DIY POPTOP IN CHEVY EXPRESS AWD

tahoevan

Maybe a few things but not really, the Vanagon pop top fits great. I have a two piece bed up top with one of the pieces being about 4 feet and the other about 2 feet. I would probably do 3 pieces instead (each around 2") so you can store more of it out of the way when its popped up. Other than that, its pretty sweet. Call me if you need anything: 530-318-6609
Derek

tahoevan

Hey, the tent is OEM Vanagon Westphalia from Gowesty. My top was off an 84 Westy so I just ordered that year canvas-
Derek

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
This is a great idea! Could you post the length of the pop top? And do you have any photos of the mold you made or photos of the front of the top as you glassed it?

pfreeman

Observer
Derek - This thing is awesome! I am in Auburn as well, and will be sure to keep an eye out for your van on the way up to the ski hill! -Patrick

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Derek,
Can I ask how you attached the hinges to the roof of your van? Did you place a backer on the underside of the roof? Maybe weld something in?

Thanks
Danny

surfvan73

Looks amazing Dan. Great work. I Found a westfalia top to buy for my 2004 express but I'm a little nervous to take the plunge. I'd love to take a look if you're still in Auburn. (I'm in Oakland) Curious how you figured out where to cut, how long it took etc.
best
Steven

45Kevin

Adventurer
Every time I'm at the Pick'n'pull I look for a Westy. They are like hen's teeth.
I'd love to do this mod.

Roamin' Chariot

I'm not sure if this is where I'm supposed to answer you or not Steve ... but how could be offended if we hijack a thread that was inactive for 4 years? If this isn't proper etiquette, I apologize.

Short answer on leaks is my top is sealed up very well. Unfortunately, I am not as efficient and through as the rest of this expedition portal crew and do not have a build thread so show for it. However, I can say that I did my installation quite a bit differently than the one shown in this thread. Three major differences with my install compared to this one are a) I retained the front fixed portion of the Vanagon top (lots of modification required), b) fit the movable portion to the top to the fore-aft contour of the GM van (Vanagon's are flat), and finally c) added an additional seal across the forward edge of the movable top that contacts the original van roof.

Here's my reasons for each;
a) The fixed front portion of the Vanagon top does an excellent job of deflection the 70 mph wind up and over the top. This I believe reduces the opportunity for rain or air to be forced under the forward edge of the top under the seal (photo 1).
b) The standard uncut Vanagon top fits surprisingly well for-aft in it's uncut form, particularly if you push the top farther back on the top of the GM van (which is what it looks like was done in this thread). The reason I didn't like the mounting the top rearward is the opening in the roof also has to move backwards and you end up with the stand up opening too far behind the front seats to be as useful as I wanted it too be. Once you commit to moving the top forward, the flat bottom of the uncut Vanagon top cause the front of the top to ride up off the surface of the van ... making sealing it up near impossible. To fix this I scribed the contour of the GM van roof on the Vanagon top and got out my saber saw. Fits very nice and tight now (photo 2).
c) I did several tests with the wife driving up I-5 at 70mph and me running around with a mirror and flashlight to see where all the leaking wind noise/lack of contact was on the movable top seal. What I learned was the aerodynamic forces are signifiant on the front of the movable top and the outside front corners can actually lift enough to allow leakage under the parameter seal. To help this situation, I put a stiffener across the front of the movable top that not only stiffened the front but provided a location for an additional seal on the front bottom edge of the movable top (photo3).

Ok, way too much info ... probably could have stopped after the first sentence. I spend 25 years as an engineer working on door sealing of class 8 trucks and I know too much about what makes automotive environmental seals leak!

Attachments

• FrontTop.JPG
    FrontTop.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 96
  • TopFit.jpg
    TopFit.jpg
    506.5 KB · Views: 98
  • FrontSeal.jpg
    FrontSeal.jpg
    597.7 KB · Views: 98

Roaddude

Long time off-grid vanlife adventurist
I'm not sure if this is where I'm supposed to answer you or not Steve ... but how could be offended if we hijack a thread that was inactive for 4 years? If this isn't proper etiquette, I apologize.

Short answer on leaks is my top is sealed up very well. Unfortunately, I am not as efficient and through as the rest of this expedition portal crew and do not have a build thread so show for it. However, I can say that I did my installation quite a bit differently than the one shown in this thread. Three major differences with my install compared to this one are a) I retained the front fixed portion of the Vanagon top (lots of modification required), b) fit the movable portion to the top to the fore-aft contour of the GM van (Vanagon's are flat), and finally c) added an additional seal across the forward edge of the movable top that contacts the original van roof.

Here's my reasons for each;
a) The fixed front portion of the Vanagon top does an excellent job of deflection the 70 mph wind up and over the top. This I believe reduces the opportunity for rain or air to be forced under the forward edge of the top under the seal (photo 1).
b) The standard uncut Vanagon top fits surprisingly well for-aft in it's uncut form, particularly if you push the top farther back on the top of the GM van (which is what it looks like was done in this thread). The reason I didn't like the mounting the top rearward is the opening in the roof also has to move backwards and you end up with the stand up opening too far behind the front seats to be as useful as I wanted it too be. Once you commit to moving the top forward, the flat bottom of the uncut Vanagon top cause the front of the top to ride up off the surface of the van ... making sealing it up near impossible. To fix this I scribed the contour of the GM van roof on the Vanagon top and got out my saber saw. Fits very nice and tight now (photo 2).
c) I did several tests with the wife driving up I-5 at 70mph and me running around with a mirror and flashlight to see where all the leaking wind noise/lack of contact was on the movable top seal. What I learned was the aerodynamic forces are signifiant on the front of the movable top and the outside front corners can actually lift enough to allow leakage under the parameter seal. To help this situation, I put a stiffener across the front of the movable top that not only stiffened the front but provided a location for an additional seal on the front bottom edge of the movable top (photo3).

Ok, way too much info ... probably could have stopped after the first sentence. I spend 25 years as an engineer working on door sealing of class 8 trucks and I know too much about what makes automotive environmental seals leak!

Not way too much info at all! Clever fixes, and your experience as an engineer working on door sealing and environmental seals shows. I'd love to hear more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh