Do you guys use your HARDSHELL RTT in the winter?

reaper229

Hi Everyone
I would like to buy a roof top tent,hardshell this time "A" style.I am from Québec in Canada and we have some good hardcore winters here,do you use them in snow?Mine will sleep in a garage must of the time and i will do some weekends warrior trips with it.What tips or comments you have for me about this.
0ee1a905da6889014f4eee366df2ef4d.jpg
0084ff227375227626b3802a486e1cbb.jpg

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk

NudeLobster

Hardshells are just fine in the winter. THe tent you pictured is not very good quality. It is Chinese made and pretty mediocre for the 25% you save over an Autohome, James Baroud, or Alucab.

For cold weather, Autohome suggests the full pop ups instead of the wedge "A" tents. The tall ceiling of the wedge tent lets your heat rise away from you (good for summer, bad for winter). Autohome's maggiolina crank style also allows you to tension the tent walls tightly to resist wind, snow, and rain.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
I concur, the Columbus style tents are designed for more temperate climates. You will want to look for tent that is more like a mountaineer tent. Crank ups are a good choice as the low roof and small interior volume holds the passive heat down low. Most of your heat loss is through the base so a anti-condensation mat, sort of like a thin box spring as well as an insulated base is really critical. An insulated roof helps as well as walls that breathe and let water vapor pass. I've never used an "winter hood" for the outside but know they will be really useful for cold as wind will pass through water repellant fabric. The hood acts like a windbreaker.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
I tend to disagree with the opinion of the previous 2 posts. I've had a CVT clamshell, "A tent" or whatever you want to call it since 2012. As far as heat loss, so be it. If you have an adequate mattress and need more heat added or kept inside, then you've got 2 reasons that don't bother me. One your sleeping bag is inadequate for winter and reason two, you're doing more in your tent than just sleeping in it. I only sleep in my RTT, I don't pass the time of day - maybe read a little before falling asleep. If your tent is keeping the wind and moisture off your sleeping bag and quarters, it's doing its job, IMHO. On the "A" tents, snow won't build up and it slides off better than the crank up or fold out tents. They're also easier to clean off and pack up in inclimate weather. And you'll find it easier to dress or change clothes with the additional head room. If I need heat added, it'll be in my annex, not the RTT. I have both a winter and three seasons bag and carry both in the RTT, so that prepares me for almost any temp encountered.

Stabwell

I tend to disagree with the opinion of the previous 2 posts. I've had a CVT clamshell, "A tent" or whatever you want to call it since 2012. As far as heat loss, so be it. If you have an adequate mattress and need more heat added or kept inside, then you've got 2 reasons that don't bother me. One your sleeping bag is inadequate for winter and reason two, you're doing more in your tent than just sleeping in it. I only sleep in my RTT, I don't pass the time of day - maybe read a little before falling asleep. If your tent is keeping the wind and moisture off your sleeping bag and quarters, it's doing its job, IMHO. On the "A" tents, snow won't build up and it slides off better than the crank up or fold out tents. They're also easier to clean off and pack up in inclimate weather. And you'll find it easier to dress or change clothes with the additional head room. If I need heat added, it'll be in my annex, not the RTT. I have both a winter and three seasons bag and carry both in the RTT, so that prepares me for almost any temp encountered.

I agree 100%. The tent is there to keep you out of the elements. What you have inside the tent is what keeps you warm and toasty.

I'll take my Alu-cab over the others any day. I've sat through a surprise winter storm in the 20s (Fahrenheit) with 35mph gusts with no complaints. The next morning I had a way easier time stowing my tent than the guys with the other styles too.

NudeLobster

I concur, the Columbus style tents are designed for more temperate climates. You will want to look for tent that is more like a mountaineer tent. Crank ups are a good choice as the low roof and small interior volume holds the passive heat down low. Most of your heat loss is through the base so a anti-condensation mat, sort of like a thin box spring as well as an insulated base is really critical. An insulated roof helps as well as walls that breathe and let water vapor pass. I've never used an "winter hood" for the outside but know they will be really useful for cold as wind will pass through water repellant fabric. The hood acts like a windbreaker.
To add to this, the OP's Chinese plastic hardshell pictured is not insulated on the top nor bottom shell so it's quite terrible for cold weather compared to autohome, alucab, or JB. those big 3 all include 20-30mm of insulation sandwiched in both shell halves.

reaper229

maybe this is my bad english but i mean can i keep the tent on the roof the entire year,winter included,i have some really good sleeping gear since inam a backpacking hunter.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
maybe this is my bad english but i mean can i keep the tent on the roof the entire year,winter included,i have some really good sleeping gear since inam a backpacking hunter.

It is your choice. A good quality hardshell RTT is very durable, low maintenance and yes, can be left on your roof all year. I've had a CVT hardshell for almost 10 yrs now and it has stayed on the roof of my Land Cruiser for most of that time and now resides on my off road trailer, full time. I took it off twice. Once (for 2 weeks)for roof rack maintenance and the 2nd time (for 2 weeks) for a TLCA event called Crusin' the Woods because I had other sleeping arrangements and didn't want the weight of a RTT on my roof for the wheeling. A hardshell RTT is an excellent choice for 1 - 2 persons for camp sleeping quarters. I would just recommend, depending on usage, periodic laundering of your bedding or sleeping bags & mattress cover, but they can be kept in your RTT.

Stabwell

My Alu-cab stays on the roof full time. If I had a tall enough garage and a lift, I'd consider pulling it off, but it's really too much trouble.

As far as bedding goes, I leave it in the tent when I know I'm going camping often.

Last edited:

ivers

Observer
What do you used as insulation on the top?

We use our Alucab all year long, we change our blanket/sleeping bag depending on the weather. We just changed the insulation under the mattress to counter the humidity that our body generate at night.

If you have anymore question I will be more then happy to answering both language, Visit our FB Max & Helen

Attachments

• small.jpg
    small.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 32

Gs WK2

My James Baroud does not have insulated floor sandwich between the fiber glass like Autohome has. Just clarifying for the OP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl