Does anyone bother with the R1200GS Adventure here?

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Did you ever find ADV? There are a slew of lunatics there on them. Some with more money than sense, many that don't do much other than keyboard surf, but even a greater number that are insane and done more miles than I can count.

As for the GSA, it is a love it or hate it bike. People like to clown them due to cost and the strange amalgam of parts and tech out there. And then of course Ewan and Charlie. However, it is the bike that most epitomizes the adventure touring machine with roots in the original flavor of the Dakar.

Personally, I've got 45,000 miles on my '07. I doubt I'll ever sell it. In the first 3 years I put 36,000 miles on it. Then, sadly, we moved to Germany where the drivers scared me and I lost interest. Now we are back and I work from home, so I don't commute any longer. But the odd 1k weekend still comes up.

I've bent both rims, crashed at least a couple dozen times, and beat the machine so bad I fully expected it to cry uncle. In all it's big fat pigness, it doesn't care. Staggering machine.

DIHOWARD

My GS

I bought a GS only because I didn't feel comfortable with the standover height of the GSA.
All the GSA accessories except for the panniers.2009-R1200GSA-Grey-013-e1350158298750.jpg

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
I actually just decided to sell my GSA. It's the bike I've always wanted...it's fantastic for travel...it's more than capable off-road...it's even better than my R1150GS...it's an outstanding machine. However...a month or so ago I was on a 2500 mile trip with a buddy of mine and I had an epiphany of sorts...I realized that traveling to beautiful places, meeting new people, scenic vistas, restaurants, adventures...was somehow less fulfilling when I left my wife and kids at home. I suppose its corny, but after a lifetime of motorcycle travel and winters spent dreaming of even more distant locales to explore, I think I may have lost my taste for leaving my family for a week at a time...I want to share those adventures with them...I think I might want a family expedition vehicle of sorts...I need a GSA with seating for 4. I still love riding and will always have bikes, but I don't think I need the big GS for poking around fire roads or riding to work or one day outings with the boys...probably switch to a single cylinder dual sport that costs roughly as much as the panniers on GSA. I expect crippling buyer's remorse the day after I sell it though.

Well said, and exactly my thoughts. I was planning to upgrade to a GSA a couple years ago. My wife loves to ride, but when we had my son (4 y/o), I didn't want to leave them behind. My solution was to build a small toy-hauler and keep a smaller bike... For now. So when we go camping, but bike comes with me, and I can take an hour to two to explore during nap times or what have you. Seems to work well for now anyway, but I am looking forward to when the wife and I can do weekend trips together again. I might compromise on an 800 (BMW or Triumph) in the next couple years and start building it to be dual purpose. Time will tell.

Don

-

Robert B

Adventurer
I bought an R1200 GS last year. I looked long and hard at the GSA, but it is a tad too tall for me. So, I had the dealer swap out many of the GS pieces for GSA pieces, including the top and side cases, windshield, aluminum head guards, etc. While it is big and heavy and does not sound as cool as my old GPz, I really enjoy riding it, including carving the local canyons with the sport bikes. One of my New Year's Resolutions is to ride more this year.

BlackdogGS

Observer
I have one. This is my second GS. The best bike ever. I have many problem free miles on BMW's. there were some final drive issues with the early R1200's but that is fairly rare now. I love my bike and wouldn't consider anything else.

SimcoeMt003.jpg

BIGVAN

Lead Recon Team
I bought a GS only because I didn't feel comfortable with the standover height of the GSA.
All the GSA accessories except for the panniers.

Don't forget the big gas tank too! That's one of my favorite things about my GSA.
:bike_rider:

I have a lot of miles on the 1200GSA and owned an 1150GSA for a while too.

I love that bike. Having riden most of the available adventure bikes and having owned a KTM950 S for many years, I think the 1200GSA tops the food chain for true adventure touring. I have done enough single track to know that a 1200GSA is a way better dirt bike than most believe.

154954_10150131811773275_2269472_n.jpg

463414_10150820180913275_1668288197_o.jpg

2011 Adventure Motorcycle of the Year

Hi Scott,

That blue Adventure is my old bike, you must've bought it from Mike in Durango....the black powdercoated engine guards and custom Pacific Blue paint are a dead giveaway!!! And that looks like Mikes new 800GS I sold him!!

I owned a GS or GS/PD since 1995 and loved everyone of them!!

IMG-20110820-00932.jpg

IMG-20110820-00959.jpg

I have zero respect for anyone who bitches about the best adventure bike ever made...

IMG-20110917-01152.jpg

No other adventure bike will accept an additional 500lbs on top of it, run 90 mph through the desert and is comfortable enough to do 800 mile days,,

vivanddean_zps7f8e0096.jpg

DSC03032.jpg

Yes, I bleed roundels....

Last edited:

clang

Not Lost, Exploring!
Noob and lurker here, but very active on Advrider for the last decade. I'm in the process of building my adventure wagon - 2004 Ram 2500 Cummins quad cab short bed.

Anyway, I have been a GS fan since 1992. I have a 92 R100 GS (with 124K miles on it that I bought in '93 with 1k miles) and a 2006 R1200 GS currently and have had every version in between as well as a 1981 R80 G/S

My R1200 complete with wife....

IMGP1126-L.jpg

isuzuelffan

I just bought my first 1100GS 95' after years of AfricaTwin RD04s.
mine has127.000 Aussi km on the clock, runs like new. Ask me in a couple of years again when I pass the 300.000 km

The Raven

I had an r1100gs and had looked at the 1200gsa I did not see anything improved. Temperamental electronics, inability to fix much yourself without a computer and top heavy as hell....ever try to keep a bike upright in a tight offroad after a Loooong hot day in the saddle? Then needing two people to comfortably get it upright when loaded. No thank you.

I eventually ended up with a g/s and find it had all the benefits of the GSa like the reliable boxer...but it was aircooled, lighter and simple.

The only downside is the lack of quick online support. I got burned bad by Advrider so any support needs to be garnered by the HUBB or By membership in the MOA.

I had an r1100gs and had looked at the 1200gsa I did not see anything improved. Temperamental electronics, inability to fix much yourself without a computer and top heavy as hell....ever try to keep a bike upright in a tight offroad after a Loooong hot day in the saddle? Then needing two people to comfortably get it upright when loaded. No thank you.

I eventually ended up with a g/s and find it had all the benefits of the GSa like the reliable boxer...but it was aircooled, lighter and simple.

The only downside is the lack of quick online support. I got burned bad by Advrider so any support needs to be garnered by the HUBB or By membership in the MOA.

JoMomma? :oops:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online