytechsales.com/insulating_paint_additives.html

Not sure that an 0.125" layer (or less) will actually do much, but it's got to be better than nothing.

The inside of my van looks like crap, so I have to coat it or paint it with something anyway. If I can spray this, and it will act as a sound deadener AND insulation, it will work better than the bedliner I was going to use, and much cheaper. I will still put insulation over the top of this at some point (reflectix/pink board/plastic), so this will just be the first layer. I've always had big bangin stereos in my vehicles, and I can't STAND rattles, so this will control that as well...

Lunchbox2

Explorer
I guess it's worth mentioning.... I have a lot more time than I do money. When it comes to building things I really pinch pennies in certain places, so I can spend it where it counts, like the axles, tranny, wheels/tires, winch, bumpers, etc.... I'm always looking for the DIY method if one applies. I'll go to Lowes and buy some Latex paint off the discount shelf for cheap, and just deal with the color. I can probably do the interior of my van for less than $200, where anything else would cost upwards of $1000 or more (Lizard Skin).

MotoDave

Explorer
Just my opinion, but I think what makes LizardSking Sound Control work is that you're adding a bunch of mass to the panel - the stuff is a heavier than normal paint. Adding the microsphere beads to latex paint will make it lighter (for a given volume), but should add thermal insulating properties.

I'll be curious how your experiment works out.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
For me the Hytec was for thermal....
I used a spray gun and contact glue (upholstry type stuff) over the rough latex to help my FatMat stick..that gave me sound dampening
Then the alum bubble wrap from Home Depot went on with another coat of the contact glue.

All that has held on great to the roof, the inside of the doors and everywhere else over a few years of summer heat, brutal washboard and everything else.

Makes a huge difference.

Lunchbox2

Explorer
I still have 2-3 weeks before I get the ol' van up on her feet. I should be able to start getting the axles mounted up in the next week or so. I'll start on the interior and body once it'll move under it's own power....Thanks for all the input!

Last edited:

_hein_

Observer
Have you guys heard of 3M Thinsulate? Honestly, all this mixing, spraying, (or painting) and multiple layers of stuff sounds like a mess and a lot of work. A regular van can be insulated with Thinsulate(TM) for about $350 in material. There is no need for anything else. Thinsulate(TM) is engineered for vehicles, easy to install and completely safe. PM me for a sample.

Lunchbox2

Explorer

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
It's Lizard Skin.

I sold the van BTW (it was just too much work for me) and I'm waiting to pick up a road ready model later on when I have plenty of time. But I still love looking at builds and gathering inspiration and ideas for later on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL