Do you feel the need to have a weapon when camping

Status
Not open for further replies.

doug720

Expedition Leader
I posted this on the KRFF site and thought it relates here also.

Note: I held off posting this for a few weeks, waiting to see if the Rangers found anything out. So far no reply from them, so I thought people who visit the general area should know about what happened.

Last month I headed up to a fairly remote area of the Kern Plateau for some small water fly fishing, just me and our 3 dogs. The place I go is surprisingly remote and each time I visit I'm amazed we can drive there. To get to this area you travel about 20+ miles on dirt roads. How remote is it, well for the last 17 miles of dirt road, I did not see another person, in fact, I did not see anyone until very early Sunday morning.

When we arrived, it was perfect, warm sun, a little windy, but the location is one the best in the Sierra's. I spent the next days hiking, exploring and fishing for native trout, catching dozens and releasing them for next time. Life was good. On Saturday, I went to make dinner and could not find the oil? It was there earlier, so I started looking around and noticed a few other things were missing, salt and pepper, can goods, etc...******? Remember, this is way out there and I have seen no one for 3 days. No tire tracks on the roads since the last storm, but mine! Plus, all these items are in a metal box with spring clamps.

Huh! Well, someone took them while I was out and about. They must have needed these items pretty bad to "Borrow" them without asking or even a note. I was never gone for more than a couple of hours, but... There were also other things that could be borrowed that were more valuable, so maybe they were just hungry?

Well, the dogs and I had a nice meal (minus salt and pepper!), had a cocktail or two and enjoyed a clear 8000' star filled night. I slept on the roof rack and dogs in the back of my FJ60. It was pretty darn cold, all the water froze each night, so we were all were tucked in pretty tight. Slept like a baby...Until!

Sometime before sun up, I hear the dogs go off! Thinking it's an animal, I fumble for my light. As I'm doing this, I hear a click! I know that sound, it's the magnet I use to keep my fishing poles from falling over. A horseshoe shaped magnet stuck to the side of my LandCrusher. I find the light and shine it down.... I see a guy standing there like a dear in the headlights with my fly rod in his hand! Remember we have seen no one for 3 days and nearly 20 miles! I yell, he drops the rod and he takes off into the tree's!

It was dark, and I was just woken up, but I could see enough of the guy to make out he was pretty scruffy looking and was not carrying any kind of pack. I assumed he must be camped around somewhere close to be out at around 5AM! At that point I'm awake, so I get up and start to think about what's just happened and then missing food comes to mind! I kept my pistol close and let the hounds have a look about while I sort things out.

As the sun comes up, it's about 30 degree's, so I make some tea and try to decide what to do. The dogs did not chase anyone, I had yelled get the f&^^$ out of here before I get my gun at the guy, it had been a couple of hours, so I decided to just pack it in, instead of fishing as planned. Packing and the drive out were uneventful, except in my mind.

I stopped by the Sequoia Ranger station and reported what had happened that morning. At first the office staff listened to my story and looked surprised, saying they had never heard of something like this happening. They told me the LE Ranger was on the other side of the mountain, but they would let him know and for me to call back the next day.

When I called, I told the LE Ranger what happened and how I thought someone may be living back there, then the ranger started to speak and there was a pause. He went on how he did not want to sound alarmist, but that what it sounded like to him was pot growers! It turns out they having a problem with growers in the forest, and sometimes, the guys working the plants run out of food, or their resupply people don't show up, so they visit camps! WOW! I had heard about growers in the forest, but it appear to be more common than I knew about.

The ranger told me they would go up there and check it out the next day and asked for detailed location of my camp. He was familiar with the area and knew the exact location.

I don't know if I will ever know the outcome from the rangers looking around, but it does make you think! I have been to this spot many times, and on this trip I drove and hiked around and saw no one. Where I was, no cell phones, no rangers, no help, just me, 3 dogs and pistol...makes you think!

Doug

LACamper

Adventurer
I'm with the bring it and hope you don't need it crowd.

We were backpacking in S Mississippi and came upon a few guys that had escaped from a juvenile detention center at Camp Shelby with nothing but shorts and t-shirts. They stopped and 'talked' to us trying to shift around behind us, looking at our gear, etc. Two of the four of us were armed. They finally moved on. A few hours later we made camp. I was glad to have the firearms that night!

At home if you want to be anti-gun that's fine. Police are always no more than 20 minutes from my house, and nothing bad can happen in just 20 minutes if someone decides to kick in your door, right? 20 miles into the woods response times are going to be so much better. If you can get a cell signal. If they can find you (I'm right here by the oak tree! next to the tree with a knot that looks like Abe Lincoln!). It shouldn't take them more than 5 or 6 hours to find your body...
Seriously, when you go out into the woods you're responsible for your own safety, even more so than at home. If you get hurt then someone is going to have to come get you. Its not right to expect that of others unnecessarily.

0uTkAsT

Gun Toting Gearhead
It's not even about guns really. To my wife, peace of mind means as much as actual safety - and I think most people probably have that same way of thinking. Problem is, peace of mind can and does lead to a false sense of security, and sometimes carelessness. To me, it's actual safety that brings peace of mind. You can never be absolutely certain of anything, but you can take reasonable precautions to significantly better your odds.

I won't go anywhere, especially with my wife or daughter, unless I am reasonably certain that I am prepared to protect them from likely threats, whether we're talking driving through town to a see movie or going out in the wilderness for a hike. I'm not just talking about having a gun or a knife or a cell phone with me. It comes down to situational awareness, having the right stuff at the right time, and not taking unnecessary risks... In town that means keeping seatbelts on, having my daughter in a quality car seat, keeping a well stocked first aid kit in an accessible location, carrying a concealed handgun, watching who and what is going on around us, etc. When we're off-roading in the desert it means having plenty of water, sunscreen, a snakebite kit, adequate recovery gear, etc. In bear and mountain lion country it means listening to your surroundings, controlling food odors, having a fast handling and sufficiently powerful rifle ready, etc.

So to me, guns are as much a tool as sunscreen and a quality car seat. Just as you endanger yourself by not keeping properly hydrated outdoors or not wearing a seatbelt while driving, not keeping a firearm that you're proficient with puts you at greater risk of becoming a victim during incidents that are unlikely but entirely possible.

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
I've had mixed reactions in the backcountry. Never had a physical altercation with anyone or have been threatened by an animal. I have however, had a few very uncomfortable encounters when someone has come over to check out one of the few Scouts that I've owned- especially the one with the pop-up camper. I'm Filipino and, although I was born and raised in the USA, have felt the, “What are you doing around these parts?” vibe- even in California. My friendliness and my jibber-jabber about wishing I had a T-19 wide range transmission, and Dana 300 with the 4:1 low range, usually mitigated the uncomfortable situation. Tech talk, a personable demeanor, and the fact that I'm 6'2” definitely helped. That being said, I usually carry a Colt 1911 that was given to me by my father.

I went exploring solo recently on the 50- mile Jawbone trail (unplanned side trip after visiting FRP for a Flippac warranty issue) and camped unarmed. After passing quite a few vehicles in OHV area, I only encountered 1 person for the next 45 miles. I left my firearm and dog at home with my wife (and two small children), which I thought would keep her safer. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I kept that Flippac hand- crank clutched most of the time outside the camper at night. I'll definitely bring the firearm next time, especially when it comes to protecting my family and exploring more remote locations.

After almost 20 years of gun ownership, I've only pointed that thing at empty beer cans and broken appliances (at my buddy's property). Although I will hopefully never use it for self-defense, I feel much more prepared having it, knowing how to use it, and knowing when to use it.

Last edited:

Kiwi-Yank

Adventurer
i camped for over 20 years with no firearm. never had a problem.
that included campsites in Africa with large dangerous animals. no problems.
i've got nothing against guns, and no problem if people want them around.
but by no means are they a necessary item. your brain is always your best weapon.

cheers,
K-Y

MojaveKJ

Adventurer
Always. It's just a different mindset. It think it kind it kind of boils down to have it and not need it (like all emergency gear) or need it and not have it.

I have carried a field splint for over 15 years and happily have never needed to use it. I have carried a multi-meter in my toolbox for 20 years and never needed that either. :) <knock wood>

In almost 27 years of camping as an adult I have never gone out without a gun, and I have never had to use it for any reason, thank God. I've had some weird encounters camping alone, too. But if I need to use it on my very next trip, and all those after, it will be there and I will use it where necessary.

Happy Camping!!

SGTCap

Adventurer
Unless I'm at work I always have a Glock 19 on me and there is always a .22 rifle in my truck. If I'm going into the woods or on a road trip I'll augment that with an AR-15. I'm more concerned with 2legged predators than 4. The number of marijuana grow operations and meth labs in parks is on a steady increase, not to mention robbers, rapists and murderers. I think its foolish to consider yourself safe while unarmed in our society
I know I'm in the minority there though.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Unless I'm at work I always have a Glock 19 on me and there is always a .22 rifle in my truck. If I'm going into the woods or on a road trip I'll augment that with an AR-15. I'm more concerned with 2legged predators than 4. The number of marijuana grow operations and meth labs in parks is on a steady increase, not to mention robbers, rapists and murderers. I think its foolish to consider yourself safe while unarmed in our society
I know I'm in the minority there though.

Me too. I would rather have a weapon and not need it than to have someone attack my family and not have the weapon.

J

JWP58

Yes. I feel the need to carry a firearm no matter where I go....including camping.

Arktikos

Explorer
No, but I have seen "Deliverance". Guns are for hunting-period- in my opinion. Now if I was camping in inner city LA perhaps my attitude would change.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I've camped most of the Northern Sierras for over 50 years and I've encountered Cats/Bears/Drunks, but never had to use my sidearm, but

45--1911011.jpg

I always have one of my .45s, I don't need a reason-

:costumed-smiley-007:bike_rider: JIMBO

NorthernMexican

I always have my Benelli Super Black Eagle 2 12 ga. with 4x1.25 ounce slugs. I only go camping when I'm hunting; where I hunt I've met face to face with wolves, cougars, lynx, black bears and grizzlies... Wherever there are lot of predators there is lots of prey! Eating elk jerky as I'm typing this, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater