DIY Modular Flatbed That Looks Stock

connor.clark

Hello - here's the flatbed that I built a few years ago. I wanted to have something that could convert from a flatbed to something that looked like a stock bed. I wanted to match the curves of the stock bed and have the same shaped wheel well.
My design had removable bedsides with storage containers, as well as a 6 foot removable drawer. The flatbed allows for nearly double the square footage of a standard bed because of the width restrictions on the wheel wells. Also having the ability to use a side entrance opened up a lot more possibilities for floor layouts.

I put this project on hold as I'm getting ready to build a house, but I will pick it up again in the future. My plan is to build a hard sided flatbed pop-up camper, and removable upper bedsides, with a tailgate as well.

Hope you like it!

connor.clark

Great craftsmanship and it really flows well with the truck body. Any idea on total weight?
Thanks!
The total weight came out to 579lbs. The stock bed weighs 387lbs, so an additional 192lbs, but I was willing to go a bit heavier on the flatbed because of how much additional storage it provided, and the ability to have a side entry camper.

If I were to do it again, I would probably sheet the bed with 1/8" aluminum and VHB tape. Also I would consider building the bedsides out of fiberglass, but I'm not sure if it would save any weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater